[Mod Request] Micro Improvements

Started by LedgeG2, December 07, 2016, 05:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LedgeG2

Hi Modders!

So first a little context. I'm a streamer that primarily plays vanilla gameplay with ease of life UI mods. I do difficult space race challenges on extreme with added handicaps such as Pyromaniacs only. This means that I play a lot of short scenarios with speed in mind so that my stream is entertaining to watch. My goal is to reduce the time spent doing tedious and repetitive micromanagement as much as possible even if it means that it may lead to self-destructive pawn behavior. Forgive me if there are already UI mods that already address the following problems, but I've looked and couldn't find anything myself. I've thought about these problems for a while and have some suggestions that may work, although haven't looked into mod development before, so I'm not sure if they're difficult to implement.

These are the situations which I come across in almost every run, in order of most tedious to least tedious.

(1) Colonists not finishing their time critical jobs: I prioritize a pawn to do a task (or a set of tasks) that needs to be done immediately. The pawn will focus on the task for a short amount of time and then turn around to get food or sleep. I generally have to watch closely and carefully, continuing to re-prioritize over and over.

Improvement Ideas:
(a) Add a toggleable option (such as "emergency") to turn off the automated ability to go and sleep and eat. After the job is done I'm willing to manually turn it back on again.
(b) Force the colonist to completely finish the task before stopping for a break. This would work well with a shift-click ability to que prioritized commands.
(c) Add an option such as "prioritize all" or something to force the pawn to finish all similar tasks to the one that was prioritized in the area.

(2) Setting work priorities: I have very similar templates for almost all of my pawns, and resetting them in the same way in every run is tedious and boring to watch.

Improvement Idea: Have the possibility to save the template globally, so that in every new game, templates for each pawn can be loaded. Or force every new colonist to start with a custom template.

(3) Setting allowed areas: Currently, creating allowed areas to avoid certain regions feels tedious.
Nvm, found a mod to fix this one called JTMoreAreas :)

What do you think?
Twitch - Ledge_G2 (RimWorld livestream)

faltonico

I would suggest you to use fluffy's work tab, a kind person in steam recently updated it to A15.
I haven't use it myself yet, but for what i see in its features, i think it might help you.

sulusdacor

for work:

personly used the refractored workpriorities mod and i felt my colony had a lot less unfinished stuff lying around. as far as i know the mod does just change the priority system of some jobs a bit. so maybe it was just my colony being a bit more effcient and i felt things were going a bit smoother. but you might want to look into these type of mods.

there is some hauling one were the haul near stuff first, can't remember the name and haven't used it myself. plus there was some haulfirst type mod in the past, not sure if it exists for a15. there you could flag items for haul and if these type of work was done by any colonists he would grab the item firsst. i imagine this system could be used with other worktypes too. (haven't seen a mod for other worktypes tho^^)

for eating:

the mod fast day (i think what it is called), turns the eating function on/off. the streamer cannondeath uses this in his colonys. haven't used this one myself, but it seems to work fine. it basicly turns the eating mechanic of the game on and off. meaning you must manualy feed your colonists or they go crazy (the hunger and mood loss from that still exists). so i'm not sure if thats what you are looking for, but i imagine it would result in a bit more efficient work, since they will not take a break to get food. you still have to micromanage.

i assume some similar thing could be done for sleep, were you turn the games sleep function on/off. haven't seen a mod for that.

so yeah, thats the mods i know of, not sure if that is the kind you search, since you still would have to do some part of micromanagment. you should keep in mind that managing your colonists is a big part of the game. so if all would work flawless it would take away a lot of the fun of the game and you would not see some of the funny moment some "problems" create ;)

paragonid

You can possibly just set all day to work/joy in management tab to prevent pawns from going to sleep (didn't test)

Illusion Distort

They will sleep, just not bother to go to a bed, they should just fall unconsious on the ground after a while...

LedgeG2

Quote from: faltonico on December 07, 2016, 03:54:49 PM
I would suggest you to use fluffy's work tab, a kind person in steam recently updated it to A15.
I haven't use it myself yet, but for what i see in its features, i think it might help you.

Thanks, I'll check it out now.

Quote from: sulusdacor on December 08, 2016, 03:52:59 AM
so yeah, thats the mods i know of, not sure if that is the kind you search, since you still would have to do some part of micromanagment. you should keep in mind that managing your colonists is a big part of the game. so if all would work flawless it would take away a lot of the fun of the game and you would not see some of the funny moment some "problems" create ;)

Thanks for the recommendations, although still not quite what I'm looking for. I'm not after mods to remove the need to micromanage (I love micro), I just want to reduce the time spend doing the unnecessarily repetitive tasks. At the moment I get very optimized pawn behaviour, although it requires me to spend a lot of time repeating the exact same commands over and over again.

I agree. I'm starting to realise that there's a bit of a flaw in this game for my play style. The better we get at handling events and the more efficient our pawns work, the less drama happens and the less exciting/horrifying the events feel. I think this generally happens with any strategy game that we begin to master, although with other great games, speedrunning or multiplayer seems to be an option. Speedrunning in RimWorld is ridiculously reliant on RNG and gets frustrating quickly. So I guess I could get mods to dramatically increase the difficulty of the game or set increasingly difficult challenges for myself (which is what I'm doing now). Avoiding pawn micromanagement to overcome challenges when I know that they are capable seems self-destructive to me.

EDIT: Actually that haul first mod sounds pretty useful. I'll try to find it :).

Quote from: paragonid on December 08, 2016, 04:00:28 AM
You can possibly just set all day to work/joy in management tab to prevent pawns from going to sleep (didn't test)

True, even though it doesn't help for eating I might try this next time. Also it's still a little annoying to do (although nowhere near as bad :D). Thanks.
Twitch - Ledge_G2 (RimWorld livestream)