A list of things that make no sense.

Started by username1, September 05, 2016, 07:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

username1

1.  Incapable of violence - This means a person cannot defend him/herself but can butcher animals.  It would make a lot more sense if this was changed to incapable of shooting as there is no such thing as incapable of violence in the real world unless you have buddhist-monk skill 20.

2.  Animals that are shot at from range will stand around and let themselves be killed.  Similar to incapable of violence this makes absolutely no sense.  I don't care what kind of animal you are you would choose to either run away or fight.  You damn sure aren't going to go back to sleep after getting shot in the face.

3.  Downed characters can last an absurd amount of time without aid.  I'm serious, I had a guy live for over a week happily wiggling face down in the dirt.  No animals attacked him, he didn't bleed out, he just wiggled.

4.  Characters incapable of hauling can haul as long as you keep telling them to build things instead of asking them to haul.  Are they incapable or not?

I'm sure there are more...

Serenity

Quote from: username1 link=topic=25660.msg260755#msg260755Characters incapable of hauling can haul as long as you keep telling them to build things instead of asking them to haul.  Are they incapable or not?
That's because bringing materials for build jobs falls under construction. Not hauling. This also means that without more granularity in the work priority menu, you can't send pawns to bring your builders stuff. They always do it themselves.

Trenix

The fact that some people can't do certain things, is a bit ridiculous. I run into problems where my people are just incompetent, requiring me to restart otherwise it's just a circle of knock outs and bed rests until my people die from starvation or running in the woods to pick a fight with a bear. They never can resolve the problem of why they're so unhappy, because they're incapable of doing their job. Imagine a group that can't clean, what am I supposed to do, build a new building because they can't clean up after themselves?

The game is funny and humerus at points, but it starts to get old fast. At one point you want to actually accomplish something, but you have difficulty due to an awful amount of nonsense. Also what about the group of brawlers who can't hunt because that requires them to use a gun? They're more concerned about the weapon they use over obtaining food in a survival situation? Important roles like cleaning and hauling should be things all colonists should do for the sake of having a reliable game.

Fusha

Quote from: username1 on September 05, 2016, 07:37:21 PM
1.  Incapable of violence - This means a person cannot defend him/herself but can butcher animals.  It would make a lot more sense if this was changed to incapable of shooting as there is no such thing as incapable of violence in the real world unless you have buddhist-monk skill 20.

Butchering a corpse isn't really violence. If you ask them to slaughter a tamed animal, they will still refuse to do it.

SpaceDorf

Brawlers are perfectly able to use guns. They are not happy about it, the same way a prostophobe is not happy about a bionic arm.
Makes sense to me.

Not hauling and cleaning on the other hand really makes no sense.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Lightzy

instead of "can't do violence", just do 0 weapon skill I think. Would fix that silliness.
You can't have a "moral compass" trait that overrides basic self preservation. It's very unintuitive for the player

nccvoyager

Remember that these are things the pawns, as "people," refuse to do.  Pawns may refuse to do something due to personal preference, a religious obligation, psychological trauma they sustained earlier in life, simply because they are really really lazy, or for other reasons.
  In real life, there are many reasons someone may refuse to become violent, even under extreme conditions.  Some people have, in fact, been on the receiving end of so much trauma, fear, and pain, they have psychological trauma that causes them to be incapable of violence, even in life-threatening self-preservation conditions.
  The reason a non-violent person is capable of butchering (not slaughtering) an animal is due to the game mechanics counting "butchering" as a cooking job, not a violent one. 
  As for cleaning and hauling, again, perhaps the pawn received trauma at a young age that causes them to draw a parallel between being harmed, yelled at, or worse, and cleaning.  We are out on a Rim World; psychologists and psychiatrists aren't exactly a luxury that can be afforded, so they live with these problems.
  I am currently playing a colony with 11 pawns.  I started with one pawn incapable of cooking, one incapable of cleaning and hauling, and one incapable of none, but with a bad back.  The first three pirates and outlanders I recruited were incapable of hauling and cleaning.
  If you are tired of starting with colonists incapable of things, you can always "randomize" the colonists until you get a colonist capable of anything.
  Do remember; technically, this is a colony simulator.  A real colony would have those people that simply refuse to do things, regardless of whether or not they are important to their own survival.  This happens plenty in real life.
  As mentioned, hauling materials for a job is considered that job type, and not the hauling work type.  This is attributed to the inability for pawns to haul things for others to work with, though I always imagine it as "This guy refuses to haul things to storage, but he agrees that going and getting stuff to cook with is fair."
  Pawns can be downed for many reasons.  A pawn with 252% blood loss per day due to being filled with bullet holes will bleed out really quickly.  Pawns downed due to broken bones will be downed due to extreme pain, or an inability to walk, but won't die from their injuries.  This is true in real life as well.  (With the exception that broken bones can often mean internal bleeding, but that isn't simulated in the game. Yet.)
  Animals. If every single animal attacks as soon as you shoot at it, pawns get gored to death very quickly.  Having an increase in the chance of the single "manhunter" events on animal injury would be nice, though having most animals adopt a "flee" state after injury might be best.

CannibarRechter

Quote from: username1 on September 05, 2016, 07:37:21 PM

My personal opinion is that unless someone is physical crippled in rimworld, that "incapable of" is a bad game mechanic. Instead, it should be "capable, but there will be consequences." In some cases, like hauling, I'd adopt the simple mechanic of a debuff. In the cases of violence, perhaps there would be a high case of a break risk during combat.

Quote2.  Animals that are shot at from range will stand around and let themselves be killed.  Similar to incapable of violence this makes absolutely no sense.  I don't care what kind of animal you are you would choose to either run away or fight.  You damn sure aren't going to go back to sleep after getting shot in the face.

