[A16] Ubie's Quality of Life Mods (3 mods) (ud:12/20/16)

Started by theubie, September 03, 2016, 07:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theubie

Quote from: Rock5 on October 23, 2016, 08:05:00 AM
Quote from: theubie on September 20, 2016, 11:34:06 AM
Trading spot doesn't change any of the trader's behavior.  It just changes the target they choose to go to when they are on the map.
That's what I would expect from this mod but don't you say in the description that it changes the pack animal hunger? Animals being hungry and eating is a normal core function. Is it possible to get a version that doesn't mess with the animals hunger?

It doesn't change any of the core code.  It simply sets pack animals hunger value to max.  That's what that statement means.  i.e. it plays nice with other mods since it don't change any code that would cause them to error and/or fail to load.

As for a version that doesn't do that, it's possible.  I will see if I can move that to an option within the def that can be changed in the next version.

Dionizos13

One question. After instaled Trading Spot mod, any space traders didnt come, its in vanila game probality or its a bug? ;)

theubie

Quote from: Dionizos13 on October 31, 2016, 10:11:33 PM
One question. After instaled Trading Spot mod, any space traders didnt come, its in vanila game probality or its a bug? ;)

Probably a bug with the game itself or another mod.  The Trading spot mod literally does this:

Sits around for 500 in game ticks doing nothing at all.
On the 500th tick, it asks for a list of all lord jobs on the map.
Looks through all the lord jobs for trade caravan type jobs.
For each trade caravan job, it looks to see if they are moving to the colony or if they are standing around "defending" the caravan (i.e. waiting for you to trade with them.).  If it's one of these two states, it uses the caravan's method to set the target spot to the location of the trading spot. 
It then checks if there are any animals in the caravan.  If they are, it gets their max food level.  It then sets their current food level to the max level (to prevent pack muffalos from eating the food you literally just bought from them.)
Then is sleeps for 500 ticks again.

That's it. 

So, if anything stops working, traders stop coming, etc...it's very unlikely this mod is at fault.

Dionizos13

Quote from: theubie on November 01, 2016, 01:21:16 AM
Quote from: Dionizos13 on October 31, 2016, 10:11:33 PM

Probably a bug with the game itself or another mod.  The Trading spot mod literally does this:

Sits around for 500 in game ticks doing nothing at all.
On the 500th tick, it asks for a list of all lord jobs on the map.
Looks through all the lord jobs for trade caravan type jobs.
For each trade caravan job, it looks to see if they are moving to the colony or if they are standing around "defending" the caravan (i.e. waiting for you to trade with them.).  If it's one of these two states, it uses the caravan's method to set the target spot to the location of the trading spot. 
It then checks if there are any animals in the caravan.  If they are, it gets their max food level.  It then sets their current food level to the max level (to prevent pack muffalos from eating the food you literally just bought from them.)
Then is sleeps for 500 ticks again.

That's it. 

So, if anything stops working, traders stop coming, etc...it's very unlikely this mod is at fault.

Thx

SteelRev

I don't have that problem.  Maybe it's  another MOD interfering with trading spot or you are putting the spot too close to your food supplies.  The caravans wander around the spot and if something they want is in the radius,  they will go for it. 

picatso

Wanted trading spot mod for a long time... and finally I have it!
I like to build large kill boxes and trading caravans just love to park there... between my turrets and traps and raiders.

diannetea

Could a stockpile recolor version be made with only around 10 or 15 colors?  I really don't need that many and the menu is a little overwhelming.

mabor0shi

Quote from: diannetea on November 07, 2016, 10:56:50 AM
Could a stockpile recolor version be made with only around 10 or 15 colors?  I really don't need that many and the menu is a little overwhelming.
I disagree that it's overwhelming. You are easily overwhelmed :P I do agree that people don't need that many colors, though. diannetea, I really like this kind of criticism. I bet a lot of people feel the same. There is a long list of premade options considering there is a custom color option that lets you make your own. That is the most impressive part of this mod, to me. I would love to do that with my mod, it allows a great level of personalization. TL;DR→ menu not overwhelming, but is bigger than we need. IMHO diannetea's idea good, for ppl not so into personalizing.
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

theubie

Couple of things:

1)  My current situation has me...not really able to do much work on mods at the moment.  Life has hit me right between the legs eyes and I'm struggling with a lot of issues so when I do get something that resembles free time to work on stuff, I'm either exhausted or too depressed to do much.

2)  The amount of colors are actually all of the defined colors that Tynan has in the game.  Up to and including the...interesting...names.  To reduce that would mean I would actually have to figure out which ones to show and which to hide.  And that means I'll get people being upset the other way "Not enough pink" for example.  That being said, I'll look into maybe giving a toggle for "less/more" which reduces the colors if I get a chance to.

3)  Unless there is absolutely no other way for me to do something (i.e. mod comparability) I refuse to do multiple versions of the same mod.  Inevitably I will make a change to one version and either not make the change in the other or will overwrite something specific for that version...and then I'm left chasing bugs that just never should have been there to begin with. 

I do understand your requests, though, and they aren't unreasonable.  If I get a chance to make some changes, I'll look into addressing your concerns.

mabor0shi

Thanks for explaining so thoroughly. I just wanted to encourage diannetea's type of criticism, as well as tease her. I have struggled with depression for many years, so I get that part. I was about an hour away from releasing multiple versions of my mod. You gave me something to think about. Mine's pretty simple though. ubie, mods are art. You are an artist. Don't change anything you don't want to. I fuckin love Recolor Stockpile.
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

theubie

I strongly encourage any type of comments, suggestions, criticisms or bug reports.  The worst thing that can happen to me when I release a mod is to have no feedback on it at all.

picatso

Quote from: theubie on November 07, 2016, 06:54:32 PM
Couple of things:

1)  My current situation has me...not really able to do much work on mods at the moment.  Life has hit me right between the legs eyes and I'm struggling with a lot of issues so when I do get something that resembles free time to work on stuff, I'm either exhausted or too depressed to do much.

2)  The amount of colors are actually all of the defined colors that Tynan has in the game.  Up to and including the...interesting...names.  To reduce that would mean I would actually have to figure out which ones to show and which to hide.  And that means I'll get people being upset the other way "Not enough pink" for example.  That being said, I'll look into maybe giving a toggle for "less/more" which reduces the colors if I get a chance to.

3)  Unless there is absolutely no other way for me to do something (i.e. mod comparability) I refuse to do multiple versions of the same mod.  Inevitably I will make a change to one version and either not make the change in the other or will overwrite something specific for that version...and then I'm left chasing bugs that just never should have been there to begin with. 

I do understand your requests, though, and they aren't unreasonable.  If I get a chance to make some changes, I'll look into addressing your concerns.

For (2) Can you maybe group similar colors into... groups and then only shows said groups in the menu. So that when you for example select blue - it will randomly choose any of the blue variants in the group. Maybe make it as an option.

Rock5

I saw a study once about how the number of choices affects people.

They went to some schools and offered something like 20 flavors of jams for sampling which could be purchased if you find something you like. They had positive responses but little sales. Then they did the same test but with about 7 flavors and they had a lot of sales. I think the final result of the study showed that too few or too many choices made the buyers reluctant to purchase. I think it comes down to, if you have too few choices you feel like you might be missing out on something and if you have too many choices it becomes confusing.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

theubie

Updated Recolor Stockpile to 1.0.2.  Added a basic/advanced mode to address concerns over the number of colors in the list.  Steam update coming soon-ish™