Can we get more ways to make our colonists happy?

Started by OnyxShadow, March 15, 2014, 05:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OnyxShadow

Right now the ways to improve morale are few and only provide relatively small amounts of joy to combat the rather large negative factors. It would be nice if we could trade resources/time to improve this.

To me one of the most obvious solutions is the choice of how hard to work the colonists. Work them hard and get stuff done faster at the cost of happiness or take more breaks (even days off) to put everyone in a good mood.

Beyond that, maybe let us provide alcohol (oh no, Mike is having a drunken rampage) or snacks, better furniture, and exotic dancers!  ;D

emraldilian

I'd like this too, currently I run colonies on fear since it's much easier. No need to clean or worry about eating people or making your rooms the right size. Too many negative happiness effects, I'd rather just put a dead colonist in a gibbet cage in everyone's rooms and get them shot when they start having a mental break.

Quasarrgames

Yes. I know this may be slightly ironic, but:

video game consoles maybe?

Wouldn't be unrealistic. Just a rewired comms console.
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

StorymasterQ

Somebody should mod a sun lamp (or something) to become some sort of holographic projector. Put some chairs around it and all colonists sitting will have their happiness raised slightly over time. Could even put it in a room and have it be a Holodeck :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

James009

Yeah, I feel like R&D should develop a bunch of new options to keep people happy including booze (and a pub), refrigeration (better food storage), games, consoles, TVs, radios, and more social stuff. Maybe you could craft items that people can use for fun (ie. handhelds, books, magazines, toys).
Lets Crashland Here Simulator!

StorymasterQ

"Hey, where's Jack?"
"He's still playing that sim game, The Sims X000, I think."
"He hasn't been pulling his weight for days, now. What's the problem?"
"I think he mentioned that his sim guy is stuck in his computer playing this game about being stuck in a rim world."
"Woah, recursion."
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

Coenmcj

Quote from: StorymasterQ on March 17, 2014, 02:23:10 AM
"Hey, where's Jack?"
"He's still playing that sim game, The Sims X000, I think."
"He hasn't been pulling his weight for days, now. What's the problem?"
"I think he mentioned that his sim guy is stuck in his computer playing this game about being stuck in a rim world."
"Woah, recursion."
My word!

The fourth wall has been broken!
We must evacuate before it goes deeper!
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Serrate Bloodrage

With custom thoughts coming in A3 I will be doing quite a bit like this as mods.
I have already created the tech trees for it(expect some long research!) and rough .xml. When I can attach thoughts to use I will be making a bunch of mods

If only my colonist could have 'personal time' to reduced stress =D

starlight

Quote from: OnyxShadow on March 15, 2014, 05:16:42 PM
Right now the ways to improve morale are few and only provide relatively small amounts of joy to combat the rather large negative factors. It would be nice if we could trade resources/time to improve this.

To me one of the most obvious solutions is the choice of how hard to work the colonists. Work them hard and get stuff done faster at the cost of happiness or take more breaks (even days off) to put everyone in a good mood.

Beyond that, maybe let us provide alcohol (oh no, Mike is having a drunken rampage) or snacks, better furniture, and exotic dancers!  ;D

It would be nice to have some kind of *drink* added to the diet. Doesn't have to be alcohol, though that could be one of the options.

What I propose is:
1. Water. Currently missing from the game. Adds lot of depth / changes apart from adding realism.
You get water tiles: rivers, streams, pools. (Doesn't have to flow - graphics not important, can come later)
You can build bridges across them.
You can have swimming as a skill to check who can cross them.
You can add boats
You can have fishing as a means of obtaining food.

You can make a moat and fill it with acid / poison water yikes.........

Monkfish

And natural springs, onto which wells could be built and used to pump water to a storage tank of some description. Perhaps some form of random failure could be added that would result in the loss of some/all stored water. I'm thinking along the lines of overpressure (either due to power surge or due to a full storage tank with the pump still running) that would result in the water storage being compromised and leaking water everywhere. This could cause issues with power systems if the water happens to come in contact with them, or even electrocute colonists (random chance of insta-death) if they happen to be stood in the water when it touches the power and discharges.
<insert witty signature here>

vagineer1

Since berries are in the game maybe we could have a way to produce some sort of alcohol like wine.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Opie

StorymasterQ

AwesumnisRawr188

Quote from: Monkfish on March 18, 2014, 09:21:50 AM
And natural springs, onto which wells could be built and used to pump water to a storage tank of some description. Perhaps some form of random failure could be added that would result in the loss of some/all stored water. I'm thinking along the lines of overpressure (either due to power surge or due to a full storage tank with the pump still running) that would result in the water storage being compromised and leaking water everywhere. This could cause issues with power systems if the water happens to come in contact with them, or even electrocute colonists (random chance of insta-death) if they happen to be stood in the water when it touches the power and discharges.
This is awesome! I don't like the insta-death part although it's realistic though. Maybe insta-incap to make it a tidbit fairer.