A list of things that make no sense.

Started by username1, September 05, 2016, 07:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CannibarRechter

Quote from: Serenity on September 07, 2016, 07:56:36 AM
Why not do it the same way you strip corpses? That way it would be obvious

Fewer clicks, too. I'd prefer the ability to select them all, and have the orders done in one fell swoop. I'm okay with the spawns having to conduct tasks. As it is, the task is so tedious, I just use the Dev Console Kill command when all the mechs are laying there.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Trenix

Quote from: SpaceDorf on September 06, 2016, 03:59:40 AM
Brawlers are perfectly able to use guns. They are not happy about it, the same way a prostophobe is not happy about a bionic arm.
Makes sense to me.

Not hauling and cleaning on the other hand really makes no sense.

A person would rather use a melee weapon over a ranged weapon? I don't I've ever heard of something like that. I could understand the bionic arm part, lots of people don't like they way they look so they find ways to alter their body, this is common and believable. My person is going to go crazy and beat up people because they don't want to use a gun? Sorry that makes no sense.

nccvoyager

Quote from: TrashMan on September 07, 2016, 05:54:24 AM
Wut?  :o

Psychologists and psychatrists are dead weight too. Humanity has been doing fine and dandy without them for centuries. Hell, they'll probably only make things worse.

A real colony that struggles to survive would have those waste of space exiled/shot.
And no, it doesn't happen "plenty" in real life.

Psychological trauma, such as being beaten by your father for trying to clean the house, can lead to a psychological link between doing something, and thinking you will be harmed.
  As such, people have refused to do certain things later on in their lives in fear that they will be harmed for doing it.  This ties in to psychiatrists and psychologists who can provide therapy to help deal with these fears.

Have we, humanity, really been "doing fine and dandy without them for centuries" in regards to psychiatrists and psychologists?
  Humans have horrendously tortured the mentally ill, calling it "exorcism" for centuries.  Then, we began treating mental illness by sending those mentally ill off to war, ensuring they would die and no longer be a burden.  After that, we began to imprison them, often in terrible conditions, and use them for experiments akin to torture.  We began to prescribe them medication, which we had no idea what it would actually do at the time.  We lobotomized them, destroying portions of the brain in an attempt to "cure" their mental illness, often causing them to lose the ability to feel emotions.
  Finally, only recently, have we actually begun to help the mentally ill, with proper medical care and therapy, to actually work on controlling their illness.
  Yet, you tell me we have done "fine and dandy" without these therapists for many centuries?
  I agree that many private psychiatrists and psychologists are often no more helpful than a bottle of vodka for helping deal with mental illness, though I myself have seen how much a psychiatrist working through a government-funded mental health program here in Canada can help.  (Someone I know was dealing with trauma from their childhood. The fact they were also dealing with mild psychosis did not make things easier for them.  After two years of therapy and various medication changes, they have pretty much dealt with both their trauma, and they also have their psychosis under control.)

On the topic of, as you put it, "A real colony that struggles to survive would have those waste of space exiled/shot."
  I say to you that you always have that option in RimWorld.  Draft a colonist, and force them to shoot the person you want killed.  Or, add a bill to their health tab to euthanize them.  If you want to be really cruel, kill them by way of removing a kidney, and then removing both their lungs.
  As for you saying "And no, it doesn't happen "plenty" in real life."  I must say, there are many cases where people simply refuse to do things, out of personal moral obligation, religion, trauma, or any number of other reasons.

Anyways, my point is, in the end, you can choose to not have incapable colonists in your colony.  It really is your choice.

MeowRailroad

In some instances it doesn't make sense how a noble or similar character would REFUSE to do any hauling, construction, or something else even if it meant life or death.

Pawn 1 (sick in bed) "Please... Please go haul that medicine across the map to speed up treatment time!
Pawn 2 (incapable of hauling) "But I could break a nail!" *Alarm rings* "It looks like it's time for your treatment. I'll go walk across the map to get your medicine."
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

BlueWinds

I like incapable - but it should be quite rare. It'd be interesting if there were only a few backstories that disabled things - "mauled by bears" childhood disabling animals, or "sex slave" disabling violence. As it is though, way too common and thus obnoxious.

