[A15] Power - advanced powergeneration

Started by sulusdacor, September 08, 2016, 10:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sulusdacor

made a thread for all my mods: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26276.0

pls use that for future feedback and stuff ;)

advanced powergeneration

made a thread for all my mods: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26276.0

pls use that for future feedback and stuff ;)

Description:
a light in every corner, an extra workbench there, maybe another cooking stove - wondering where your power went?
a simple try to add some "late game" power supply. no maintenance/refueling, just place it and get the power.

Sub Topic
Adds advanced windturbine, advanced goethermal and nuclear power plants. All must be researched before they can be build. Research is dependend on vanilla research (electricity/geothermal). placement restrictions for wind/geothermal still apply.

power output:
- advanced windturbine: max 6k (double normal windturbine)
- advanced geothermal: 7,5k
- nuclear power: 20k

research:
- all are tech level spacer and need a higtech research bench and the multianalyzer

research "tree":

electricity research -> advanced winturbine research
geothermal research -> advanced geothermal research -> nuclear power research

Author
sulusdacor

Download
Steamworkshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760088748
Dropbox:
A15c version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2xdkch7rtpk4n1/sd_power_a15c.7z?dl=0

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Changelog
- 08/09/2016 - added steamworkshop link, updated about description in modselect
- 09/09/2016 - changed name to "advanced powergeneration", updated details for research, changed research def, texture clean up bg layer
- 18/09/2016 - added german language files, changed order in build menu ingame to wind-geo-nuclear

Deimos Rast

These textures look nice! Might I suggest two things:
- Change the name of the mod to something with more kick - might I suggest "Power Overwhelming" ? I checked the forums and no mods are using the name, and I can't remember anything on Steam or Nexus either. It's more descriptive and it happens to be a cheatcode from Star Craft ;D
- "All must be researched after they can be build." I think you mean "All must be researched BEFORE they can be BUILT." Two small corrections, for clarity. Unless you really do mean, you have to build them, then research them, in that order.

Anyway, I think I'll be downloading these, thanks!
#StopPluginAbuse

sulusdacor

yeah the after/before was a typo  ::) will stay with the name tho, have not played starcraft so would mean nothing to me,sry.
thanks for the feedback.

SpaceDorf

Nice Mod, looks good, but I concur with Deimos Rast.

The name of your mod is a bit misleading. I came here looking for I don't know, advanced batteries, power cables and you know .. options to do with the power system in general.

Why not stick to your ingame names : Advanced Generators
or Generator Upgrades ?

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

sulusdacor

hm can totaly get your point. my train of throught was poweroptions for more options in powergeneration. but seems legit to have a more direct name, since it only contains the upgrades to the vanilla power plants and the nuclear one.

jmababa

How do you get enough uranium to build that nuclear power plant I need nuclear power plant today cause im in a spot where im too far from any steam geysers and is on mountain. It's expensive if I buy uranium weapons. Also its hard to deep mine without enough power

sulusdacor

moved all my mods to an other thread

for the uranium:
- if you are in luck and get a space trader, these have usally 100+ in my games
- the land traders have some, mostly low stock sadly (these are the save bet in most cases, since you can call them again and again with a comms console)
- if you are super lucky mine some in the mountain
- and yes deep mine, with normal power should be okay to support one drill to hunt for it

For the power i usally end up building some windturbines at first. if it takes me longer to get uranium from traders and i dont have any luck there, i end up replacing them with adv windturbines. with some batteries this is usally enough to power the buildings you "need" like comms console, research bench, some workbenches and so on. if i need more i simply build more windturbines or in rare cases solar panels (depends on the map and my base set up). At this point you should be able to supply the scanner to deep mine and one drill at least. if not just build more of the lower tier power stuff.

i personaly play with the deep core miner mod, which lets you build a deep mine anywhere. the drill needs no uranium, so you can get your first power plant up with this drill, by digging it up. but it makes no big difference for power usage,since it takes way more power then the deep drill from vanilla, since you dont need the scanner. At first i mostly end up runing this thing only if my wind power is high at the moment, just flick it off/on depending if i can supply it. i would do the same with the vanilla deep scanner+ deep drills. just takes some time.

jmababa

Thankz for telling em bout the mod now I can get the required uranium

Draegon

Will you ever add advanced solar generators?

sulusdacor

short version: probably yes in the future, but i can not tell you when.

longer version: the solar panel need to be coded, since the power output is fixed. the others can just be adjusted in the xml files. much easier and faster. so i would have to make a dll file for this. at the time i did the mod, i had no real clue where to start for that. currently i would have some idea where/how to get started and would probably get this to work.

the other point is i had no good idea how i wanted advanced solar panels to look like. usally have some sort of idea in my head how it should look and go off that. probably could come up with something with some time, but yeah. i kinda skiped that, since at the time i had no way of bringing them ingame anyway.

yes will probably get around to that at some point since i want to rework the textures for the adv geothermal powerplant anyway. when i do that i will do the solar panels too. can't say when, since currently i'm doing my other bed mod, adding single beds and multi graphic and will take some time. but after that is the earliest.

