[A17] Wildlife Tab

Started by lincore, September 06, 2016, 02:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lincore

Beaver genocide, done right!

This small mod adds a new tab to Rimworld, containing a list of all wild animals on the map:

Clicking on the eye jumps to the corresponding animal without closing the tab, I thought that might be useful.
    The other icons indicate whether an animal is either a manhunter or belongs to an insectoid infestation.

The mod does not mess with any serialized data, so using it in your existing colony should* be fine. If you encounter any problems, please let me know. Feature requests are also welcome.

Download:

License/Contact:

• In case it is not clear, you do not need my permission to distribute or modify this mod. It is licensed as free software under the terms of the MIT-license, see
      https://github.com/lincore81/RimworldMods/blob/master/LICENSE.md.
    • If you wish to contact me, the best way would be via steam (see link above). I don't frequent this forum very often, so you may have to wait months for a response.

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes:

2017/05/25:
    • Updated to alpha 17
    2016/12/21:
    • Updated to alpha 16 (thanks to ShawnBuckley)
    2016/10/16:
    • The window should now always have the correct height.
    2016/09/09:
    • Trying to hunt/tame animals that are likely to retaliate (chance higher than 20%/2% respectively) will now produce a visible and audible warning.
    • Added an info button to easily look up an animal's stats.
    2016/09/07:
    • The manhunter-column has been generalized into a warning column.
    • Members of the insectoid faction (= infestation) are now included in the list.
    • Members of this faction are indicated by a special warning icon.
    • Made sure hidden creatures will never be listed.
    [/list]

BaconBits

Nice! So it's like Numbers and Fluffy's Animal Tab combined?

lincore

Quote from: BaconBits on September 06, 2016, 03:36:48 PM
    Nice! So it's like Numbers and Fluffy's Animal Tab combined?
    I don't know, I tried neither of them.
    I just wanted a simple mod that does one thing well, and that is: find beavers and other pests :~)

Statistical_Insanity

Could you add an option to show meat and leather amount?

BaconBits

Well, after a quick test, I found that this is similar to Numbers in the way you have a list of all the wild animals in the maps. However, yours adds features like the Animal Tab. Well Done, I like it. BTW, It is compatible With Numbers and Fluffy's Animal Tab so far.

lorebot

My only concern with this mod is similar to my concern about Fluffy's Colony Manager in that it accounts for animals that aren't in explored areas of the map. So if there are bugs in a hidden room somewhere with some megascarabs in it the tab will tell you that they're on the map somewhere.

MisterVertigo

I'm going to try this out. I like Fluffy's mods, but I like how this one gives you a button that you can click on to hunt animals. Thank you!
    "In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Deimos Rast

#StopPluginAbuse

ChaosKittee

I really like this mod and the way you can hunt and tame with it. Thank you!

oreganor

Woah! Very nice mod, incredibly usefull. A few features for the future if you are planning into keep updating/improving it:

- Would rock to have each type of animal group ordered by distance to a certain spot (¿Option maybe?). I thought that most colonies have a party spot selected that's usually around the "center" of the colony, so it would be very usefull on big maps to have an idea of how far a Hunter/Tamer should have to travel to do his/her job in a glance. To prevent resource wasting this "distance" should only be calculated once per tab opening... After all is just a particular suborder into each animal group just to have an easy evaluations like "the top Muffalo is the closest... The bottom Grizzly is the farthest".
    Contributions:
    Melee Skill Rebalance

lincore

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions!

Quote from: Statistical_Insanity on September 06, 2016, 05:49:25 PM
    Could you add an option to show meat and leather amount?
    If I'm not mistaken the amount of resources gathered from butchering is the same for all animals of a given species, I think the formula is: more bigger -> more resources. For this reason it seems a bit redundant to me to repeat this data over and over again. How about a compromise in form of an info button that opens an animal's stats window (where this and other data can be looked up)?

Quote from: oreganor on September 07, 2016, 03:36:09 AM(snip)Would rock to have each type of animal group ordered by distance to a certain spot (¿Option maybe?). (snip)
    I have thought about that, too. While certainly possible I wonder how useful this would actually be on maps that aren't huge (and even then it often takes longer to actually hit the animal than hauling it back home :~). Calculating distances to your base for a few dozen pawns does not sound super demanding as you only need to do it every few seconds. I will certainly play around with your idea to see if it is viable. I also plan to add sorting/filtering/grouping options in the future, or at least try them out and see what is really necessary and what is only fluff (no pun intended ;~).

lincore

Quote from: lorebot on September 06, 2016, 06:20:45 PM
    My only concern with this mod is similar to my concern about Fluffy's Colony Manager in that it accounts for animals that aren't in explored areas of the map. So if there are bugs in a hidden room somewhere with some megascarabs in it the tab will tell you that they're on the map somewhere.
    Thank you for letting me know. I will fix that asap.

EDIT: Fixed.

Kindyj

Simple and Beautiful, this will become extremely useful given the ability to sort and group. I will download first thing tonight.

drakulux

Is it possible to make the panel only assessible after research or by building and using a "radar"  station? Or is this just makingit too complex?

lincore

Quote from: drakulux on September 07, 2016, 09:10:54 AM
    Is it possible to make the panel only assessible after research or by building and using a "radar"  station? Or is this just makingit too complex?
    It certainly is possible. I have thought about this as well, my idea was to add a deerstand hunters would have to occasionally visit or something like that. I decided not to implement that, though. I think this mod provides an essential function so I don't plan to gate it behind gameplay requirements, sorry.
    Of course you are free to re-release an alternate version that adds a radar or research requirement, I'm sure a lot of people would like that.