Performance issues with meat and rooms

Started by hoochy, September 06, 2016, 04:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoochy

If I place too many "rottable" objects in a non freezing room there is a significant performance impact by doing so in my current "Late" game. I had about 40000 excess meat in about ~300-400 piles . I moved it to a non freezing room to destroy it. Doing so dropped my frame rate from about 30 FPS to 2 FPS, until all the meat rotted away and then the performance mostly came back. But after I restarted the game by quitting to menu and coming back performance was back to before this problem happened. DEV mode showed no errors when it was running at 2fps, it was simply all those rotting meat contributing to a really bad performance.

I tried to replicate this on a new map but it was harder to see the performance drop from doing so. However it showed another performance problem and that is to do with room sizes. If you start a new map , go into dev mode and click "build full colony" , for me at least the performance is a rock steady 60fps. If I then build half the map into large rooms the performance drops like a rock. The only difference is the "Rooms", if you remove the rooms the performance comes back. This doesn't seem very related to path finding as adding lots of doors does nothing for the performance.

The current map I am playing on has a lot of large rooms which seems to be making the performance around 30fps now. It seems the Alpha 15c performance improvements did a lot for the pawn stuff but there are some "behind the scenes" performance issues with rooms and rotting objects.

SpaceDorf

every room adds to the temperature pathfinding ..

outside has one temperature. every room needs to calculate its own temperature, where it comes from where it goes, how it changes. that is actually more work than just pathfinding, because it happens always pathfinding only needs to recalculate when its either finished or interrupted.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

hoochy

Yeah it is a cool game mechanic.

I don't think it should necessarily slow the game as much as it does though, have you tried it yourself? Cover half a 200x200 map with rooms that are 12x100 internally. Watch the performance plummet because a couple of rectangular rooms need temp calculations (or whatever else is going on internally).