Engine Used?

Started by dustindps, October 14, 2013, 11:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segrog

Everything above is why I love the Rimworld community.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Devon_v on July 27, 2015, 05:07:07 PM
Actually, both cards are invalid because Resurrect is not an MtG action or trigger. :)

"Return target thread from the graveyard to the battlefield" is the correct wording.

Whta's a ' MtG action or trigger'? Help me and my fellow noobs understand your big words! ;D

Tynan used Unity because it was an affordable multi-platform foundation. It was designed for 3D games using perhaps a few hundred objects, so he wrote his own object handlers to deal with thousands of objects, while eliminating the need to track z-coordinates for anything. The main benefit was that he didn't have to write I/O, graphics and sound for three OSs, and the game could theoretically be ported to Android and iOS someday.

What would be the greatest performance hog when having thousands of objects? If its is rendering them could he not just use occlusion culling?

From my (very limited) experience in C++ writing I/O, graphics and sound for one OS is painful enough.  :'( I totally do agree with his decision to use a game engine.

Android Rimworld sounds nice... Other than the fact it will lag your phone to death... I volunteer to test it out!

Shadows on 2D objects is just math. If you look closely you'll notice that there are only two or three actual shadow shapes, and they're just extended across the ground plane according to the mathematical position of the sun, which Tynan actually bothered to calculate correctly accounting for latitude and axial tilt.

Never noticed that...  :P

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: TheGentlmen on July 27, 2015, 11:51:35 PM
Actually, both cards are invalid because Resurrect is not an MtG action or trigger. :)

"Return target thread from the graveyard to the battlefield" is the correct wording.

Whta's a ' MtG action or trigger'? Help me and my fellow noobs understand your big words! ;D

MtG stands for Magic the Gathering, the card game this card is mimicking. Essentially, the word resurrect wouldn't be used because it doesn't mean anything as a direct quote. The wording would have to be different in order to make sense to the game.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

kaptain_kavern

The quote is referring to the act of responding to a very old post on the forum, not from anything within the game ;)

The first one was more explicit i found.

TheGentlmen

Cimanyd

I saw "Rimwrold" immediately, but I've only now noticed, after seeing it about five times, that the one Tynan originally used says "signifigantly".
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Devon_v

Quote from: TheGentlmen on July 28, 2015, 12:05:25 PM

Done whining now? ;D

No, because rage isn't a game mechanic either. ;p

Occlusion culling is the process of working out what portions of the scene are visible so you can save time by not rendering stuff that will be covered up anyway. It's generally only applicable to 3D scenes where the point of view is arbitrary. In a 2D game all you really have to do is not render anything more than a few tiles outside of the window. Rimworld does this, you can see it if you scroll around mountains when the sun is low in the sky and watch the shadows pop in and out. I believe the issue with the Unity functions is that they are not fast enough to be called thousands of times a cycle without lagging the game. A Rimworld map contains a LOT of cells, which can contain a lot of terrain, objects, and pawns. Various functions need to sift through this data to work out the current game state and update pawn behaviors appropriately.  Internally, Rimworld is kinda a huge spreadsheet, so it's best handled by functions built for the task.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Devon_v on July 30, 2015, 12:33:42 PM
Quote from: TheGentlmen on July 28, 2015, 12:05:25 PM

Done whining now? ;D

No, because rage isn't a game mechanic either. ;p

Occlusion culling is the process of working out what portions of the scene are visible so you can save time by not rendering stuff that will be covered up anyway. It's generally only applicable to 3D scenes where the point of view is arbitrary. In a 2D game all you really have to do is not render anything more than a few tiles outside of the window. Rimworld does this, you can see it if you scroll around mountains when the sun is low in the sky and watch the shadows pop in and out. I believe the issue with the Unity functions is that they are not fast enough to be called thousands of times a cycle without lagging the game. A Rimworld map contains a LOT of cells, which can contain a lot of terrain, objects, and pawns. Various functions need to sift through this data to work out the current game state and update pawn behaviors appropriately.  Internally, Rimworld is kinda a huge spreadsheet, so it's best handled by functions built for the task.

No trust me its a mechanic.... here's a quote from the devs!

Quote from: Generic Magic the Gathering Dev on December 31, 1969, 07:00:02 PMRage is a new mechanic which affects Rimwrold(Hehe) Forum Users in version A.Generic.Version.Number of Magic the Gathering, If you use certain cards(like this one) you get some rage. Also 50% of the damage you receive & give add to your rage. After reaching a certain amount of rage you get a special card. Its removed 5% of your health & doubles your damage for the rest of the game. It also lowers the damage you receive by 5% for the rest of the game too! These affects stack (Yes, you can get 32x damage!)!

This is counteracted by the Rimwrold Forum User having nearly no damage at the start of the game... (Cause it takes time for trolls to actually hurt you... every time you think about the amount of time the trolls wasted you get hurt. It hurts more the longer your times been wasted.)

They also have a ton of Hp.

----------------

All jokes aside, I do thank you for your time answering many of my questions.

MrWiggles

Quote from: Tynan on October 20, 2013, 04:21:45 PM
No, DF is coded from scratch. I don't think it even has sound.
It has background music, and just the one track. The opening cinematic also had sound.

kaptain_kavern

Fortunately DF has a strong modder community too and Tada here come's [Soundsense](http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Utility:SoundSense)