my crops won't grow anymore! soil not fertile enough? how to fix?

Started by WonderKlaas, September 04, 2016, 08:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WonderKlaas

hello. I have not read much about this game yet. It was fun to dive in and explore and discover everything without spoilers. This is my 3rd settlement. I thought I had it kinda figured out.
http://imgur.com/a/COMYm 
I am in day 193 now but but seem kinda stuck because my crops for the most part don't grow any more ! I'm facing starvation it seems. I can't find much info on the soil or how to fertilise it.... I tried alternating different plants to maby not drain all the nutrients from the ground... but they still won't grow... it doesnt seem too hot or to dry.

what is "soil fertility sensitivity (plant change)= 0 % " ? all my ground has 0% here .... omg how do i get food now??

Lys

There's a volcanic winter. That reduces the growth rate of outdoor crops.
However seeing that so many plants are just gone I would deem it possible that there is a poison ship somewhere on your map that you haven't dealt with (especially since your indoor crops seem affected as well).

WonderKlaas

AHA YES. I noticed such a poisenous ship on the map.... but it seems quite a walk away from camp so I figured it will only poison soil directly around it. didn't know how to handle it so i just left it there. ok ok ok thanks this (and the volcanic winter) seems the be the problem then..... but... how to handle this poisenous ship?? ;)
*EDIT* it's ok i can google some solutions for the poisenous ship of course

eadras

I made the mistake walling up a poison ship and surrounding it with IEDs, thinking it would make a nice trap for pirates to stumble into.  It just sat there, and eventually my crops began to disappear.  It took me a minute to figure out it was the poison ship; walls don't stop the spread of the poison.  Volcanic winter will slow plant growth, but not cause the plants to instantly die as the poison does.  Learning Rimworld the hard way is half the fun...

MikeLemmer

Just be careful assaulting it; scythers will emerge to protect it. Go en masse, and either get up close with lots of melee or build defenses nearby for your ranged.

Wex

Build a minefield from the side you are atacking, if you can afford it.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

cultist

Quote from: WonderKlaas on September 04, 2016, 08:59:52 AM
AHA YES. I noticed such a poisenous ship on the map.... but it seems quite a walk away from camp so I figured it will only poison soil directly around it.

The poison ship event is confusing because there's no visual indication of what's happening. All crashed ships (psychic and poison) have the spreading snow effect around them, but that's not the actual danger of the poison ship. It will eventually kill all of the plants on the map, but there's no way to tell visually. Your crops just die without warning. You can replant them, but they will die again before they mature. The only way to stop this is to destroy the ship part.

Serenity

Quote from: cultist on September 05, 2016, 09:34:52 AM
All crashed ships (psychic and poison) have the spreading snow effect around them, but that's not the actual danger of the poison ship. It will eventually kill all of the plants on the map, but there's no way to tell visually.
In fact the spreading fog or whatever it is makes it appear that the effect is contained to that area. And I've definitely seen animals near the ship dying immediately. So you get the impression that you have time to react.