The most badass thing to ever happen in your colony was...

Started by Barley, September 07, 2016, 10:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barley

A place to share stories of complete and utter badassery.

For example, one time in the early game I got a manhunting Rhino event. I performed the usual preparations for my colonists to snipe-and-scatter the Rhino to death. All went well until I realized that my rifle colonist was moving ultra-slow. Turns out that I had her smoke a joint earlier to keep her mood up, so she was moving 30% slower than normal. Oops.

That Rhino was going to cut her to ribbons! Fists versus Rhino Horns? Not happening. So in desperation I sent in my only melee colonist, Justin.

Justin fought a Rhino. 1v1. With a Knife. And Won. Wearing nothing but a synthread shirt and pants no less!

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

I have had several bad ass stories, the oldest originating from alpha 7 where being 60 years old mean nothing and colonist had 100 hit points.

Story 1: I got the alert for mechanoids, nothing special... just 3 centipedes (or two, i cant remember) which is not to much when your colony is composed of 12 people 3 of which are great snipers and 1 of those three is dedicated to nothing but shooting things. what made it special this time how ever was the fact that a mechanoid with a inferno cannon landing in the middle of my giant strawberry field! the closet colonist what the 65 year old woman with a mohawk that had recently joined the colony. she wasnt any good at shooting so i had her run up and punch as my snipers changed to assault rifles and got ready to attack. they killed the centipede with the mini gun as i guided the elderly woman to punch and retreat. the mech got confused and would go to melee only for her to be out of range. it would get ready to shoot but would get punched, making it go to melee again. all while doing this the elderly woman with the mohawk dodged the bullets from the other colonists and help beat the crap out of the mech :D

Story 2: In the same colony i would start getting seiges and for what ever reason they would land in the same or similar spots. What i did to get rid of them was make my two main (the third was only if needed) go and snipe, and if they wherent sniping there where returning mortar fire for several days straight. little sleep and food, no mental break risks, all bad ass.

Story 3: final story from my first beloved colony is of john the barkeeper, warden, cook, mini gun user, and sniping pal for krista. he was one of the first colonist i had and eventually i got a mini gun. when ever id get attacked from mechs id send him out to hide in a small little cubby hole to shoot with the mini gun, distract the mechs while the rest of my colony tried to pick them off (this was before i got an actual sniper rifle). He was shot several times but kept pumping lead out at the mechs as they tried to shoot him.

Story 4: so i got a heat wave, this was around when the health system was still new but had been around for a few updates (i believe it was alpha 12). The colony was having a heat wave so i had all my colonist hide in the kitchen which was overflowing with food. Suddenly i noticed that one of my colonist, Mack, was walking around outside no problem in his orange cloth duster. the colony was close to going insane but he managed to keep things moving in and out and gave the colonists stuff to do and it helped save the colony
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

Dingus

1: One of my snipers managed to shoot every limb off of a pirate
2: An Insanity-Lanced pirate with a longsword wiped out his entire 10-man party
Quote from: Noctis on September 13, 2016, 03:56:44 PM
No rest for the staggeringly ugly and abrasive, I guess.

frythebrain

Had 23 smokeleaf joints drop just outside of my colony moments ago. It wasn't until defending against 4 different raids, all coming from 3 different locations. The biome is boreal forest, each chokepoint is simultaneously drenched in marsh and shallow water. Whenever a raid comes thru I send my two colonists Edgar, and Janice to whatever chokepoint their coming thru. Be it the north north west, or west. The cool thing about it is I chose an alcove at the far south eastern edge of the map, so the colonists dig, while farming, and raids are fine.

The smokeleaf drop pods were a sign of success and victory after each raid. Alright, I'll admit it I save before contact, so if my colonists are lost, or injured in a way I find unsatisfactory. I reload. ;D

Facepunch

Had a few.
A13(I think. Whichever added deer, maybe. It was a while ago), I got raided by 2 people in a boreal forest really early game. I send the only colonist that knows which end of the gun to hold to fight them, dispatches the first one without a problem, and engages in a 2 1/2 day long gunfight with the other. Like 9 cells from eachother. Killed 2 does, injured a buck, 3 KIA squirrels. What eventually happened, is both of them were starving, and the raider had a mental break. The only reason my colonist didn't, is because of the iron-willed trait. Also, they tore up half the forest in that gunfight.

2. I had 1 guy with a shotgun defend the colony against a mid-game tribal raid. Admittedly, I did have good defenses set up (Natural chokepoints w/ barbed wire from CR). He pumped hot lead out like it was going out of style. Slaughtered a good 20-25 of them, another 5-8 retreated. Had his eye shot out, lost a few fingers, lotsa holes all over. Bleeding rate of 600%/d after that fight.

Rococho_Ranger

Had a herd of tamed yorkshire terriers wander onto the map (yes, you heard me).  I trained them up and assigned one to each person for the master/pet bonus.  During the next attack I released them all and watched 3 armed pirates torn to bits by terriers...