I agree, practically nothing should stand around. Flee or charge.

Quote3.  Downed characters can last an absurd amount of time without aid.  I'm serious, I had a guy live for over a week happily wiggling face down in the dirt.  No animals attacked him, he didn't bleed out, he just wiggled.

Well, it could literally take a week for someone to die IRL. People are amazingly resilient. If you wanted to argue that for some reason this is a bad game mechanic, can you say why?

Personally, I'm sometimes a bit irritated at how much a PITA it is to give the whole battlefield the coup de grace. We have to be careful what we wish for here, unless you want the invaders putting your pawns down, though. So what do you have in mind?
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Doc Savage NDMF

1.  Incapable of violence - ...
My personal opinion is that unless someone is physical crippled in rimworld, that "incapable of" is a bad game mechanic. Instead, it should be "capable, but there will be consequences." In some cases, like hauling, I'd adopt the simple mechanic of a debuff. In the cases of violence, perhaps there would be a high case of a break risk during combat.

The consequences... Little Sally doesn't shoot. She has a crisis of conscience and freezes up. Instead of not having her on the line wasting a weapon you her have in a role that gets all of her fellow colonists downed or killed.
I'll take incapable of violence for $800...
"What is a legit personal stance some people take."
I like the debuff idea, but the reality is some people just aren't fighters or violent.

Quote2.  Animals that are shot at from range will stand around and let themselves be killed.  Similar to incapable of violence this makes absolutely no sense.  I don't care what kind of animal you are you would choose to either run away or fight.  You damn sure aren't going to go back to sleep after getting shot in the face.

I agree, practically nothing should stand around. Flee or charge.

This would go away if the shots fired worked properly. Watching level 10+ hunters with good+ sniper rifles or even the landing rifle spend a whole day shooting and shooting and shooting is silliness. What's the point of having skill levels if RNG and shot mechanics are just going to waste your time. A good hunter could/would/should one shot most animals when properly equipped.
Agreed most game would run. Smaller game should scatter, likely a lost target with a miss. Large game would bolt, maybe you can keep up or track, maybe you can't. Some would stay put for a bit until the threat actually registered. (I'm looking at you, muffalo...)
After being hit, that changes a bit. Animals would scatter, albeit slower and blood lossy and dazed and meandering like. Even if they bolt they won't go far if the shot hit something vital.
IMHO though, accuracy needs fixing long before animal behavior does, as that would take care of many of the animal wandering issues.

Quote3.  Downed characters can last an absurd amount of time without aid.  I'm serious, I had a guy live for over a week happily wiggling face down in the dirt.  No animals attacked him, he didn't bleed out, he just wiggled.

Well, it could literally take a week for someone to die IRL. People are amazingly resilient. If you wanted to argue that for some reason this is a bad game mechanic, can you say why?

I can see this going both ways. It goes both ways in my game. That we don't see the pawn do anything but wiggle could lead one to believe they are doing nothing. But wiggling. I don't see it that way. Some pawns know enough to apply pressure, nibble that ration they're carrying. Sip their water as they hope for someone to come rescue them. Survival instinct is a powerful thing. If we can survive the crash an build a life, surely someone can survive a gunshot. I'd leave it be as it is TBH.

My stupid pawn tricks are the painfully obvious ones...
The surgery mistakes.
The absolute child like pawn behavior.
The prison mentality and prison violence.
Walking past items that need to be carried to a storehouse.
Create a tomb...
_

Serenity

It's everything that is downed lasting a huge amount of time. Same with animals. Or the absolute worst: mechanoids and especially centipedes. You have to spend ages standing there shooting them. Bringing them down should be hard, but once they are incapacitated there should be a way to easily kill them.

TrashMan

Quote from: nccvoyager on September 06, 2016, 02:54:38 PM
As for cleaning and hauling, again, perhaps the pawn received trauma at a young age that causes them to draw a parallel between being harmed, yelled at, or worse, and cleaning.

Wut?  :o

QuoteAs for cleaning and hauling, again, perhaps the pawn received trauma at a young age that causes them to draw a parallel between being harmed, yelled at, or worse, and cleaning.  We are out on a Rim World; psychologists and psychiatrists aren't exactly a luxury that can be afforded, so they live with these problems.

Psychologists and psychatrists are dead weight too. Humanity has been doing fine and dandy without them for centuries. Hell, they'll probably only make things worse.

QuoteDo remember; technically, this is a colony simulator.  A real colony would have those people that simply refuse to do things, regardless of whether or not they are important to their own survival.  This happens plenty in real life.

A real colony that struggles to survive would have those waste of space exiled/shot.
And no, it doesn't happen "plenty" in real life.

CannibarRechter

Quote from: Serenity on September 07, 2016, 05:35:04 AM
It's everything that is downed lasting a huge amount of time. Same with animals. Or the absolute worst: mechanoids and especially centipedes. You have to spend ages standing there shooting them. Bringing them down should be hard, but once they are incapacitated there should be a way to easily kill them.

With mechanoids, you can just turn them off. It's still annoying though, as you have to add a bill. You should be able to mass select "dying" things and slaughter them.

Serenity

With mechanoids, you can just turn them off. It's still annoying though, as you have to add a bill.
Maybe I'm missing something, but you can dissemble mechanoids of course and get some sweet plasteel. But that doesn't work when they are merely "incapacitated".

CannibarRechter

You are missing something. When the mech is incapacitated, click on it. Click it's health tab. You'll see a Bill button. You can turn it off, from there. That's also the means by which you can extract scyther blades.

Serenity

Thank you. And I've been killing the things the whole time and apparently missed out on loot. :)

But I blame this on more UI inconsistencies. Maybe the point is to limit this to certain jobs, but why not do it the same way you strip corpses? That way it would be obvious