Give mood buff "Justice served" when executing prisoners instead of mood debuff

Started by itchylol, September 09, 2016, 05:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itchylol

Right now executing prisoners is completely useless compared to releasing them since executing them gives a mood debuff and doesn't improve relations with the faction. I think executing a prisoner should make colonists happy that justice was served (especially people who were personally harmed by raiders). This would make it balanced compared to releasing a prisoner. The mood buff would be very helpful right after a raid when everyone is unhappy from blood everywhere and being injured.

deslona

I think this requires a check to see if said prisoner killed a colonist otherwise this would just lead to abuse. And releasing a prisoner that killed a colonist could give a negative mood.

KnockTwice

After a raid, we captured one of the raiders who had shot up the colonists pretty bad.  This was a psychopath pyromaniac who didn't really seem a good fit for the colony and didn't have great skills.  In the middle of the night the prisoner escaped and nearly beat to death the first colonist on the scene.  I did not 'rescue' the prisoner, and set the prisoner for 'no treatment', so the escapee bled to death.

The colonists got a mood debuff for 'innocent prisoner died'.  That prisoner was anything but innocent, after attempting to kill the colony, then escaping and attempting again.

mumblemumble

I agree more should be done to give prisoners the right level of sympathy. I think perhaps giving prisoners a track record of things done (raids, if they kill someone, stealing, ect.  For instance, a pirate band colonist i think would have little sympathy for, where as a random spacer you would. I think it should be a combination of the faction they are from, if they are pirates, how good relations are, if they hurt someone or stole, and base it off that.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

gamhd

I agree. You make me think of some kind of execution, like the pawns come around to see the prisonner getting kill. Basically like a party. Then they got the mood boost "Justice served". And the meeting in itself will be a joy activity

Lightzy

+1

Innocent prisoner my ass, there's no innocent prisoners in this game, except for the occasional family member that drops in a drop pod that you have to IMPRISON in order for him to MAYBE join his wife's colony.

I don't understand why this dumb shit hasn't been changed already but I suppose it's functional, if conceptually retarded

Sanaart

I actually agree with this for an in game reason.

If a prisoner dies in your care, you get a debuff of "innocent prisoner died." If you actually read this buff, it says it would be better if the colony simply executed them, because letting them die of an untreated infection or something is barbaric.

So, I executed a colonist to avoid this debuff. Instead we get a /greater/ debuff  when I execute a prisoner, contrary to what my colonists are telling me. I believe it should be less or the "innocent prisoner died" subscription should change.

baegle

QuoteI don't understand why this dumb shit hasn't been changed already but I suppose it's functional, if conceptually retarded

Because the game is in Alpha still. Pretty much all sorts of things are going to be judged by "is it functional?" first before choosing to improve something that works over building the new systems that are under development.

Meziljin

Quote from: Sanaart on September 11, 2016, 11:25:12 PM
I actually agree with this for an in game reason.

If a prisoner dies in your care, you get a debuff of "innocent prisoner died." If you actually read this buff, it says it would be better if the colony simply executed them, because letting them die of an untreated infection or something is barbaric.

So, I executed a colonist to avoid this debuff. Instead we get a /greater/ debuff  when I execute a prisoner, contrary to what my colonists are telling me. I believe it should be less or the "innocent prisoner died" subscription should change.

it's more than this
It's really non-sense this debuff because our colonist while drafted to fight usually kill a lot of enemies, because are "enemies", why they should show mercy after they got prisoned?
"Release" and "execute" should work on 2 binaries:
-release allow me to get a diplomatic boost (increase relation) but i lose a potential new colonist and THIS should give a mood debuff to my colony
-"Execute" allow me to kill an enemy, giving me a mood buff because i "ensured" protection and safety, but i lose reputation with faction and a potential new colonist

This should be che choice, actually execute is totally useless and non-convenient 

Wex

As things are now, you'd better leave them bleed to death on the ground, if you aren't recruiting. Or you can finish them off, if you like.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Dangime

No penalties for unloading a clip or two into helpless downed enemies either. It's a little weird that 5 minutes later its an execution penalty.

code99xx

Yeah i too agree, this whole prisoner thing is dumb and should get fixed asap.

Thirite

Quote from: deslona on September 09, 2016, 06:57:19 PM
I think this requires a check to see if said prisoner killed a colonist otherwise this would just lead to abuse. And releasing a prisoner that killed a colonist could give a negative mood.

I think this would probably be the best solution.

delor

Quote from: Meziljin on September 12, 2016, 01:58:03 AM
It's really non-sense this debuff because our colonist while drafted to fight usually kill a lot of enemies, because are "enemies", why they should show mercy after they got prisoned?

Because murdering someone who isn't fighting back is generally considered worse in human society than killing someone who is actively trying to kill you?

At best, that seems like a buff for psychopaths and some small portion of colonists who directly lost a friend or family member in the attack.

That said, given the rough-and-tumble nature of Rimworld and the fact that keeping prisoners alive consumes resources, I think there's a pretty good argument for not applying a penalty for executing a prisoner.  Or, possibly, at least not applying the penalty to colonies that are in some sort of detectable condition where you couldn't always expect them to care for a prisoner- colonies that are low on food or have fewer than five colony members without serious injuries, for example.

CannibarRechter

>  Because murdering someone who isn't fighting back is generally considered worse in human society than killing someone who is actively trying to kill you?

I just shoot all downed pawns in the head on the battlefield, myself. Anyway, in human societies of all types and throughout a good chunk of history until very recently, it was pretty common to capture the bad guys, have a show trial, and Hang 'Em High. That is if summary executions didn't happen, instead.

Anyway, in spite of my bombastic posturing ;-P, I'm not a fan of using historical context to justify game design. The game design decisions should be just that.

Anyway, how about a compromise? The pawns that come from the irredeemable pirate faction should have no debuff when executed. The others, well that's a different discussion.

CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects