Get these walking bombs away from my home!

Started by Simon_The_Space_Engineer, September 05, 2016, 12:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

so one of my biggest fears is not only a psychic wave going over and making all the animals with "boom" in there name go mad since you can just shoot them, but it happening while they all take refuge around my farm, eating my crops! It also scares me when predators near my colony with the exploding animals near by (although they seem to avoid them) they do sometimes get the munchies for colonist flesh. There needs to be a way to scare off animals from certain areas or get them to not want to approach, maybe real world things like bear repelant for short term scaring off and for long term maybe something similar to a scare crow which attracts the animals (or tribesmen/colonist) spins around and makes loud noises when they approach(chance that it is triggered by a colonist and scares them giving them a mood debuff of "That thing scared the crap out of me!" though there would be that)
Also good for trying to scare off tribesmen but requires more research so it can identify tribesmen from everyone else (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoxXMy-NStk like in this video) and of course there could be a new trait that is "Fearless" making them act like the fine gentlemen at around 55 seconds (as well as giving them a slight melee boost) and just staring at the thing.
Point is that if it where added it would be great for keeping animals out of your colony so they dont explode and set fire to everything, all your food, and the poor colonist who gets confused and wanders into the fire.
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

SpaceDorf

Concrete, kibble and taming are your friends.
Concrete or rock blocks make fire breaks and places where boom does not matter.
Kibble keeps predators fed and lures boomsticks out of your fields.
Taming also keeps predators fed.
And only hungry predators will attack your colonists. Also no predator is stupid enough to eat boom-a-critters. Not when yummie pawns are around ☺
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

TrashMan

Fences and walls.

Fences for your farm will keep the boomrrats from eating your crops

cultist

The only real solution is walls. If you want to keep critters away from your crops, you need walls around your fields. If you want your pawns to be safe from predators, you need to keep them behind walls.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: cultist on September 06, 2016, 10:26:32 AM
The only real solution is walls. If you want to keep critters away from your crops, you need walls around your fields. If you want your pawns to be safe from predators, you need to keep them behind walls.

And armed, and armored and bears as pets ..

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Quote from: SpaceDorf on September 06, 2016, 10:56:14 AM
Quote from: cultist on September 06, 2016, 10:26:32 AM
funny part is that im trying to keep the critters away since the bears always wander into my colony. I was trying to tame a muffalo which i failed and it was immediately slaughtered by a bear after. Before that a bear tried to kill a muffalo which had self tamed

And armed, and armored and bears as pets ..

SpaceDorf

Yeah, I like to repeat it everywhere.

Bears are awesome !
Easier to train than Wargs easier to feed than Wargs and still own Wargs 1vs1

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Quote from: SpaceDorf on September 06, 2016, 02:05:22 PM
Yeah, I like to repeat it everywhere.

Bears are awesome !
Easier to train than Wargs easier to feed than Wargs and still own Wargs 1vs1
i had a bear once named earl. their only weaknesses are suprise attacks from rhinos! he lost one of his paws

Dingus

Boomrats are fine and manageable.
Fuck Boomalopes.
Quote from: Noctis on September 13, 2016, 03:56:44 PM
No rest for the staggeringly ugly and abrasive, I guess.

Wex

I had a random "boomalope herd joins" event during a siege.
All I had to do was making the pirates start attacking the colony, and having the boomalopes in a confined area, then throw them to the pirates from behind a mountain.
Fun times people.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Aatxe360

Ah yes.  Training boomalopes to be suicide bombers.   ;D

What I'd like to see is being able to craft armor for tamed animals to be more durable. 

Dingus

Quote from: Wex on September 17, 2016, 07:36:43 AM
I had a random "boomalope herd joins" event during a siege.
All I had to do was making the pirates start attacking the colony, and having the boomalopes in a confined area, then throw them to the pirates from behind a mountain.
Fun times people.
Why didn't I think of this? Make an animal zone where the siege is and forbid the boomalopes to it!
Quote from: Noctis on September 13, 2016, 03:56:44 PM
No rest for the staggeringly ugly and abrasive, I guess.