Varied Diet and Food Nutrition

Started by newcadence, September 04, 2016, 01:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newcadence

I always thought it was a bit strange that colonists could survive off a diet of carbs and starches, especially in a game where food and starvation is a major focus. I think a simple system of nutrient deficiency would improve gameplay, make room for some fictional elements, and would make player's farms look prettier.

My idea:

All food items would have nutrient values attached to them (Nothing overly complex, every single vitamin and mineral that enters the body is necessary for a fun simulation.

Nutrient deficiencies may increase susceptibility to disease, cause weak bones, scurvy, make immunity gain slower, e.t.c..

More food options to make the nutrition change possible.

Grains: Potatos, corn, rice serve as is.

Fruit: Berries are regular growth, decent yield for fruit while fruit trees are long-term investments but have a high yield.

Protein: Meat exists as it is. Beans are regular growth decent yield while nuts have a higher yield after a large investment of time.

Vegetables: I don't know what particular vegetables that would be added, but i'd reckon they would follow the same system as the current in-game grains, where one is short growth, small yield, regular growth, regular yield, and high growth, high yield.

Dairy: Just milk. Not necessary for a healthy colony as vegetables can provide calcium, but can boost the general health of a colony with rich calcium sources.

Doc Savage NDMF

If feeding my colonists a solid diet means a better chance of avoiding diseases, better mood stability and a quicker/better healing time then yes; I believe that would be a nice, meaningful add on.
Anything I can do proactively to avoid the monotonous parade of disease and mood crash would be most welcome.

Serenity

I thought about that too a while ago. Banished has a very rudimentary system like this, though in practice it doesn't really matter much because the game mechanics are very simple. But the idea is nice.

Lightzy

I absolutely love the idea of tracking nutrition.

Scurvy without vitamin C, all kinds of deficiencies etc..

Also, vat-grown soldiers and the like never suffer from nutritional deficiency, their bodies  being able to synthesize any nutrient from base organic matter

ThiIsMe007

This is a very good suggestion.

Quote from: Doc Savage NDMF on September 04, 2016, 05:34:02 AM
If feeding my colonists a solid diet means a better chance of avoiding diseases, better mood stability and a quicker/better healing time then yes; I believe that would be a nice, meaningful add on.
Anything I can do proactively to avoid the monotonous parade of disease and mood crash would be most welcome.

Couldn't say it better.

Serenity

I'd at least like for variety to give a mood boost. If I had to eat potatoes ever day I'd go bezerk.

This shouldn't be too hard to implement (unlike the vitamins or minerals). The game already tracks what a cooked meal is made out of.

Wex

I remember back in alpha 7 seeing the malnutrition status and thinking: "I gave to plant some potatoes, berries only are making my people ill!". If only...
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison