Tynan is getting nasty

Started by jjgoldman, March 14, 2014, 10:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjgoldman

Quote from: RimWorld changelog
March 14

• Added new styles of raid: immediate assault (no staging time) and center-drop (they drop right into your colony).
  • Reworked early-game alerts into a todo list style. “Need growing zone”. “Build a room”. And so on.
  • Now, if someone tries to get food from a paste dispenser fails, they first try to fill it, even without being assigned as a hauler or cook.
  • Corpse hauling is now globally prioritized above other hauling.
  • Right-click prioritize menu now gives sensible reasons why actions cannot be prioritized (e.g. haul -> “no place configured to store this”)
  • Bill dialog now warns you if you add a bill that no colonist has the skill to do.
  • Drafted pawns now automatically beat adjacent fires.

Ouch.  Now go play Randy Random and hope for the best!

Serrate Bloodrage

Thats pretty damn awesome! I only play Randy Random, there is no story without chaos. I'm hoping Randy gets more random and arms attackers with anything at any point in the game!

If only my colonist could have 'personal time' to reduced stress =D

Ender

Ya i just read that, i was thinking how different my base layouts are gonna have to be now... much more military.
Things are gonna start to get interesting.
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

colonistPally

QuoteCorpse hauling is now globally prioritized above other hauling.

omgomgomgomgomgomgogmomgogmagasdfasdfasdfasdf

porcupine

If your colony is in the middle of a mountain, how would raiders just drop in exactly?

Serrate Bloodrage

I had an escape pod crash inside a bedroom inside a mountain today :)

ousire

I wonder how they will determine what's your base or not? Based on the home zone I assume

Monkfish

Awesome additions! I particularly like the corpse hauling, that's been bugging me for a while.
<insert witty signature here>

UrbanBourbon

Quote from: jjgoldman on March 14, 2014, 10:01:27 PM
March 14

• Added new styles of raid: immediate assault (no staging time) and center-drop (they drop right into your colony).

Now that's just mean! Jesus! There's going to be no peace, and by peace I mean sense of security. I feel that option is the downfall of enjoyment, even for the supporters of Randolph McRandom. It truly sounds like something that's going to wear down players in the long run. It might be fun once, or twice. But after a dozen times? No way. Especially if it can't be prevented. I can already see players sighing and quitting RimWorld for good.

Quote from: ousire on March 15, 2014, 02:57:13 AM
I wonder how they will determine what's your base or not? Based on the home zone I assume
I can think of a few options. Home zone, food stockpile, farming zones, sleeping quarters. Any of the above randomly. If the drop point is determined to be indoors, the raiders could be dropped on the nearby outdoor tile. The drop area could be any outdoor tile that is within 10-30 tile walking distance from any building, and by building I mean a constuction such as solar panel, table or comms station. The outdoor tiles that your colonists frequent could be also used, but that would mean the game would have to track the paths your colonists take and keep statistical data of it.[/list]

OnyxShadow

I see no issue with no-delay assaults. Its a nice change of pace.

Having raiders drop into the middle of a base is tricky, though. Its probably going to need to be a much smaller force than you'd see from the outside during that point in the game (so 12-man generic raiding party and then 3 days later a 3-man drop-in raiding party). Its just very hard to defend against raiders without a wall of turrets, and its not exactly feasible to flood every inch of your base with turrets to prepare for anywhere they can drop-in. So what I guess my point is that I don't necessarily dislike the idea of drop-ins (once again an interesting twist on what can get to be a stale situation), but its got to be reasonably balanced. Having 30 raiders drop in with no warning would be a guaranteed game over in almost any situation.

Psycho0124

Quote from: Serrate Bloodrage on March 15, 2014, 01:22:39 AM
I had an escape pod crash inside a bedroom inside a mountain today :)
It should've landed as slag debris and human flesh. X^P

ShadowDragon8685

Hell. If he's adding drop-pod assaults, when are we getting anti-aircraft turrets?
Raiders must die!

keylocke

i don't really see the raiders dropping down inside of the base as a problem, since i will just have to arrange the unroofed areas like the gardening area, the solar panel area, and the trade launch pad areas so that they would have to pass through a series of roofed defense gauntlets with at least 2-tiers of defenses, before gaining access to the inside of the base.

however, if a kill squad suddenly pops in the interior of my base, then that's probably the time i get to panic. lol.

btw, i was playing with gnomoria lately and they introduced goblin tunnelers to the game (though i've yet to encounter one). basically these guys would dig a tunnel that would randomly pop up inside of your base if you don't stop them. (you can supposedly deconstruct the tunnel, but it would allow enemies to pop inside your base until you do).

hahaha.. chaos is so awesome!  ;D

Jones-250

March 14

[/list]
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Serrate Bloodrage

Hahaha exactly Psycho!

On another note, I don't understand the use of turrets. My colonists can shoot further and inflict more damage. I usually put one turret forward of my defensive line because the raiders focus on it while my pawns mow them down...