[A16] Ubie's Quality of Life Mods (3 mods) (ud:12/20/16)

Started by theubie, September 03, 2016, 07:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AstroChimp

Quote from: AstroChimp on September 03, 2016, 07:54:26 PM
I can finally create a killbox for the traders. MUA HUA HUA
Jokes aside, this is incredibly exploitable. But hey, good work nonetheless.

QuoteNot quite sure exactly how exploitable it would be.  If the traders die you get dinged for it faction wise, so if you put the spot in an unsafe area you're going to eventually run out of traders coming in.  Seems like a self correcting system in that way.

But you can just buy back their "loyalty" back from the money you made from killing them. Over and over. You can even call multiple traders at once. And having a killbox is way easier to deal with like 6 trade caravans at once. I mean, just being able to call a trade caravan it's exploitable enough, but having them standing wherever you want just makes your job easier.
Cat beards should be a thing.

theubie

Quote from: AstroChimp on September 03, 2016, 09:22:13 PM

QuoteNot quite sure exactly how exploitable it would be.  If the traders die you get dinged for it faction wise, so if you put the spot in an unsafe area you're going to eventually run out of traders coming in.  Seems like a self correcting system in that way.

But you can just buy back their "loyalty" back from the money you made from killing them. Over and over. You can even call multiple traders at once. And having a killbox is way easier to deal with like 6 trade caravans at once. I mean, just being able to call a trade caravan it's exploitable enough, but having them standing wherever you want just makes your job easier.

With the addition of sappers, I don't know of any player whose plan it is to make money by coming up with a streamlined system of killing traders, converting their stolen goods into silver, then bribing the faction into liking them again so they can rinse and repeat who doesn't have all potential approaches to their base defended.  The code currently makes the caravans stop as close to your base without being inside of it as they can figure out.  This extra piece isn't really making that much more streamlined for this kind of player.

Having said that, yes a player could use this to better do the above.

AstroChimp

Quote from: theubie on September 04, 2016, 01:27:11 AM
Quote from: AstroChimp on September 03, 2016, 09:22:13 PM

With the addition of sappers, I don't know of any player whose plan it is to make money by coming up with a streamlined system of killing traders, converting their stolen goods into silver, then bribing the faction into liking them again so they can rinse and repeat who doesn't have all potential approaches to their base defended.  The code currently makes the caravans stop as close to your base without being inside of it as they can figure out.  This extra piece isn't really making that much more streamlined for this kind of player.

Having said that, yes a player could use this to better do the above.

Someone posted on reddit a twitch stream of a guy doing this exactly this. He would call 6 to 10 caravans at once and "harvest" them all. The silver alone would amount to 19k.
But I agree with you. I mean, there's tons of other exploits out there if someone wants to do something like it. Not saying your mod is the cause of the issue. Perhaps, this discussion(the exploitable caravan thingy) is better suited at general discussion. Anyway, thank you for this mod. It helps a lot with "friendly fire".

theubie

Quote from: AstroChimp on September 04, 2016, 06:07:21 AM
Someone posted on reddit a twitch stream of a guy doing this exactly this. He would call 6 to 10 caravans at once and "harvest" them all. The silver alone would amount to 19k.
But I agree with you. I mean, there's tons of other exploits out there if someone wants to do something like it. Not saying your mod is the cause of the issue. Perhaps, this discussion(the exploitable caravan thingy) is better suited at general discussion. Anyway, thank you for this mod. It helps a lot with "friendly fire".

I finished writing and posted this mod after a nearly 48 hour insomnia period.  I'm sure I came off as a jerk and felt offense when none was meant towards me.  I am in the wrong for my part and I'm a big enough man (literally...I am huge.  I'm like a shaved Grizzly bear who can code) to admit when I am wrong.

In the end, it's a single player game.  No leaderboard or prizes or direct competition.  If someone wants to exploit anything, they can.  I just make the mods that make my game play more fun, and hopefully someone else finds them useful.

deathstar

I never realised how much I actually need this mod! Any conflicts with Hospitality?

Serenity

Hospitality is about visitors. Not traders. And the author doesn't want to touch traders at all.

theubie

Shouldn't interfere with any mods, really.  Unless they change the Toil names for traders.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: deathstar on September 04, 2016, 01:43:46 PM
I never realised how much I actually need this mod! Any conflicts with Hospitality?

Well now you know :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

AstroChimp

Quote from: theubie on September 04, 2016, 08:38:28 AM
Quote from: AstroChimp on September 04, 2016, 06:07:21 AM

I finished writing and posted this mod after a nearly 48 hour insomnia period.  I'm sure I came off as a jerk and felt offense when none was meant towards me.  I am in the wrong for my part and I'm a big enough man (literally...I am huge.  I'm like a shaved Grizzly bear who can code) to admit when I am wrong.

In the end, it's a single player game.  No leaderboard or prizes or direct competition.  If someone wants to exploit anything, they can.  I just make the mods that make my game play more fun, and hopefully someone else finds them useful.

Let me start by apologizing for the size of the message because of the quotes. I'm kinda new to Forums and such. Weird, I know. And still trying to figure out this whole quote thing.
And don't worry, Theubie. You weren't offensive at all, you were quite nice taking your time to discuss that whole ordeal. Some moders heresimply ignore those kind of posts.
Anyway, thanks for your additions, especially Core Miner. Which I can't think of a playthrough without it anymore. :D And if you ever need like a "beta tester" for any of your other mods, just let me know.

theubie

Quote from: AstroChimp on September 04, 2016, 05:00:04 PM
Let me start by apologizing for the size of the message because of the quotes. I'm kinda new to Forums and such. Weird, I know. And still trying to figure out this whole quote thing.
And don't worry, Theubie. You weren't offensive at all, you were quite nice taking your time to discuss that whole ordeal. Some moders heresimply ignore those kind of posts.
Anyway, thanks for your additions, especially Core Miner. Which I can't think of a playthrough without it anymore. :D And if you ever need like a "beta tester" for any of your other mods, just let me know.

Walls of text do not bother me. :)

If I take the time to make something and release it, I want people to use it.  If people take the time to install and use something I make, they have the right to talk about it.  My time is as valuable as the next guy, so I try to give anyone who wants to talk about/discuss/critique my work my full attention.  Guess it's just the work ethic that was instilled in me by my parents.

And I will probably take you up on the offer soon.  The next mod I'm working on isn't anywhere NEAR close to being usable, but here is a teaser image:

theubie

theubie

DariusWolfe

Quote from: theubie on September 03, 2016, 07:13:21 PM
Reuse Policy:
You can use it in a pack and/or tinker with the source with my blessings.

Instructions unclear. Is this blanket blessings, or do you want people to seek your blessings before fiddling with stuff?

Either way, definitely getting this mod.

Edit: is that a freaking jeep?

theubie

Quote from: DariusWolfe on September 17, 2016, 01:05:11 PM
Quote from: theubie on September 03, 2016, 07:13:21 PM
Reuse Policy:
You can use it in a pack and/or tinker with the source with my blessings.

Instructions unclear. Is this blanket blessings, or do you want people to seek your blessings before fiddling with stuff?

Either way, definitely getting this mod.

Edit: is that a freaking jeep?

Yes. 

Sorry, couldn't resist.  It means all my work is free for anyone to use.  More mods make games better.

hiepbg

Quote from: Serenity on September 04, 2016, 01:45:14 PM
Hospitality is about visitors. Not traders. And the author doesn't want to touch traders at all.

But when i enable both Trading Spot and Hospitality, Trading Spot doesn't  work. Traders continue go to kitchen and to eat all my meals.