Brovahkii

I have the fishing mod installed onto my game so one night, my singular colonist was fishing inside of a cave where there was just enough water and land to build a pier. While he was fishing, an infestation appeared in the kitchen down the hall from him (I'd say about 13 blocks away). Just as the megaspiders broke through, my colonist (Recur) fished up a marine with a masterwork charge rifle and masterwork power armor. Recur donned his new regalia and made very quick work of those that sought his demise.
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Dingus

Quote from: Rococho_Ranger on September 14, 2016, 12:37:18 PM
Had a herd of tamed yorkshire terriers wander onto the map (yes, you heard me).  I trained them up and assigned one to each person for the master/pet bonus.  During the next attack I released them all and watched 3 armed pirates torn to bits by terriers...
I'm playing on Randy atm and this has happened to me twice. I hate it because it's really sad when they inevitably get targeted by pirates or beserk colonists and are horribly mutilated. I had a yorkie with both of its hind legs and tail torn off by an insane colonist. I just sell them now.
Quote from: Noctis on September 13, 2016, 03:56:44 PM
No rest for the staggeringly ugly and abrasive, I guess.

MeowRailroad

2 raiders just attacked. They fled immediately after 1 was hit once in the head, destroying the skull and brain.

EDIT: It just happened again with an insane deer. The same colonist shot it.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

Wex

Quote from: Barley on September 07, 2016, 10:08:54 PM
A place to share stories of complete and utter badassery.

For example, one time in the early game I got a manhunting Rhino event. I performed the usual preparations for my colonists to snipe-and-scatter the Rhino to death. All went well until I realized that my rifle colonist was moving ultra-slow. Turns out that I had her smoke a joint earlier to keep her mood up, so she was moving 30% slower than normal. Oops.

That Rhino was going to cut her to ribbons! Fists versus Rhino Horns? Not happening. So in desperation I sent in my only melee colonist, Justin.

Justin fought a Rhino. 1v1. With a Knife. And Won. Wearing nothing but a synthread shirt and pants no less!

Happened more or less the same thing.
Only it was Allen "gramps", 78 years old, born vatgrown soldier, became bartender, brawler.
Plasteel knife VS rhino. Gramps won. Colony ate a lot of rhino based meals.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

MisterVertigo

This was a number of Alphas ago, not long after I first started playing. I had a raid and they incapped one of my colonists. The raiders decided to try and kidnap him. My best shooter wasn't too far away so I sent him after them. One shot with a survival rifle and the one carrying my colonists was dead. Then another raider picked him up. One shot AGAIN and the second kidnapper was dead. At that point they had enough and ran to the hills. I was able to save that colonists thanks to the badass shooting skills of one colonist!
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Natah_Bish

I managed to knock unconscious an enemy tribe member little did I know it was a head shot, this caused permanent brain damage to the enemy. Still I captured him (not realizing it was brain damage at first), feeling bad I tried to keep him alive (my colonists were starving themselves) but he lived... for a while. I slowly lost interest in just keeping him alive and managed to take a lung, 2 eyes, kidney, and his nose. Feeling bad I enthused him using medicine to make his last moments calm. I then built in his cell a sarcophagus to honor him (yes a prisoner who tried to kill me). Little did I know the art that was designed on was of my doctor preforming a "surgery" (harvesting body parts) on Karo (the prisoner), so my honoring did not go so well but it makes a great story! If you read this whole thing congrats!!!

MeowRailroad

My pro trickshotter colonist with 16 shooting almost singlehandedly downed 3 scythers with a survival rifle. He just had some backup from a turret, but most of them fell in only 3 shots and the turret wasn't even disabled. None of my colonists were injured at all.

EDIT: Upon further inspection they damaged the turret to 1% health.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

VinC

Raid...
from a mechanoid hive
Extreme Cassandra (around 18-20k points for this raid). I had lots of colonist, after the raid, when evrything was scattered survived 1. Badly wounded (permament brain injury (legendary power armor helmet saved him :D )) and i almost gave up.
For sure, i had quite long kill zone, lots of turrets, people weren't close to others, but charge lances are so overpowered :/

Harold3456

I once played a game where a mech ship had landed, and I was just about to attack it....... when all of a sudden I got the notification about a new pawn being chased by tribals!

I wish I could remember why, with so much already on my plate, I elected to take this guy in. I probably hoped that he'd come into the map on the same side of the mechs... and he did. I took control of the fleeing newbie and had him run up and punch the mech canister (all my guys were still at base). All the mechs came out and a big mech vs. tribal battle occurred, with my sniper eventually helping out the tribals by taking pot shots at the mechs. The mechs were all eventually destroyed, with something like 1 or 2 badly wounded tribals remaining (the new pawn did not survive). It was an awesome way to take out mechs and raiders with no losses or injuries of any sort on my side.