Rudimentary but tested Jade flooring art asset.

Started by Helpful Bot, September 07, 2016, 03:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helpful Bot

For appraisal by flooring modders perusal. First-draft and completely from scratch. Seems to look good in-game as well. Was hoping to make subsequent versions more ornate and crystalline.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Shinzy

Have you tried to make it tiled rather than just massive smooth jade surface
Ingame picture would be really nice to see aswell!

Helpful Bot

I thought about it but 95% of floors, included modded ones, are tiled; especially the high beauty ones like silver and gold. This image is actually just a large 1024x array of 64x tiled pictures that I put considerable effort into in an attempt to make it seem less repeated. I also agree with you and think that an ornate tile would look better though. It has to be distinct from any patterns from the more floors mod though. I'll keep playing with it and improving it.

skullywag

I thought this was just being handled like the vanilla terrain where its isnt tiled on purpose. Seems perfectly fine to me.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Helpful Bot

Exactly what Skully said. To be honest I really thought that the texture file HAD to be in 1024x form but able to be represented in 64x "tiles". Thus this 1024x is a GIMP tile function from a 256x picture made from assembling 12 different 64x variations of the base tile. Basically like 2ish hours of work to make a mildly gassy cloudy texture for something that's supposed to be regal and elegant. But it does the job for now. Little by little i'mma comin for yo crown Shinzy; one gassy texture at a time.

BaconBits

Can you post the original image that you're working with? The one you used for tiling. 

Helpful Bot

So here is the 256X that I used to tile up to the 1024x. The current image here is based off of the POSTseam (post "make seamless" filter). I included the pre-make seamless picture too. These 256X pictures are made up of 12 64X pictures I made individually from roughly the same image so they looked similar but made it harder to see the repetitions in the larger image.

Helpful Bot

I'm currently looking at some of Shinzy's images like the nightling and trying desperately to figure out how the hell he does the shading. Reverse engineering mods is easy but this is something else.

BaconBits

Are wanting to see the pattern more? Also if you could post the 64x that would help me see the pattern better.

Helpful Bot

The issue is that there are 12 different 64X versions. Here is one of the first 64X's before I eliminated any olive coloring.

BaconBits

I resized it to 128x, then tiled it to 1024x, quickly modded it to see it in game. Not sure it changed at all.

Shinzy

Quote from: Helpful Bot on September 08, 2016, 05:18:31 PM
I'm currently looking at some of Shinzy's images like the nightling and trying desperately to figure out how the hell he does the shading. Reverse engineering mods is easy but this is something else.

Depends on my moooooooooood! :p
sometimes it's just brushing darker/lighter shades on
and sometimes I use the burn/dodge tool
but all the time awesome

Helpful Bot

Hmmm...burn....dodge...yes I have heard of these tools, this will do nicely. Luring little Lord Shinzy to tell me his secrets is going as planned. Mwahahahhaha.