Bullet Speed does...?

Started by Deimos Rast, September 08, 2016, 10:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deimos Rast

Obviously it determines the velocity of the projectile fire. What I'd like to know is if it has any other effects, such as on damage.
Reading the wiki page on Weapons, which gives damage calculations, it would seem not. Can anyone confirm?

I forget if the Combat Realism mod utilizes it or not - anyone know off hand? I'm guessing it does, since it seems the type of mod to better mod projectile physics.

Weapons Wiki Page
#StopPluginAbuse

Britnoth

Bullet speed has no effect on gameplay, UNLESS it is for weapons with an AoE, such as the triple rocket launcher.

At longer range, the speed of the rocket is important in that you can dodge behind walls or even run outside its AoE radius before it reaches you.

Add in the 'fix' where enemies with it would no longer fire at you if they lose line of sight, and it made the triple rocket pretty much a joke.  :-\

iceteazz

_ Bullet speed is really important at long range, because if you use a low speed projectile like greatbow, when your projectile ( arrow ) fly, it takes too long and sometime the target has moved to a new position and avoid your shot. This is just a matter for long range fire fights, in close range, the time is short and projectiles would hit anyways.

mumblemumble

Quote from: iceteazz on September 08, 2016, 11:44:15 PM
_ Bullet speed is really important at long range, because if you use a low speed projectile like greatbow, when your projectile ( arrow ) fly, it takes too long and sometime the target has moved to a new position and avoid your shot. This is just a matter for long range fire fights, in close range, the time is short and projectiles would hit anyways.
Sorry but, does this even happen? I was under the impression that a "hit" would hit no matter if they moved away from the destination or not
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

iceteazz

Quote from: mumblemumble on September 09, 2016, 12:19:14 AM
Quote from: iceteazz on September 08, 2016, 11:44:15 PM
Sorry but, does this even happen? I was under the impression that a "hit" would hit no matter if they moved away from the destination or not

_ I don't have exactly proof, but that's my feel when my careful shooter with 15 shooting using a good great bow at medium range, was trying to shoot a melee raider from the side, but miss alot because i saw when the arrow flying, he just moved 2 or 3 paces from old position. Happened to guns too, but at longer range, at medium and short range it's hit or not depends only from cover and accuracy, not flying time of projectiles.

Deimos Rast

I think he means the longer the projectile is in flight, the longer the target has to get behind cover before he gets shot. It makes sense, but I can't think of a time of it ever happening off the top of my head.
Forgot about rockets, good point there.
Thanks for the replies!
#StopPluginAbuse

Shurp

Grenades are an even better example.  Many times I have seen a grenade hurled and I quickly grab my pawns and get them to run.  They escape injury as a result.  I think this is even WAD.  Running from grenades is a sensible strategy :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.