Questions about Malaria

Started by 14m1337, September 07, 2016, 10:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

14m1337

as I have to deal a big malaria disease (~75% of my colonists are ill ...) in my actual colony, I came across some questions regarding malaria:
1. How often does malaria have to be treated for being cured ?
2. How big is the chance to become immune without any medical treatment ?
3. Can a pawn be cured without herbs/medicine ?
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

Pillow Fort

1: not sure
2: virtually zero. See a doctor, and get lots of rest.
3: technically yes? as far as i can tell medication just increases the treatment quality.
treatment quality also takes things like doctor skill and hospital beds into account.

immunity gain speed is affected by treatment quality, being well fed, and organ functions

AzraelWalker

Malaria has to be treated fairly often, at least once every 24hrs although it could be as high as once every 12 hrs. Yes it can be treated with herbs, however (and this leads into your second question) the way healing diseases and infections works is that your pawn slowly gains an immunity to an disease or infection over time, while the aliment slowly grows in potency over time as well. If your pawn hits 100% immunity (check your medical tab for that pawn) they will get better, if the ailment is allowed to hit "extreme" and left their your pawn will die. The rate at which the ailment gets worse is fixed, but the rate at which immunity is gained is dependent on: How much rest and food a pawn is getting, the quality of treatment (which is itself modified by lots of things like the skill of the doctor, medicine quality and if they are resting in a hospital bed or not, watch a pawn getting treated, when the treatment is done a % will pop up, that's the quality of the treatment).

billycop32

I'm just gonna pull a captain obvious here, as I watched this happen and wanted to let people know:
physical age of the patient plays an extreme factor: I don't know the exact "doom" age, but I have had a 78 year old colonist who got dedicated herbal treatment and pure hospital bed rest, and still passed away from disease. so if you have a older colonist come down with something, you are gonna need to either pay up and use good meds or say your goodbyes.

AzraelWalker

Quote from: billycop32 on September 07, 2016, 07:17:19 PM
I'm just gonna pull a captain obvious here, as I watched this happen and wanted to let people know:
physical age of the patient plays an extreme factor: I don't know the exact "doom" age, but I have had a 78 year old colonist who got dedicated herbal treatment and pure hospital bed rest, and still passed away from disease. so if you have a older colonist come down with something, you are gonna need to either pay up and use good meds or say your goodbyes.

Actually that's not a captain obvious statement that's quite interesting. Did you happen to notice what the immunity % was when they were first infected? Did you notice the infection getting worse quicker compared to someone younger?

billycop32

her immunity speed was really low-she only got to somewhere in the 60s for percent of immunity.I even had a vitals attached to the bed.I was really sad to see her go though-she had level 17 cooking skill  :'(

14m1337

this thread is becoming more and more informative ! :thumbsup:

next questions coming to my mind:
- How often can a pawn be treated with medicine ? Every 8h 12h 24h ?
- At which rate do the infection steps grow ?
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.