Hide stats of crashlanded people until you've talked to them

Started by Serenity, September 09, 2016, 12:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serenity

Right now crashlanded people (to clarify: not your starting colonists) are a bit gamey: you check their stats and if they are terrible you usually leave them to die. If they are good, you rescue them.

It might be nice if you only see their stats once you've captured them and had your warden talk to them. So you have to take a risk and maybe invest some medicine to see if they are a good fit.
On the other hand I've had lots and lots of shitty people land. Way too many...

The same could also apply to raiders. But that would also make it impossible to see anyone's stats. Many people might like that for tactical reasons. But you can fight them without knowing those things.

deslona

I would apply this to all incoming pawns. Like raiders or traders. They just need to interact (talk) with them then *poof* all the detailed character info is there. Social and Injuries  should always be visible.
I do have a (bad) habit of only saving raiders that have useful stats.

It may help building in a system where colonists also talk to visitors (which I haven't seen happen in vanilla) could have a more useful application for the long term when building relationships with factions.

carbon

At most this should be a toggle-able option.

If it's hard coded, I'm just going to do what I did with the last terrible pawn who force-joined my colony without asking: make them punch a rhino, naked.

I frankly just don't find babysitting a blind, asthmatic slowpoke with a developing tumor to be worthwhile gameplay.

Serenity

Or add the ability to decline those random joiners the game forces on you. The Hospitality mod does that. Just adds a dialogue that says "Someone wants to join your colony. Yes/no".
Another event where you don't see their stats is when someone is being chased and you can decide to rescue them. I usually decide that based on whether my colony can support another person.

But with captured people, you can always decide to just release them instead. After you've seen their stats :)

carbon

Ah. I see. I slightly misunderstood your suggestion.

I took it to mean the three original colonists who crashland (and perhaps all pawns in general), not just the crashlanding random pawn drop event.

Although, I don't think I support the latter idea either. That seems like quite a bit of coding hassle for the developer for only 30 seconds of mystery.

Shinzy

Ohh this has been suggested a few times
And I still want it ;D it's not like all the pawns arrive with their resume

Lightzy

+1 because it makes sense.

But really, it's pointless. It's just a waste of time..

It means you have to imprison freakin everybody just to know their stats before you let them go or kill them.

At least now I can see their stats and just let them die wherever they are if they're garbage, which saves me as the player the hassle

Kegereneku

Only as a togglable off-by-default option, and we should now how bad it is to make alternate game-mechanics for a game.
(In my opinion) I don't think it fit the game. You need those data for "storytelling purpose" (whatever you understand by that).

I feel it like the sort of thing that only sound good on the paper (like "Fog of War"). Without reworking the gameplay to give you the ability to fight this "lack of knowledge" it will just be a frustrating micro-management in a game built for macromanagement. Plus there's the dev-problem of how much this (optional) code need to be updated each time ?

Of course I do recognize this one is easier to add. It do fit more along the macro-management.
[Capture] -> [Set to talk only] -> [come back frequently to see as info appear] -> [chose release, execution or try to recruit]

But that fact it can be added don't mean it's a good idea.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !