Steam is very clearly running....

Started by rexx1888, September 08, 2016, 10:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rexx1888

My steam copy of rimworld is insisting it cant make steam work, then turning itself off. Im sorry, but no, thats not a thing. Steam is running. Steam is always running.

More importantly, this is the only game ive ever come across that A) decides that since IT cant make steam work, i have to fix it :\

an B) has ever done this

So can we instead have it not turn itself off just because its having a fit at a minimum. As is, i have no idea what the issue is anyway :\ It worked fine yesterday...

nccvoyager

First of all, please provide your operating system.
(Linux, Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, etc?)

Second, please provide information as to how you started the game.
(Through the Steam library interface, from a desktop shortcut, or another method?)

The Steam version of RimWorld shutting itself down if it cannot detect Steam running is a method of DRM in order to help prevent piracy of the game.
Many games on Steam actually forgo any DRM, and can be freely copied to another computer and run with no issues.

I would like to bring your attention to the pinned thread at the top of the Support section first.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4805.0

Now then.
There are many reasons why RimWorld may not be able to detect that Steam is running.

The simplest explanation is that the game was started directly from the rimworld executable file instead of through the Steam user interface.

If this is not the case, Steam may be running with a different permission level than RimWorld.
Is Steam being run "As An Administrator" or in a "Compatibility Mode" while RimWorld is not?

Are you running RimWorld using an administrator account?
If not, please attempt to run RimWorld using an administrator account, as programs run in Windows operating systems using "normal" accounts are often restricted.

RimWorld may be being blocked from detecting Steam by an antivirus program, though this is less likely to happen with Steam versions.

Otherwise, there may be an issue relating to the way in which Steam updates games.
Please verify the integrity of the game cache by:
Right-click on RimWorld, and select "Properties"
Click on the "Local Files" tab
Select "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache"
Wait until the process completes, and Steam will automatically re-download any missing or damaged files it detects.

If these things do not help rectify the problem, or you are running a Linux operating system, please provide your operating system, and someone more qualified than I am may render assistance as soon as they are able to.

As a final note, another possibility, though quite an unlikely one, depends on where you have installed Steam, and RimWorld.
Some versions of Windows (starting with Windows Vista) may sometimes restrict programs if they are placed in the default "Program Files" directory, or the "Program Files x86" directory on 64-bit systems.
Unfortunately, moving Steam games from one directory to another is no longer possible.
Creating a different "Steam Library Folder" and then re-downloading RimWorld to that one could be done, however, and this may in fact fix the issue.

BlackSmokeDMax

Steam does this on many other games, although it doesn't happen as frequently as it used to.

A couple things that have worked for me (or others in posts I have read)

> Exit Steam Gracefully (in steam client go to: Steam --> Exit  , then restart steam)

if that doesn't work...

> Reboot computer

usually one of the two does the trick for me, although like I said, it hasn't happened recently, think the last time I had it happen is when AoW3 first released.

Calahan

@ rexx1888 - Did the answers and information kindly provided by nccvoyager and BlackSmokeDMax help you resolve the problem you were having with the game/Steam?

@ BlackSmokeDMax - Thanks for helping.

@ nccvoyager - Thank you for taking the time to write a troubleshooting guide for a Steam related issue. Again! I think I'm going to start calling you "The Steam Whisper" if you keep this up :)