[A17-B18] Trap Defence V1.1 ~ Updated (11/26/17)

Started by BaconBits, September 06, 2016, 12:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaconBits

A16 Version is up. If you have any issues let me know.

asquirrel

amodchecker

can you add in floor saw traps?  or dart shooting walls?
you can include my mods in your mod pack,  but you must give credit to me and there must not be any amount of money involved,

you can make mods of my mods as long as you give credit

you must inform me if you use my mods in any way shape or form

masterpain

Is there a way to disable colonists from triggering traps like floor spikes?  I edited the "Buildings_Security_SpikeTraps" file to this:

<MaxHitPoints>200</MaxHitPoints>
         <WorkToMake>400</WorkToMake>
         <TrapMeleeDamage>100</TrapMeleeDamage>
         <TrapSpringChanceEnemy>1.0</TrapSpringChanceEnemy>
         <TrapSpringChanceColonist>0.0</TrapSpringChanceColonist>

I even changed a multiplier setting "trap spring chance colonist" to 0% in the game settings.

Even after that, 4 of my colonists still triggered the spikes and killed them lol.  Any help would be appreciated. 

stigma

Quote from: masterpain on January 14, 2017, 12:20:30 PM
Is there a way to disable colonists from triggering traps like floor spikes?  I edited the "Buildings_Security_SpikeTraps" file to this:

<MaxHitPoints>200</MaxHitPoints>
         <WorkToMake>400</WorkToMake>
         <TrapMeleeDamage>100</TrapMeleeDamage>
         <TrapSpringChanceEnemy>1.0</TrapSpringChanceEnemy>
         <TrapSpringChanceColonist>0.0</TrapSpringChanceColonist>

I even changed a multiplier setting "trap spring chance colonist" to 0% in the game settings.

Even after that, 4 of my colonists still triggered the spikes and killed them lol.  Any help would be appreciated.

You should simply make sure that there is always a path (including diagonals) to each trap. As long as there is - pawns will never step on traps willingly (since A17). They will if they are "forced" to - ie. if the only way to get to a trap (usually to reset it) is to step on another trap.

So a checkerboard-pattern for example solves this.
Protip: if you make the "safe" tiles slow to move on and the trapped tiles fast to move on relatively (make floors under traps) then enemies are much more likely to "want" to step on trapped tiles in a checker-board pattern because they think it's faster.

-Stigma

stigma

I've looked forward to a good trap-mod for a while, but being honest I won't use this as-is.

Primarily because the traps seem completely unbalanced. If I remember correctly, last I checked this the spike pit for example is really cheap but does an absurd 250(?) dmg. That ought to one-shot anything basically. The balancing is completely off compared to the baseline set by the deadfall traps.

Secondarily I don't feel like the mod adds enough diversity. When all the traps seem to mechanically just be deadfall traps with different stats that is just boring, and there is only so much you can do with that - basically only variants on dmg and materials  - and if it's going to be balanced there aren't going to be so many combinations there to make it interesting.

These are just my personal opinions and they are meant as constructive criticism only.
I said a lot of the same things to the guy making the recent "traps plus" and IMO he's starting to do some pretty impressive stuff although there is a long way to go before I'd consider it polished. Consider looking at those ideas, maybe even collaborating or at least talking to share some tips about how to do the technical stuff. His additions so far of certain traps that don't need manual rearming, different damage types, traps with debuff effects, traps neding electricity ect. all add a lot more factors that you can combine into cool (and balanced) traps.

-Stigma

Canute

But i think when there are powered traps, there should be an extra research for safe traps.
This give you "safe" powered traps, with 95% trap hit chance for enemy, and 5% hit chance for colonist.
You could say, everyone got a NFID chip-amulet that show you the traps you arn't an enemy and they can't get triggered. These 5% is still there if you forget or lost your chip-amulet.

stigma

Quote from: Canute on July 17, 2017, 04:54:02 PM
But i think when there are powered traps, there should be an extra research for safe traps.
This give you "safe" powered traps, with 95% trap hit chance for enemy, and 5% hit chance for colonist.
You could say, everyone got a NFID chip-amulet that show you the traps you arn't an enemy and they can't get triggered. These 5% is still there if you forget or lost your chip-amulet.

Sure, it's not unreasonable. I'm not sure I'd rely on that for anything but a 0% chance to hit my colonists though...
Also there might be some issues when raiders learn trap locations - and all the tiles into your base are covered by traps because you didn't need to leave a path. Then they will avoid all entryways totally instead - and break down your walls instead - because the pathing algorithm really hates stepping on known traps.

-Stigma

BaconBits

Updated.....I will be doing some balancing tweaks as soon as I can get to it.