Where's the grass?

Started by WhyBorne, September 05, 2016, 12:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhyBorne

So, I've noticed that grass (the regular kind, not hay grass) doesn't seem to grow anywhere except on the edges of the map. Sure, when I start my colony and first crash there is plenty of grass around everywhere. The first freezing winter wipes it all out, but it only seems to grow along the edges of the map in every following spring, summer, and fall. I've noticed the first 45-50 tiles from the edge of the map have tons of grass, but there is scant amounts in the middle 200x200 tiles (on a 300x300 map).

This makes it a bit difficult to send out my herd animals get some food and also means most wild animals stick to the edge of the map too.

Is this WAD? Is there something glitched? Or, am I just missing something?

Juan el Demgrafo

It's always been like this. It seems that Tynan hasn't retuned it in A15. I've heard the suggestion to just plant a dandelions and they'll grown so that it isn't all bare ground.
240 hours on Steam of this 2017-7-23.

Quote from: Shurp on July 29, 2016, 06:30:22 PM
...tell her to go stand in the corner of her bedroom, and beat her when she tires of it.

I really need to finish researching beer.

Jinxi

Quote from: Juan el Demgrafo on September 05, 2016, 12:33:39 PM
I've heard the suggestion to just plant a dandelions and they'll grown so that it isn't all bare ground.

Yes, thats what im doing. I create an animalzone and in this zone i plant dandelions until i can produce enough kibble.

WhyBorne

Good suggestion with the dandelions; that is something I just started using in my newest colony. I guess I'll expand the field...

MeowRailroad

So THAT's what was happening... I always thought my longer-lasting maps seemed a little off...
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

christhekiller

There's also flashstorms and lightning storms which will wipe out huge swaths of grassland in minutes.

mumblemumble

I've noticed this too...maybe grass seeds should have a chance to go much further, carried by the wind. Or maybe even fall from the sky.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Pillow Fort

new weather suggestion: pollen
tends to happen in spring
grass has a chance of growing on exposed soil
colonists not under a roof have a chance of catching hay fever

picatso

I agree, I think grass needs to start growing everywhere starting spring, not just at the edges of the map. After a couple of seasons the centre of a big map turns into a wasteland, all new animals are concentrated at the edges of the map where the grass is.

DNK

I believe this is easily editable in thingdefs_plants for wild_plants_temperate.xml. A line about MTB pollination or some such. Change to like 0.1 days and it should make the grass spread rapidly.

Calahan

Quote from: Juan el Demgrafo on September 05, 2016, 12:33:39 PM
It's always been like this. It seems that Tynan hasn't retuned it in A15. I've heard the suggestion to just plant a dandelions and they'll grown so that it isn't all bare ground.
Tynan mentioned in a recent post on reddit that plant reproduction has been re-tuned for A16.

Tynan - "I've already re-tuned plant reproduction for A16 so this should be alleviated in future."
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5a60jx/so_a_thrumbo_just_selftamed/d9efpg4/

Although I do not know if this re-tuning also includes changes to how dandelions currently spread (or don't).

Tynan - "They (dandelions) don't reproduce if there are enough of themselves around already. It's a bit weird, though."
https://ludeon.com/mantis/view.php?id=2592