Hauling/Carrying is too Inefficient

Started by Dangime, September 10, 2016, 04:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangime

1 squirrel = 1 muffalo
1 hat = muffalo
Person wears helmet, body armor, parka, pants, shirt but can only carry 1 hat to haul.
I carry 2 weeks of laundry in a basket all the time. Okay...a month's laundry.
Storage is similarly silly.
You need the equivalent of Dwarf Fortresses' wheel barrels and boxes. Late game seems to just bog down into hauling fatigue. Stuff is laying everywhere, no time to pick it up.

KillTyrant

Id love for some storage options. I often have to designate 8 or more people as full time haulers (usually researchers late game and higb stat people that are rendered useless due to an injury or age.

Serenity

I've found that hauling within a base only becomes efficient once you've trained some animals to do it. Then when you need to haul steel from a distant mining site or the loot from a crashed ship you can notice how inefficient the system is.

For storage, the issues are both the low stack limit (I understand why it's not in hundreds, but why 75?) and that for example a 70% cloth parka and a 60% cloth parka can't be stacked (I think).

Lys

Part of the issue is also that pawns may split a haul-run that could be done by one person. I.e. 60 steel lying in 2 different stacks nearby, 2 pawns start running each carrying only 30 of it...

Grishnerf

Quote from: Dangime on September 10, 2016, 04:34:47 PM
Late game seems to just bog down into hauling fatigue. Stuff is laying everywhere, no time to pick it up.

in lategame you have more pawns (around 15-25 if you play smart) + around 20 Huskys/Labradors.
hauling is no real Problem, only in early game if you dont Setup your job priorities the right way.
it will cripple you to death.
Job priorities is the most overlooked and important task to do in this game.
it can be the changing factor for your colony.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

Lightzy

Why would you ever want over 10 pawns is beyond me.
Maybe just for whimsy, but the game is much easier to win with 8

SpaceDorf

Different win conditions for different players  aside, I think the game would very much from increasing the max stacksize of 75. Seeing as there allready hauling animals and improved humans that could carry more than that, but can't. Also the massive popularity of storage mods show there is a need for order. Even the pawns see the massive storage areas as ugly. And there is nothing we can do against it as players, since the colony needs all this shit of which half is rotting away if not stuffed somewhere inside.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

logiboy123

One answer I have found is Wild Boars.

They are smart enough to train up quickly and they breed really fast. I start my games with 2 male and 2 female and I have 20 by mid game.

Another answer is Robots ++.

TrashMan

add strength stat.
strength stat determines how much a pawn can carry (applies to animals too)

Your roided up, cyber-enhanced, power-armor weapong super-soldier could carry 300 units. The pet chiuaua would carry 1

SpaceDorf

Quote from: TrashMan on September 12, 2016, 04:25:06 AM
add strength stat.
strength stat determines how much a pawn can carry (applies to animals too)

Your roided up, cyber-enhanced, power-armor weapong super-soldier could carry 300 units. The pet chiuaua would carry 1

@trashman
Part of that is allready in by manipulation. If you install Bionic Arms into your Pawns, the Hauling Capacity actually increases, as is decreases by frail back or a decrease in manipulation.
Bodysize also Matters, Elephants can carry a whole stack of hay. And Bears about 130 .. ( I am guessing here, don't have the actual numbers )
So all whats stopping them is the stacksize.

My conclusion : Hauling is not inefficent, but storage and stacklimits are :)

Dan_Backslide

For me I think the problem is more that there is no way to make hauling more efficient other than throwing bodies at the problem. We're talking about people who at the very least should know of the concept of the wheel if they are making space ships. Especially if you are looking at having maps that cover large areas it makes hauling less efficient. I would suggest that some sort of transport object is created that a person can man and act as a hauler similar to how a mortar is manned. Be it a simple hand cart, an animal drawn wagon, a steam engine, a combustion engine, and electricity. You might not even have to add new resources either because there are vehicles that we currently have that work on wood gas. An electric vehicle could require charging at a charging station and draws power from your grid. Everything is subject to breakdowns as well.

I have a problem where my colonists take an excessively long time to get my crops in out of the weather. If you have a person in a hauling vehicle essentially drive out to where the resources have been harvested, load up a vehicle, and then drive back. Repeat until all in and even combine with hand hauling. This makes one person's effort at hauling much more efficient, adds more tech to the research screen, gives players another opportunity to sink resources, can give people another job of maintaining the vehicle in some capacity, and actually makes some logical sense. Hell, you might even be able to have the electric one quick charge off your stored battery power. Any way you look at it though, having a space ship but no concept of a wheel is an anachronism.

Oh and one complaint I really need to make is that hay once bailed is essentially weather proof so having hay rot makes no sense.

TrashMan

When you think about it, a stack of steel is actually a pretty large amount of steel. Or is it?

How must steel could 1 person reasonably carry (we can even assume colonists in Rimworld are using wheelbarrows) and how much can be made with it? What can you build with 75 steel?

Boba Phat

What about a "tool" slot?  It opens the option for giving players a buff with a specific task, one of which can be hauling:

Neolithic: travois
Medieval: wooden cart
Industrial: wheelbarrow or hod
Futuretech: maglev or ground effect platform

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Dan_Backslide on September 12, 2016, 11:04:40 PM

Oh and one complaint I really need to make is that hay once bailed is essentially weather proof so having hay rot makes no sense.

This is only true if the Hay is kept dry. If a bale of hay or straw gets wet it rots like everything else.

Deimos Rast

Not sure if it's been suggested yet, but...
you could just go into (this is from memory so sorry if slightly wrong) StatDefs > General_Pawn_Stats and adjust carrying capacity and/or move speed and other such stats.
#StopPluginAbuse