Sheriff giving -3 on all those skills? Fine, they're bad at everything except violence. Sheriff disabling half the actions in the game? Frustrating as hell.

CannibarRechter

I've said it before, but I'd suggest that we use the precedent of Brawler for many of the current "incapable of" traits, and instead associated a debuff with being forced to do that thing. In the case of incapable of violent, it could range from outright refusal, to "it might be serious mistake to make me," as a mental break during combat might be real risk with that one. With the latter, it might be fun if the game had a way of modelling mentality progression, like, the pawn develop's past their weakness if they can get through a few violent sessions without breaking.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Fusha on September 06, 2016, 02:29:07 AMIf you ask them to slaughter a tamed animal, they will still refuse to do it.

How did no one challenge this?

Incapable of violence disables Shooting and Melee, that's it. Slaughtering an animal isn't governed by either of those skills, it falls under Animals (which is strange, but I guess there's nowhere else that makes sense).

nccvoyager

Well, in the "work manager" it is labeled as being "handling" in English.
So, "animal handling" may include the slaughtering of animals, I suppose.

On the topic of things that make no sense, I do actually have one...
I recently found out that a colonist with two simple prosthetic arms can not melee attack without a melee weapon, apparently because he has no fingers, but he can shoot a gun.
What?

Generalkrunk

Incapable of violence - Still capable of going berserk and killing everyone in the room though.

Everything burns.

Jimyoda

Quote from: Generalkrunk on September 09, 2016, 06:34:32 AM
Incapable of violence - Still capable of going berserk and killing everyone in the room though.
Wow, yeah.... That. is. so. broken.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Trenix on September 07, 2016, 04:57:21 PM
Brawlers are perfectly able to use guns. They are not happy about it, the same way a prostophobe is not happy about a bionic arm.
Makes sense to me.

A person would rather use a melee weapon over a ranged weapon? I don't I've ever heard of something like that. I could understand the bionic arm part, lots of people don't like they way they look so they find ways to alter their body, this is common and believable. My person is going to go crazy and beat up people because they don't want to use a gun? Sorry that makes no sense.

Never heard of the Batman ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Boston

Quote from: SpaceDorf on September 12, 2016, 06:25:55 AM
Quote from: Trenix on September 07, 2016, 04:57:21 PM
Makes sense to me.

Never heard of the Batman ?

There is a difference between "philosophical refusal to kill" (which is really Batman's main thing, not just him refusing to use guns), and "having a psychotic break due to holding a firearm", mate.

SpaceDorf

Not according to Nolan's Batman :P

But still of all the examples in here, I still think the Brawler Trait makes the most sense of all.
"I don't like guns ( for whatever reason ), I prefer to punch someone in the face"

Also it's only when the pawn is wearing a gun, so if he still has burning passion for his shooting 15 skill ( which is kind of stupid anyway ^^ ) .. then he gets no gun in peace time and has to suck it up otherwise .. the break, like in all cases does not come from a single reason, the last reason is always just that .. the last drop in an allready full bucket of crap.

On top of that who am I to refuse someone the chance to be the shieldbait of my colony ?
How else should I decide ?

What I don't get is why the Trigger Happy's don't get a similiar debuff or buff for using guns or melee. Also they should actually use their guns when going on a rampage  ;D
( and why I never get TH Pawns with passion in shooting )

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Tenebrae

In regards to those incapable of violence: I assume that it's more of a choice than an inability. You would think that an individual's instincts towards self-preservation must kick in...but then you read a story about a Buddhist monk who calmly sat down and slit himself aflame in silent protest as he slowly burned to death...never once uttering a sound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%ADch_Qu%E1%BA%A3ng_%C4%90%E1%BB%A9c#Day_of_the_act

I guess pacifists survived well into the future of Rimworld. Now, when it comes to animals...yeah, that's silly.

Dingus

Quote from: CannibarRechter on September 07, 2016, 07:37:31 AM
You are missing something. When the mech is incapacitated, click on it. Click it's health tab. You'll see a Bill button. You can turn it off, from there. That's also the means by which you can extract scyther blades.

jesus christ thank you so much
Quote from: Noctis on September 13, 2016, 03:56:44 PM
No rest for the staggeringly ugly and abrasive, I guess.