[1.4] Defensive Positions (1.12.0) Assume the position!

Started by UnlimitedHugs, September 02, 2016, 03:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnlimitedHugs

About
Raids are fun, but positioning your fleshy turrets for battle each single time gets old pretty fast.
Well, now there's an app a mod for that! With the push of a button you can send off your whole colony to man the defensive perimeter. Convenience!

Features

• Each colonist can now be assigned a place to stand, activated on command.
  • Clean and simple- just a single button to work with.
  • Basic and advanced mode- easy to pick up, and more flexibility once your colony grows out.
  • Up to 4 positions can be assigned to each colonist- great for multiple entrances and fall-back lines of defense.
  • Colonists and buildings can be assigned to squads for quick selection. Up to 9 squads can be created.
  • Some useful hotkeys to make your life easier: send everyone to their defensive position, select everyone, undraft everyone.
  • Colonists will automatically man mortars and guns next to their defensive position.
  • Included translations: Spanish (by h771864, 53N4), Chinese (simplified by vednic, duduluu; traditional by duduluu), German (by Lauri7x3), Russian (by Havrus)
How to use

Basic mode

Every colonist now has an additional button next to his Draft command. Everything is done using this button.
First, the colonists need to be shown their assigned defensive position. To do that:

• Draft your defenders and place them where you want them.
  • Select all defenders, hold Shift and click the Defensive position button (or press T).
  • Done. Next time you click the button (or press T) the selected colonists will be drafted and will run to the position you assigned them.
Once you feel like one saved position is no longer enough, you can switch to advanced mode by holding Alt and clicking the button.

Advanced mode

Advanced mode works exactly like Basic, but you have 4 positions to work with. Same deal- shift+click a slot to save a position, just click to send the selected pawns to the position they have been assigned under that number.
Pressing T is the same as clicking the first slot, pressing T multiple times in a row will activate the slot with that number.
You can return to Basic mode by Alt+clicking the button again.

Other stuff

• The shortcut key for the button can be reassigned in the games options.
  • In advanced mode, the "defensive position" and the "send all" hotkeys can be pressed multiple times in quick succession to select the position to send your defenders to.
  • When assigning a position to a colonist, you can just order them to move there and save. That way you don't have to physically move your colonists just to assign them a new position.

Usage

• The HugsLib library is required to run this mod. Download link below.
  • Extract both mods to your Rimworld/Mods folder.
  • Enable both mods in the Mods menu. HugsLib must be loaded first.
  • Enjoy!
Existing saves should work just fine.

Pack policy
Feel free to use and include wherever. Credit is optional.

Source
Github

Download

Github releases: Latest, All releases

HugsLib library (required): Latest

Also available on the Steam Workshop.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

AtomicRavioli

This will really make managing raids with large colonies much easier :)

BaconBits

This is now my new MUST HAVE!    ;)  Fantastic job!   ;D

kaptain_kavern

This one look quite interesting, i'm gonna try it ASAP. Seems well thinked and done

Thx

twoski

Put this on steam my dude

MisterVertigo

This looks amazing! Thank you!

I also would love to see this on Steam!
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Deimos Rast

I know I've seem similar things in the distant archives, but this looks even better.
Thanks.

Is this compat withhh Achtung?!
#StopPluginAbuse

Draconicrose

Definitely adding this to my game! Please put it on Steam, it makes distributing updates so much easier!
I have a Rimworld Let's Play for you -> Let's Play Rimworld Playlist

Pillow Fort

this functionality was actually in one of the a14 mods
not sure which tho

was really missing it since the update x.x
thanks!

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: MisterVertigo on September 02, 2016, 08:23:55 PM
I also would love to see this on Steam!

I might put it up if I ever get the Steam copy of the game. But for now it's the good old download and extract for you, folks :)

Quote from: Deimos Rast on September 03, 2016, 01:19:45 AM
Is this compat withhh Achtung?!

I see no reason why it wouldn't be. Do let me know if you encounter any issues.

Quote from: fishbones on September 03, 2016, 03:22:41 AM
this functionality was actually in one of the a14 mods

Could be, it's all good though. More variety = more better.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

SpaceDorf

Thank you, another one to scratch from the wishlist :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

UnlimitedHugs

Thanks to Vassteel's kind contribution this mod is now available on the Steam Workshop.

orannj

Very nice! I was wondering how I could do something like this and my prayers to the god-emperor have been answered! :)

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: orannj on September 12, 2016, 10:36:43 PM
Very nice! I was wondering how I could do something like this and my prayers to the god-emperor have been answered! :)

Praise be :D
Only thing I'm considering is making and selecting colonist squads with the number keys- unless that's already a feature somewhere.

orannj

I think it'd be pretty neat to be able to set up zones of defense. Setting a zone would let assigned colonists basically garrison the spot, and not leave it. This would be good for places like checkpoints and general muster areas. But it's great the way it is. :)