Humanoid vs Human?

Started by TheEisbaer, March 17, 2014, 12:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sion

That's a well written document, except for one tiny expression under "Key technologies":
"Fusion reactors and rockets - Clean atomic energy, usable to create power or drive a craft into orbit."

There is nothing clean about atomic energy, sure it doesn't produce carbon dioxide in the power plant (but to dig it up and transporting it both before and after use still does), but it produces deadly and highly radioactive waste that takes several 100 000 years to store until it reaches the same level of radioactivity as the natural background radiation and can be considered "safe".
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Tynan

Sion, this is hypothetical fusion technology in a sci-fi universe, not a fission reactor from the 60's.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

totalmonkey

Quote from: Tynan on March 28, 2014, 09:04:22 PM
Sion, this is hypothetical fusion technology in a sci-fi universe, not a fission reactor from the 60's.

Technically, even real-life fusion power is generally considered "clean" compared to fission power. So... the document is basically still correct.

Thunder Rahja

I'm going to recreate Chernobyl in a futuristic setting in Alpha 3 now.

Sion

Well ok, they might have found a solution that makes the nuclear fuel burn out faster witch would reduce the half-life of the fuel in the future.

Quote from: Thunder1 on March 29, 2014, 01:11:56 AM
I'm going to recreate Chernobyl in a futuristic setting in Alpha 3 now.
Will there be radioactive poisoning in Rimworld?

And Thunder1, enjoy your wasteland.
You can try to build Megaton from Fallout 3 :P

Rokiyo

Quote from: Sion on March 29, 2014, 06:32:42 AM
Well ok, they might have found a solution that makes the nuclear fuel burn out faster witch would reduce the half-life of the fuel in the future.

My understanding is that idea behind nuclear fusion (creating energy by combining atoms, like our sun does), instead of nuclear fission (creating energy by splitting atoms, like a modern day nuclear power plant does), is that the fuels used generally come from stable elements like helium and hydrogen. No half-lifes to worry about.

I hear that the act of fusing atoms together is still likely to irradiate the actual structure of the reaction chamber (so we won't be completely free of the radioactive waste issue), but I believe the actual fuels and by-products won't be nearly as dangerous as the ones needed for nuclear fission.

Sion

It seems to me that we have drifted away from the original topic that this thread was intended to be about in the beginning.
I suggest that we should make a new topic about this, and move this fission/fusion discussion over there.
I never intended to start a debate of this proportions about this topic.

Ender

Quote from: Rokiyo on March 29, 2014, 07:56:28 AM
Quote from: Sion on March 29, 2014, 06:32:42 AM

My understanding is that idea behind nuclear fusion (creating energy by combining atoms, like our sun does), instead of nuclear fission (creating energy by splitting atoms, like a modern day nuclear power plant does), is that the fuels used generally come from stable elements like helium and hydrogen. No half-lifes to worry about.

I hear that the act of fusing atoms together is still likely to irradiate the actual structure of the reaction chamber (so we won't be completely free of the radioactive waste issue), but I believe the actual fuels and by-products won't be nearly as dangerous as the ones needed for nuclear fission.

OR. you could just use thorium and have more than half of this issue go away, but ya back to the actual topic.

I think we are seeing the first possibilities of Humanoid characters in Rimworld with the implementations of different factions, as to me that will seem to, be the start of a different "faction" that happens to not be specifically "Human".
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Tynan

Ender: Yes, faction will have races in the future. Currently they're all still human but I'd love to have some with different species mixes.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Ender

Quote from: Tynan on March 29, 2014, 05:40:32 PM
Ender: Yes, faction will have races in the future. Currently they're all still human but I'd love to have some with different species mixes.

That's great!  8)

Splinterbee

cyborg lizard cats?
Video games, are pretty good

Ender

Quote from: Splinterbee on March 31, 2014, 08:08:02 PM
cyborg lizard cats?

*facepalm*