Are wargs worth it?

Started by Boba Phat, September 07, 2016, 06:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boba Phat

Normally the first thing I do when starting a new game is kill and butcher any pet which can't be trained to haul stuff: cash, grass, or ass, no one rides for free.  But wargs have me undecided.  Technically they can be trained to haul, but they're so difficult to train that iit'll be geologic ages for it to happen, all the while wasting the time of your trainers every day.  On the one hand they're handy in a fight, but generally you want your pets out of the line of fire anyway.  And while they will feed themselves without your help, the down side is they'll murder every animal near your base, making it a real chore to find anything to hunt for yourself.  They won't eat kibble so you can't just confine them to base.  And more than once they've eaten a boar or fox I've been trying to tame.

So what's the consensus?  Are wargs worth it?

Fluffe

I think bears are better then wargs while they dont got as much speed they have alot more health and they eat kibble biggest downside is that your limited to one baby to 1-3 warg baby's and they eat a bit more lol (but i think thats ok since they can eat kibble lol)

Edit also both sadly have the downside of being hard to tame/train im pretty sure lol

Generalkrunk

Once the raiders start coming in packs of 30 wargs are definitely worth it. They eat up all the bodies so you don't have to get the constant mood debuffs from colonists seeing them (the bodies I mean).
Everything burns.

chinothepony

I actually like wargs for hauling because I trust them over the omnivores for storing mass crops. They'll never eat your product, especially when it isn't even ready for harvest yet.

My elephants were the worst! I thought they would haul more since it says their capacity is 300, instead I had one constantly sneaking in on my smokeleaf and even eating some of my devilstrand shrooms. I had kibble that is very accessible, a whole strip of dandelions along the side of my base, and he would still sneak in on that smokeleaf!

Serenity

Quote from: Generalkrunk on September 09, 2016, 07:07:37 AM
They eat up all the bodies so you don't have to get the constant mood debuffs from colonists seeing them (the bodies I mean).
How do you get them to snack on the corpses reliably? Put them in a zone out of the way and keep the animals in a zone that has the corpses as the only source of food?

chinothepony

I feel like that's a tough thing to do. Since bodies don't come in consistently and usually pile up all at once. I've tried creating a warg buffet zone near the graveyard where I'd stack bodies instead of cremating them, but the bodies usually rot before they can eat them.

Edit: Maybe you could create a room with warg access and store all the corpses, never to have your colonist open that door haha. (Cept for the poor sap that has to haul them in there regularly).

Serenity

Since I'm currently playing in the arctic I completely forgot that corpses rot :)

Before I built my crematorium I gave my polar bear access to the corpse field, but she never really went there. I don't know whether it was because it was out of the way of the usual routes (so people don't constantly freak out) or because there was other food for her.

Wex

I have built a refrigerator specifically to store corpses (I called the area "corpse freezer") for my animals to eat. I don't have warg, since they wonìt be trained by anyone, but my huskies, labradors and boars are quite happy with it.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Ramsis

To be fair Wargs are only worth it if you have a psychopathic/cannibal butcher. Butcher the corpses, keep it fed, rinse and repeat; otherwise they tend to just be more hassle than they are worth.

It's like bears. Bears are neat, bears are fun, bears have a high chance of slapping you upside the head because you tried to feed it.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

chinothepony

Psychopathic cannibal butcher; a warg's best friend lol.

But doesn't the warg have the advantage because their food types are so limited? I mean yes, they'll eat your meat up. But I think they are the best crop haulers.

I have one named Meatloaf that is slow as h*ll because she lost a leg, but I love her so :D

Dodging Rain

It is worth noting that dogs and bears are haulers that do not eat crops.  Is it worth mentioning that chicken eggs can feed carnivores?

Chibiabos

You do NOT need to butcher corpses to feed them to corpses.

What I do is make a 2-room freezer for animal feed -- the first one is for hay and other food for animals, then another room accessible ONLY through that first room (no doors to outside or any other room) to store corpses -- human corpses and rotted animal corpses.  I put the animal sleep area right next to this two-room structure so when they wake up, having hungered in the night, they have access to it.

The reason for ensuring there's only one door into the corpse room is to prevent colonists from taking shortcuts through it to get to other areas, reducing the 'Observed corpse' debuff occurrences -- those will only happen when colonists haul corpses in, and when you have enough hauling animals, you shouldn't even have to deal with that much.

Wargs will feed on the corpses directly which bypasses the debuff problem with butchering.  It also means given all the raiders you face, Wargs and other corpse-eating animals don't have to compete with your colonists for food because they're eating something you (hopefully) would never have your colonists eat.

Wargs have a good combo of speed and attack ... but you're right, they are exceptionall difficult to train.

My preference for hauling is dogs given how easy they are to train, but I've found it very difficult to reliably get dogs from traders.  Boars actually make a fairly decent substitute and aren't too hard to find on most maps -- they're nowhere near as easy as dogs to train, but nowhere near as hard as wargs, either.  They breed decently and are decently tough.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

buttflexspireling

Not normally. What I think a lot of people would like to see is the ability for the warg to use his enhanced night-time visual prowess to navigate in the dark while player characters go around blindly. This combined with the beast's superior knowledge of the terrain could give him a distinct advantage.

chinothepony

I have so far not noticed my warg eat any of my eggs. And yes, I thought maybe the bear might snack on some of the garden but have not noticed that either. Bears might be better fighters than wargs too as they have some unique attacks. I'm just surprised bears don't eat you out of house and home in this game like they would in real life.

Love that idea on the corpse room right by the animal sleeping spot. I am definitely going to try that.

KnockTwice

I bought three wargs, two male, one female.  They bred quickly.  At first I was of the impression that it wasn't worth it, due to the "corpses or raw meat" being the only food.  They didn't work so well.  One of the bonded creatures wandered in front of my hunter while hunting and was shot to death.  That was a bad hit.  Also while the pawn was defending.

It would be nice if these supposedly intelligent, trainable creatures could remain BEHIND the master if the master has a ranged weapon equipped.  If the animal is not fully trainable, I can see wandering in front, allowing for the odd hunting accident.

It would also be nice to have a 'heel' command, to command the animals to go to the pawn.  I've lost a few bonded animals that were disobeying the "restricted to" area and wandering into a live combat situation.

I will try out the corpse-freezer-near-the-animal-beds suggestion.  That sounds useful.