[A17] Wildlife Tab

Started by lincore, September 06, 2016, 02:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyAth

Thank you for this mod  \0/

Saves me scrolling around insanely huge maps (cause I love those) to look for specific pelts to hunt for.

MisterVertigo

I played with this mod last night, and it has quickly become one of my favorites and a must-have! Well done!

I do have one request though. How difficult would it be to add a column that will show whether or not an animal is a predator or not? It would be nice to be able to open this up before sending colonists far out on the map to haul something to know if there are any predators around that may be hungry. It would also be nice to know what's out there so I can organize a hunting party if they become too numerous. If we are talking about that the animal's hunger meter would be great too, but that may be too much.

Thank you again!
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

tommiethegun

I second the request for showing an animal's predator status. Once this is fixed to not show animals in hidden map areas (I need the surprise!), this'll be a staple in my mod list :)

harpo99999

I would like tynan to adopt this mod into the base game as it feels exactly a base game feature that is NEEDED and did not have.
thank you for creating this mod

Shinzy

Quote from: ChaosKittee on September 07, 2016, 12:38:37 AM
I really like this mod and the way you can hunt and tame with it. Thank you!

I just wanted to repeat what this one said! ;D

lincore

Again, thanks for all your feedback and suggestions. it's good to know I'm not the only one sick of playing Where's Waldo: Rimworld-Edition :~)

Quote from: MisterVertigo on September 07, 2016, 04:48:29 PM*snip* I do have one request though. How difficult would it be to add a column that will show whether or not an animal is a predator or not? *snip*
If we are talking about that the animal's hunger meter would be great too, but that may be too much. *snip*
I would rather not include information about a trait that is not specific to an individual creature, but is actually shared by all members of its species. You should know that bears are omnivores and all cats dig meat. If you don't know yet that's fine, too, because you will learn - limb by limb :~). I would not want to ruin anybodies chance of having fun by discovering the consequences of poorly informed decisions for themselves. However, I will add a warning in case you (unintentionally) command your colonists to hunt a predator, as the base game does.

Also I don't plan to add a hunger indicator. You can use the eye-button to quickly check out the surroundings of the animal you wish to hunt/tame etc. If you spot a panther, you'll have to decide whether the risk is worth the reward. I would not like to take that away from anybody. I only added the medical conditions columns because I thought it'd be fun to spot a tortoise with asthma without affecting the gameplay much. In general though, I believe that knowing everything makes everything boring.

Quote from: tommiethegun on September 08, 2016, 03:58:55 AM
I second the request for showing an animal's predator status. Once this is fixed to not show animals in hidden map areas (I need the surprise!), this'll be a staple in my mod list :)
#1: See above.
#2: I have fixed that already, versions on Steam and Github have also been updated (see initial post).

lincore

I updated the mod, all sources in the initial post have been adjusted.

Changes:
  • Trying to hunt/tame animals that are likely to retaliate (chance higher than 20%/2% respectively) will now produce a visible and audible warning.
  • Added an info button to easily look up an animal's stats.

Hope you find that useful, have a nice weekend.

Kindyj

Is there a Way to.... Make it so I can Click one button and my colonists will hunt a species of animals, and when new ones spawn on the map, it auto designates it to be hunted. I love the mod because it Helps minimize Micromanagement, Making this change would even further help in that way.

lincore

Quote from: Kindyj on September 09, 2016, 01:55:05 PM
Is there a Way to.... Make it so I can Click one button and my colonists will hunt a species of animals, and when new ones spawn on the map, it auto designates it to be hunted. I love the mod because it Helps minimize Micromanagement, Making this change would even further help in that way.
No, sorry. I think auto-hunting goes beyond the scope of this mod. I wouldn't be surprised if fluffy's colony manager could do something like that, though.

Kiwih

LOOOOOOOVE this mod! Great work! :D

PaulPedron

Hello! This is going to be my first ever forum post and I would just like to say thanks a lot for this mod! As I see it, this mod helps so much in the management aspect of the game, though this can "remove" a TINY bit of the feel/immersion of "hunting" because with this, some players can get accustomed to just having their camera fixated at home and just click on some buttons and their pawns go hunting without them even seeing said animals, thus removing a part of the "hunt". Anyway that's just an opinion. I'm still using it now because I tend to play on huge extreme desert maps and it's proven to be a very convenient feature. Great vision and execution, so thank you and good luck with your future work!

Also, question:
When there are no visible wildlife currently in the map, the Wildlife UI goes under the tabs leaving it peaking and unpleasantly cropped. It's creepy. Is there a fix for this? *see below

lincore

Quote from: PaulPedron on September 20, 2016, 02:37:22 AM
Hello! This is going to be my first ever forum post and I would just like to say thanks a lot for this mod! As I see it, this mod helps so much in the management aspect of the game, though this can "remove" a TINY bit of the feel/immersion of "hunting" because with this, some players can get accustomed to just having their camera fixated at home and just click on some buttons and their pawns go hunting without them even seeing said animals, thus removing a part of the "hunt". Anyway that's just an opinion. I'm still using it now because I tend to play on huge extreme desert maps and it's proven to be a very convenient feature. Great vision and execution, so thank you and good luck with your future work!
Glad you enjoy it. I share the opinion that experiencing the game primarily through lists and menus would be a shame. But I don't think that is a big problem with my mod. There's a decent chance that something bad happens eventually if you designate hunting an animal without looking at it first. It could be sitting in the middle of a boomrat pack :~)

Quote from: PaulPedron on September 20, 2016, 02:37:22 AM
When there are no visible wildlife currently in the map, the Wildlife UI goes under the tabs leaving it peaking and unpleasantly cropped. It's creepy. Is there a fix for this? *see below
Thanks for letting me know. It'll be fixed in the next release.

masterpain

Would be nice to have an ALL button or a hunt all or tame all

lincore

Hi, here is a small update to fix the window size bug. Steam/Github releases have been updated.

@masterpain: Thanks for your feedback, I put it on my to-do list.

masterpain