[B19] Improved Infestation - Fewer Hives, More Aggressive Bugs

Started by twoski, September 03, 2016, 01:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoski

I really dislike how infestation currently works. The hives grow at an exponential rate and don't do much else than that. It just feels lazy and uninspired.

This mod changes how the infestation event works.

Instead of producing additional hives over time, hives will now periodically send out aggressive manhunter insects. If there are more hives, expect to see manhunter insects more frequently. Manhunter insects will attack living beings and attempt to haul them back to their hive. Deal with the hives quickly to avoid having these manhunter insects invade your colony.

Get it now: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=757053824

Non-steam link (and source code): https://bitbucket.org/twoski/rimworldmods/downloads

Licensing:

You may include this mod in a modpack, however do keep in mind that i may update it. It is better if you add this to a steam-based modpack since steam automatically updates when i submit my changes.

You may derive from this mod but please add a visible link to this mod if you do.

Fafn1r

I like it. :D

I have an idea. Drones already have jobs to tend to hives. How about expanding that, instead of simply adding the manhunter effect? Give hunting jobs to megaspiders and hauling to carry the bodies back. Butchering and producing jelly for drones.

Dingo

twoski, I love your mods! Must-have mod for me I think, I like the balance.

*I just wish you had a normal repo, not this everything combined in one source thing.

twoski

Quote from: Nimander on September 03, 2016, 03:56:10 AM
I like it. :D

I have an idea. Drones already have jobs to tend to hives. How about expanding that, instead of simply adding the manhunter effect? Give hunting jobs to megaspiders and hauling to carry the bodies back. Butchering and producing jelly for drones.

I like this idea. Right now i don't think the manhunters actually kill pawns, they just down them (which is strange since manhunters are supposed to kill downed pawns).

The drones could carry back downed pawns though. I'll have to look into it more.

I got a bug report (lol) that this event wasn't working properly, can anyone confirm?

Serenity

But before the man hunter phase they will behave as now and stay with the hives?

twoski

Quote from: Serenity on September 03, 2016, 11:33:06 AM
But before the man hunter phase they will behave as now and stay with the hives?

If there are less than 6 hives, the insects will focus on growing the hive. Once the limit is hit, then the hives start producing manhunter insects instead of new hives. The other insects will stay and guard the hives while the manhunters leave to kill colonists.

Master Bucketsmith

twoski

i updated the mod to scale better from earlygame to lategame

- Hives take between roughly 4 to 6 days to reproduce.

- The maximum limit for hives is now greatly reduced and will vary based on the difficulty level of the event occurring. For example, if the event happens early in the game, the hive limit will be around 5. Late game, the limit will be around 10.

- Once the hives reproduce and hit the current hive limit, the hives will periodically send out aggressive manhunter insects. If there are more hives, expect to see manhunter insects more frequently.

twoski

Made some big changes.

hives no longer spawn in your home area (if at all possible)...

i made the hives reproduce slightly faster than before...

and now insects will attack animals as well as humans and haul them back (live or dead) to their hive. kind of like in starship troopers.

Nanao-kun

By home area, do you mean within the home zone or something else? Also, sounds like it'll make mountain bases much more risk free (not really a good thing).

Facepunch

I encountered a few bugs...And they ate my colony.

Like what this mod does, but what the above says, sounds like removes the worry of infestations from mountain bases for the most part.

twoski

Quote from: Nanao-kun on September 11, 2016, 04:23:29 PM
By home area, do you mean within the home zone or something else? Also, sounds like it'll make mountain bases much more risk free (not really a good thing).

The hives will prioritize starting in a cave.

If the player tries to outsmart this by setting all caves as the home area, then it will spawn them in your home area if it can't find any other spot.

So basically, bases that have large underground sections are still vulnerable to this event. Even if a hive starts in an area that isn't in your base, the hives still have to be dealt with before they spawn manhunter insects or else you're going to have a hard time defending your base under a constant assault by insects.

Nanao-kun

Quote from: twoski on September 11, 2016, 08:47:57 PM
The hives will prioritize starting in a cave.

If the player tries to outsmart this by setting all caves as the home area, then it will spawn them in your home area if it can't find any other spot.

So basically, bases that have large underground sections are still vulnerable to this event. Even if a hive starts in an area that isn't in your base, the hives still have to be dealt with before they spawn manhunter insects or else you're going to have a hard time defending your base under a constant assault by insects.

Ah. That doesn't sound too bad.

Also - I haven't updated to the new version yet (is the non-steam version updated?), but I have an Infestation right near my base and they haven't attacked me at all. It's been there for a pretty long while (maybe half a year or more).

twoski

If you click on a hive it will say whether it is reproducing. If a hive is not reproducing then it should spawn new insects periodically.

I am not sure what happens if you update while a game has an  older version of the stuff running, but i assume it should work fine.

I will update the non-steam version now before i forget to.

mabor0shi

Sounds like u could set all caves except one in the farthest corner of the map to "home area", thus ensuring yor base distance from infestations. But if that's how u want to play the game, the whole point of using mods is to customize the game as u see fit, right? I like the idea that the mod cud b exploited to isolate hives, giving it an optional use for insectophobes. I wanna use this mod as Twoski intended, cuz (now that Twoski pointed it out) I think that vanilla infestations r underpowered. I ain't afraid of no bugs! Bring it on!
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!