[Mod Request] More Lightning Furniture

Started by Raccoon, September 08, 2016, 08:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raccoon

Hey guys, how the title it says. I just want more Furniture with lightning, i have the darkness mod and the vanilla lamp sucks hard.

CannibarRechter

I believe Skullywag has a nice set of lamps you can use. Wall sconces, floor lamps, maybe one other thing.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Master Bucketsmith

*cough* Have you seen that spotlight mod someone made?
I'm sure it'll help with defense! (Also vanilla, since Realistic Darkness only changes the visual light levels, not the effective light levels.)

Raccoon

Quote from: CannibarRechter on September 08, 2016, 08:29:57 AM
I believe Skullywag has a nice set of lamps you can use. Wall sconces, floor lamps, maybe one other thing.

I will check it out!

Quote from: Master Bucketsmith on September 08, 2016, 08:55:02 AM
*cough* Have you seen that spotlight mod someone made?
I'm sure it'll help with defense! (Also vanilla, since Realistic Darkness only changes the visual light levels, not the effective light levels.)

I already have it :b!

Master Bucketsmith

My new updated version? Sweet! :D
I've still got that outdoor lamppost mod on my grand to-do list.
It's based on Igabod's advanced lighting, I believe. Have permission and everything, just need to update it.

Helpful Bot

This reminds me to put out that mini-mod i promised forever ago to buff vanilla lights. I wish I could release the mod I made that just combined the best of lighting options from other peoples mod's, tweaking to my own specifications. But that would be pretty unhelpful botish of me. Thus...I shall make my own light mod. For the good of these fair citizens of Rimworld wandering in the dark (Which is totally my bad).

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: Helpful Bot on September 09, 2016, 07:53:35 PMI wish I could release the mod I made that just combined the best of lighting options from other peoples mod's, tweaking to my own specifications. But that would be pretty unhelpful botish of me.
Why do you feel that way?
In my eyes as long as the license permits or you get permission, it is exactly what the modding community is about.
Share, adapt, change, improve, etc.

I've quickly updated Igabod's outdoor lampposts from his advanced lamp mods, since I was only really missing that portion of his mod.
Unfortunately, the range is limited to 24 tiles before it starts glitching graphically.

Helpful Bot

What I described is basically stealing. If they give permission sure fine but it still feels off to me. I donno, perhaps its just me in that I don't feel like I can take pride in something that is just a repackaging of someone else's work. Then again, time constraints are the devil and with what I've been working on will more than likely need permission from at least one mod author because I just don't feel like making a brand new art asset like I've done for everything else.

Master Bucketsmith

Okay, I understand.

I don't think you should feel as if you've stolen anything if their licenses specifically say it's okay to re-use, with or without credit.

You're still putting in the work to combine the different elements and repackage them.
And then you gotta ask yourself; Will I update them according to each alpha version of the game? Or will I keep it as a simple compilation and wait for the original to be updated, then take those changes?
It's all still work that you're putting in, with permission! :)

On a side-note; there's also nothing stopping you from teaming up with someone or seeing if someone is interested in keeping an add-on mod for your Realistic Darkness mod. :D

On a side-note; I've got a neat idea for a light source this morning! I don't think I've seen something like it before! :D

CannibarRechter

Generally, most of the mods out here authorize reuse, with credit. If you create a mod bundle, when you release it, just put credit on the forum page. If you want to be especially friendly, put it in your About.xml description. No big deal, bros.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Helpful Bot

So I first made a mod that bundled some lighting mods up and requested permission for the few items where i didn't make the art assets from scratch. Those people declined to allow me to use their stuff even modified. Thus I spent a long time last night making everything from scratch and just finished. Packing it all up and releasing it shortly.
What my shenanigans will add:
-Will include a glow radius buff to torches and vanilla standing lamps.
1 & 2)Unlocked by solar power research: 1 Indoor powerless light, 1 Outdoor powerless light
3) An alternate art standing lamp (takes more power but gives larger glowrad)
4) 1 Powered wall light
5) (Possible locked behind solar power as well) Glass walls. Walls that allow light to pass through. So so so useful for light efficiency.
6) (Questionable whether to include it but I love the art asset I made for it.) Fortification. Expensive and advanced sandbags that requires uranium to build. Sandbags 0.65 cover, Fortifications 0.9 cover.
7) (also questionable whether to add it) Jade floor. Very expensive and less beautiful than gold but carries a sterility bonus higher than sterile floor.

Serenity

Helpful Bot

Indoor "solar" means a self-contained Bioluminescent mushroom container. You can even see the mushrooms in the center. Gives off power-free light but at a radius smaller than a torch, much more expensive than a torch, and the light emitted is a dark-pink color. A good maintenance-free alternative to torches as your colony gains some wealth and you desire to remain efficient on wood.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Coercion

Helpful Bot

Sure, here is an overview screen.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]