[A16] MarsX v3.0.2 - Musky Edition

Started by Dubwise, September 11, 2016, 09:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yavorh

Quote from: Elixiar on November 18, 2016, 12:00:55 PM
Excellent.

Randy Random it is!

Again, I heavily advise against it - even with Cassandra they were a bit too often. As in one after the other for 3 days often, including toxic drain out routines necessary in the meanwhile.

Randy, with the lack of much event diversity right now, will wreck you and never let you have your supplies.

This will be fixed in the next patch as it will contain more events, considering at least what dubwise ahs told us.

Serenity

Been giving this a try again and steel is a real issue. Either there needs to be more starting steel, or it needs to possible to build more out of non-steel. As it is steel is like wood in the arctic. You need it for certain things and especially some work benches. But after you have built some conduits, air outlets, heaters, etc. there isn't enough left.

Also what's the needed O2 level? I thought it was safe and then someone died of "O2 saturation".

Rock5

Quote from: Serenity on November 18, 2016, 09:33:08 PM
Been giving this a try again and steel is a real issue. Either there needs to be more starting steal, or needs to possible to build more out of non-steel. As it is steel is like wood in the arctic. You need it for certain things and especially some work benches. But after you have build some conditions, air outlets, heaters, etc. there isn't enough left.

Also what's the needed O2 level? I thought it was safe and then someone died of "O2 saturation".
I'm not sure. If you're just a little careful you should have enough steel a to make the smelter when you're ready to. You have to also be careful to have enough steel and components to make the components bench.

The thing I find unbalanced is the components. Steel takes time to make but is acceptable. Components take even longer but are just acceptable. But components need steel. I find that making components by first making the necessary steel first, takes way too long. As soon as I stop producing components they soon run out because of breakdowns so I can't stop producing them.

I'm not sure how to fix this. Either the components bench needs to produce a lot more components per work or the components and steel needs to be decoupled somehow. Maybe the components can be changed to need iron instead. That would work.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Canute

QuoteBeen giving this a try again and steel is a real issue.
Yep, on my 1. try i got a similar problem.
But you should use steel at first only for things you need steel for.
Other items you can build with iron, you should use that.
Solar collectors with aluminium.
Once you got the smelter, it doesn't matter anymore.

Nord

IMHO, smelting job is too slow, so i personally for myself tripled amount of steel produced per one time(and amount of ore used).

Distorti0N

I'd just like to point out, that this mod is in no way intended to be easy or improve 'quality-of-life' gaming. It is supposed to be difficult, arduous and frustrating. That is part of the challenge.
If you compare manufacturing to real-world processes, Rimworld has it easy. Even on Mars.

When I first started using this mod, man did I get pissed trying to make everything work together and establish a Martian colony, but practise makes perfect and now I'm looking to push the difficulty. Embrace the challenge, or remove and play with Phoebe.

yavorh

To be honest, steel isn't much of a problem, but components are - sort of due to the wonky and seemingly random prioritization of the tasks. If component production can be put into a different category of work along with other "skilled work", it'd be nice.

As for steel, just a little story - I decided to create a giant quad-dome habitat just to see how big I'd need a facility to make an ultra high tech supporting place for the next few landings of people.

I had 4 smelters with ultimate materials delivery for max efficiency (as in two stools besides all workers with steel nonstop supplied). I managed to build a, I believe 30 or 35 diameter dome housing 12 people in about a month. So it's possible, but it's a bitch. Thus, can't wait till the update :D

Rock5

I think I made a mistake playing with just 1 guy. After setting up and being self sufficient I don't know what else to do. If it was a growing colony I would at least have expansions to do.

Just for something to do I set up a dinning room and rec room even though, being by myself, it seemed a little extravagant. I also do a lot of art even though I'm terrible at it. Is there anything else I could be doing? Here's a pic of my base.

I think there definitely needs to be more things to do. Maybe some of the omitted things could be reintroduced in a different way, eg. farming native martian lifeforms, attacks from martians, trading with Earth, etc. I think these ideas are probably contrary to the intent of the mod but there really needs to be more to do.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Serenity

Get yourself a proper bedroom :p

What's with the vents do the outside? Do vents only transfer heat and not martian air?

Rock5

That's one of the last things I added. Vents can be closed, so they are useful for clearing toxic air without killing the soil and plants.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

EldVarg

Maybe sending rock samples back to earth could be one task to do?
Soon with a16 and you be able to get outside colony there would be a lot more things to to. Like go find old mars explorers/landers. Hopefully vehicle support will then be added.

Elixiar

So I have setup my first colony, but then realised toxicity is way too high.

Is there any way to lower it without venting the entire room via roof removal? I'd just do that, but it takes so damn long to resoil a hydroponics dome then I just can't be bothered. (Since it kills the soil.)

I have a decent realistic looking colony but everyone is still living in suits!
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

yavorh

As for the one guy situation - your mission is to escape yo. :I

Otherwise, for the doing stuff part. I was thinking that too. We can't keep making statues for arts and stuff all the time, so I was thinking maybe the idea of a "hobbies" meter or expanding the activities that add to "joy".

Like adding "soap carving" or just something that is art related, but smaller in size or doesn't occupy storage. Hell, theater acts, whatnot. Just things that specific colonists would like to do and would need facilities or benches or resources to do.

Rock5

Quote from: Elixiar on November 22, 2016, 10:55:11 PM
So I have setup my first colony, but then realised toxicity is way too high.

Is there any way to lower it without venting the entire room via roof removal? I'd just do that, but it takes so damn long to resoil a hydroponics dome then I just can't be bothered. (Since it kills the soil.)

I have a decent realistic looking colony but everyone is still living in suits!
Use vents to move toxicity out of your base. You will need more than 1 room to save soil. Eg.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X               X                 X
V               V   FARM       X
X               X                 X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

X = Wall, V = Vent

What you do is vent the left room then close the vent. Then open the vent in the middle which will move some of the toxicity to the left room. Then close the vent and vent the left room again. Repeat until toxicity is at an acceptable level but watch your O2 and pressure. Don't let them get too low or the soil will still die. I aim to keep the O2 at least 5%. I don't know what the magic number is. If the O2 level is too low but you're still not happy with the toxicity level you should wait a bit until your O2 has risen. This still takes time but less than having to resoil your farm.

Hope that helps.

Tips:
- Keep as much wiring in walls as possible to reduce fires.
- Make sure you always have components to immediately repair moxies as a disabled moxie can cause toxicity to rise.
- Have extra air outlets to speed up re-pressure. You can always turn them off latter if you have too many.
- Temporarily move any spare air outlets, in rooms that are already pressurized, to the room you are re-pressurizing to speed up the process.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Domkrat282

Sorry for my broken English.