[B19] Improved Infestation - Fewer Hives, More Aggressive Bugs

Started by twoski, September 03, 2016, 01:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoski

Quote from: mabor0shi on September 13, 2016, 01:01:09 AM
Sounds like u could set all caves except one in the farthest corner of the map to "home area", thus ensuring yor base distance from infestations. But if that's how u want to play the game, the whole point of using mods is to customize the game as u see fit, right? I like the idea that the mod cud b exploited to isolate hives, giving it an optional use for insectophobes. I wanna use this mod as Twoski intended, cuz (now that Twoski pointed it out) I think that vanilla infestations r underpowered. I ain't afraid of no bugs! Bring it on!

If it cant find a non-home cave then it spawns them in your home area.

Dingo

Yeah but what he meant is it'll only have one area to spawn the cave, because that's the only place -outside- your home area.

twoski

ah. well maybe i'll just introduce a small random chance to have it spawn in the home area regardless then.

mabor0shi

Quote from: Dingo on September 13, 2016, 08:52:07 AM
Yeah but what he meant is it'll only have one area to spawn the cave, because that's the only place -outside- your home area.
thx Dingo. I was saying u cud pick one cave to leave"unzoned" and that cave wud become yor designated hive spot. I don't think it wud b worthwhile, no matter how much u hate bugs. But if ppl want to use (exploit) the mod in that manner, why stop them? Anyway, looking forward to my colony's first Improved Infestation!
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

picollo

Could you possibly think about adding infestations as another option for Ancient Danger locations.
I.e. during map generation game could spawn Mechanoids, cryptosleep chamber, or Insect nest.
Insect nest would be spawned in random place in the  mountain (generate simple cave), and it owuld be invisibile at the begining. But it would be possible that at some point of the game, drones can dig their way to outside world, and then FUN would start.

code99xx

IDK if this is normal or .... in my current game I had a hive spawn so I sent my 2 best shots (i had 3 guys with guns, 1 sucked at it) to kill it. I couldnt kill the thing and had to fall back thinking Ill procure some explosives or something. I said to myself, how hard can it be to defend against the bugs.

Well, it turns out REALLY hard. Every few seconds a new bug would spawn and head straight towards my colony. I kept killing them over and over as they came towards my line of defense but they were just way too many.

I ended up using cheats to destroy the hives, it was impossible to kill them all.

Is this normal?

twoski

it sounds like i may have committed my debug code which makes the hives reproduce 1000% faster.. oops

are you using steam or nonsteam? Try grabbing an updated version if you're not using steam

twoski

ok i did an update. hives now spawn in a random place with a roof. it might be your  base, or it might be some cave. it's totally random.

let me know if i broke something!

O Negative

Definitely using this in my next play through :)

Just the idea of having to save a downed colonist from the main hive is amazing. Worthy of being added to the base-game, in my opinion.

Thanks for putting the work into this!

Etherdreamer

How much you´re going to mod the Hives? I mean, this have a big potential to make a big mod:
Building hives can try to make an base, even with defenders or "organic" hive defenses, also your knowledge could be used to mod Mechanoics, for making them base builders to send attacks periodically, or creating a big attack wave, creating a "landing site" where the mechanoids could come faster from outer space.

Even this it´s aplicable to organized / advanced riders.

mabor0shi

Quote from: Etherdreamer on September 25, 2016, 11:14:44 PM...also your knowledge could be used to mod Mechanoics, for making them base builders to send attacks periodically, or creating a big attack wave, creating a "landing site" where the mechanoids could come faster from outer space.
Sounds awesome to me! I think the most basic version is to make a poison ship part work for mechanoids the way a hive works for bugs. That's a start.
Quote from: Etherdreamer on September 25, 2016, 11:14:44 PMEven this it´s aplicable to organized / advanced riders.
An interesting idea! Siege raiders just hav a preset formation for their sandbags and mortars, but to add turrets and maybe some walls into that doesn't sound hard to me (i know nothing about modding, just an optimist ;D)
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Lexmechanic

*Fewer hives. Hives are discrete objects, so you would have a distinct number of them. The word "fewer" applies best to this situation. The change would soothe my sensibilities, if you are feeling kind.

Etherdreamer

@mabor0shi
Dunno if how much possible it´s if they are "semi intelligent" to check what are your weak points in your base, also if they can just "retread" in their base for healing or improving / calling for help, taking resources nearly etc. Dunno I just having crazy dreams. And also could be really interesting if they actually get camouflage waiting your pawn falls in their traps. Or gets ninja´d sniped.

Canute

Quote- The maximum limit for hives is now reduced and will vary based on the difficulty level of the event occurring. For example, if the event happens early in the game, the hive limit will be around 5. Late game, the limit will be around 10. The number of initially spawned hives also increases with difficulty.
I am playing with the H.P.Lovecraft storyteller on rought and got 4 pawns.
And that are a bit more then 5-10 hives :-)

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]