Canute

Quotethe other point is i had no good idea how i wanted advanced solar panels to look like.
Pretty simple, made them darker, darke absorb more light = more effecient.
From light blue for standard collectors, to dark blue for adv. ones.

And about the power, sorry i don't have much knowledge but can't you change
<basePowerConsumption>-1</basePowerConsumption>
into  -2 ?

lllMWNlll

I was really looking for this mod!

I hope meanwhile you can add new power generation methods, you could do Steam-powered based buildings would be a great addition for Medieval-Industrious energy making. Basically it's theory is like Geothermal energy - Boil water to produce eletricity.

I also adding a old concept of Steam-power Instalation, to inspire graphic:

Hope i did helped

Canute

ehhh wouldn't that be a none-adv. power generation ? :-)

sulusdacor

have all my stuff postet here now: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26276.0
(this topic is an old one.)

i'm glad you like the mod ;)

as for the power it was at first a mod for myself to do some kind of endgame power options. so thats why it only has the advanced ones. so yeah steam would not fit that bill necessarily^^ fun thing is that i just thought yesterday when working a bit on adding solar panels, if it wouldn't be an option to add some low tier tech options to have the similar divison between medieval (more industrialisation for this mod), industrial, spacer like techlevels. since this is kinda the techadvancements i choose for most of my mods.

the thing is that from a gameplay perspective this is hardly worth it. you can research electricity so fast, that building such low tier tech is not worth it. the other point is there is already the generator ingame, the one you power with wood. so it would require to overhaul quite a lot of the base game to be a viable option other then just cosmetic. the large base game changes i usally not like because it limits your mods compatibility. so yeah it would probably not happen in the near future for that reasons. (and i'm working on my other mods too)

if you want to see your conept ingame you can:
1. do it yourself or
2. you can try the call of chutullu/lovecraft storyteller mods. they add a bunch of industrialisation age style stuff from what i have seen in the pictures. i haven't played with these myself, but from the thematic perspective adding such powersources there would probably fit better and make more sense. maybe ask the author if he plans to add such things.

lllMWNlll

Quote from: sulusdacor on November 18, 2016, 04:04:27 AM
have all my stuff postet here now: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26276.0
(this topic is an old one.)

i'm glad you like the mod ;)

as for the power it was at first a mod for myself to do some kind of endgame power options. so thats why it only has the advanced ones. so yeah steam would not fit that bill necessarily^^ fun thing is that i just thought yesterday when working a bit on adding solar panels, if it wouldn't be an option to add some low tier tech options to have the similar divison between medieval (more industrialisation for this mod), industrial, spacer like techlevels. since this is kinda the techadvancements i choose for most of my mods.

the thing is that from a gameplay perspective this is hardly worth it. you can research electricity so fast, that building such low tier tech is not worth it. the other point is there is already the generator ingame, the one you power with wood. so it would require to overhaul quite a lot of the base game to be a viable option other then just cosmetic. the large base game changes i usally not like because it limits your mods compatibility. so yeah it would probably not happen in the near future for that reasons. (and i'm working on my other mods too)

if you want to see your conept ingame you can:
1. do it yourself or
2. you can try the call of chutullu/lovecraft storyteller mods. they add a bunch of industrialisation age style stuff from what i have seen in the pictures. i haven't played with these myself, but from the thematic perspective adding such powersources there would probably fit better and make more sense. maybe ask the author if he plans to add such things.

Hey Thanks for the heads up about "xutulu"/lovercraft mod i will look into it.

Also thanks for considering my idea. If i have the time and experience in programming i would create my own mod and share it, maybe one day, heh?

You made a good point why you can't add, no problem.
I will look into your new mods :) - "power generation mods" it's what i'm looking yet. Maybe Lovercraft gives me some help with it.

Thanks! I wish sucess in your modding :D