Control over trade caravan position

Started by Serenity, September 02, 2016, 05:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serenity

Why do trade caravans love to park themselves right on my defense line? They stay for a few days and a couple of times where caught in a raid. While they can slow down an attacker, they are likely to take casualties. It would be nice to designate a "trader spot" or something like that where they stay. It could have a certain radius and be outside so there is enough space. Visitors move inside the colony so I don't see why traders can't do the same.

nccvoyager

Running with your suggestion here, if you don't mind.

A "trading station" object.  Build it for a certain amount of resources, you place it in a room.
  That room then takes the name of "trading depot" and influences trades.
  If the room is beautiful, clean, well lit, and a comfortable temperature, you can get up to 5% better trade prices.
  A neutral room would convey no bonuses or penalties.
  Otherwise, if there is nothing but blood, vomit, rubble, rough stone floors, rock chunks, rotting corpses, and mechanoid bodies lining the room, it's dark, and freezing/scorching temperature, you could get up to 10% worse trade prices.

This would allow you to control where traders spend time, and would also allow you to work on something to increase your trade profitability a bit.

SpaceDorf

Yep, thats something we need.
Rooms are in the game, room condition recognition is in the game, all we need is a
spot to place where the trader of the group goes to.

You then could build a whole guest complex around the spot, give beds a fourth option for guests
and we made poor Orions Hospitality mod useless.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11444.0

Also while looking up who made hospitality I found that the "Modder-Fullfill-Wishes-Foundation " made this one : Trading Spot
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25579.0

But it should be in vanilla anyway .. I could not imagine DF without the Trade Depot Fortress

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

greggbert

Problem:  Traders idle in dangerous/inconvenient places, get killed by turrets, invaders, mad animals, and friendly fire.  There's no good reason for it, and you can exploit it to get free stuff and all your animals back.

Solution:  Allow building of a trading spot, similar to marriage spot or party spot.  Traders AND VISITORS will wander to the spot and idle there until they're ready to leave.  Ideally you could put tables and beds there and beer/food with nice art work too and they don't have to sleep in toxic rain or eat in a pool of blood.  Perhaps a good experience (saw beauty, ate fine meal, slept in comfortable bed) would improve your faction relations so you could get back into the good graces of angry factions.

Also would be nice if traders can use doors.  Not sure if they can now.  But trading spot more of a priority.

ArguedPiano

The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Serenity

And the Hospitality mod does some of that stuff for visitors. You can build nice rooms for them, improve your relations (and worsen them) and some other stuff.

Alenerel

Serenity

The Trading Spot mod is very nice, but also easily abused. You could kill caravans and then buy back good will from the factions. And while that's also possible now given that they usually stay right on your defense line, that's probably why you won't see such a feature in vanilla.

Thane

Just increase the penalty if they die at the trading spot.

-45 relation, "Your Hotel is a House of Horrors! The Blue Shamans are Appalled!"
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

zeidrich

You can make a party spot.  You can make a marriage spot.  But when traders come, they just stand wherever.

This is annoying because when you trade, they drop their things in the rain where they lose condition until you can haul them away, but they seem to avoid my roofed areas.

Could we have a trade spot, where traders will hang around and we can put a roof over?

Thirite

There's a mod for exactly that somewhere on the forum but it really ought to be part of the base game.

DariusWolfe

Discussions over that mod demonstrate well why you'll probably never see it in the game; It's super easy to exploit. The modder recognizes it as well, but he's said that it's not his job to try to make the mod harder/impossible to abuse; If you add a mod and use it to easily ambush settlers, then that's on you.

deslona

There is a mod that does this. But I agree. It should be in the core game. I hate having my pawns load the caravan or going outside the base to trade/collect trade items.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25579.msg259985#msg259985

As for abuse, if several caravans die, make it so no more will come (No we don't want to go to your colony, it isn't safe).

Jstank

Your right that a trading spot can be exploited, but a caravan launch spot needs to be a thing because there is no way to control where your caravan is loaded up for the journey.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

DariusWolfe

There's a caravan spot mod, too. I only have a Steam link, and a search on the boards here doesn't seem to find it. I haven't had to use it but maybe once, since I haven't done many caravans since I tamed muffalo, but it seems to work alright.

CaravanSpot by xhatti