[A16] MarsX v3.0.2 - Musky Edition

Started by Dubwise, September 11, 2016, 09:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubwise

rimkit almost done, thats probably uploaded to steam tonight and then the central heating in hygiene needs another couple of days then i'll upload that to steam, then if it all works i'll zip up hygiene rimkit and skylights updates for the forum

Canute

Quoteso venting is much faster again and you don't get the dodgy spiky air levels when you roll your mouse over air outlets or adjacent cells to doors and vents.
Sounds more like you can die much faster.
What do you think about indoor Emergency Airlocks ?
They stay open, but when a room loose pressure, they auto. close and don't open when a pawn try to pass.
But can override to get open by manual control for pawn's with EVA.

Dubwise

just coded in an extra check on my vent comp so if the pressure difference is too high it sets hold door to false and forces the door to close

Derp

I've been playing this mod lately.  Great job.

I wanted to share some thoughts/feedback, in no particular order:

• I like the shift to comfy gameplay.  Establishing a colony is less about base survival and more about not having to smell each others' spacesuit farts and turning off all of the equipment every night.  It strikes a good balance between ruthless efficiency and aimless base building.
  • I like the crate system for space cargo.  The points-based ordering you describe earlier might be more efficient, but as it is you have enough granularity to generally get what you need, and also some extra stuff to find something to do with it.
  • I like the inflatable hab design for building, but it feels silly deliberately making them out of iron and stone.  It'd be nice if we could order a crate of inflatable habs of various configurations to set up together.  A couple of single-person rooms/survival habs, a tubelike hallway or two, some agri-domes, that kind of thing.
  • Similarly, I wish you could order and build with inflatable material, and use martian soil as a fast but fragile building material (mostly for thermal insulation). They should replace iron as the go-to for cheap walls.
  • Fitness timers need to be lengthened to at least the point where colonists won't develop muscle atrophy from working too much or choosing a different joy activity once or twice.  Right now it becomes an annoying micromanagement issue to have to manually check everyone's fitness every so often, even with a treadmill readily available.
  • Add "sloven" and "germophobe" personality mods, which influence the impact of personal bathroom hygiene. 

lucas_gauer10

Will you upgrade the mod to the current version of rimworld?

Dubwise

Yes i already started updating it to A17, it probably wont be ready on day 1 because its so big and a bunch of the worldgen stuff has changed, and i have another huge mod to finish for A17

Canute

Maybe you need to work faster another company is working on your idea too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezp8003KFwE

tarabe

Canute

From earth.
Over the fleet, you can choose what kind of rocket will be assembled at earth and what kind of cargo they got.

Ioannis

Quote from: tarabe on May 12, 2017, 11:44:13 PM
How do i get new colonists?
At the bottom of the screen there is a "Mars" tab. This tracks your ships. Each ship takes 2 seasons to arrive. By default, Ares 2 is a cargo ship leaving 2 seasons after you land, but it can be reconfigured to be a crewed ship if you want. Ares 3 is by default a crewed ship.

Ioannis

So I just recently tried out this mod, and man it is a blast. I have never really liked Rimworld's combat very much, but just peacefully building a Rimworld base is not much fun. It needs the combat to be a challenge. This mod makes the "sim" part of the game a real challenge which I really like.

My main criticism is that the difficulty seems a bit frontloaded. I'm on the Random/Some challenge/Normal scenario. In this situation, it seems like you're already in really good shape if you make it to Ares 2 at all, and then Ares 2 itself abruptly solves what problems you still had (in my case it was scarcity of components). Making it to Ares 2 in the first place is not easy, but after that it seems to be smooth sailing. (On the other hand, I have not gotten to Ares 3 yet. Maybe the events become more brutal when you have more than 3 colonists, like in vanilla.)

One other criticism is that it seems like there are some places where Rimworld's own mechanics bleed into this mod in a way that hampers the immersion a little bit. For example, the hab blueprint that you are provided is a great little source of immersion. It's quick to build, a bit tight, but fragile. If you use it as is, your first decompression will probably be a serious problem. Plus it's a dome! But I've found that on a map with enough hills, you're better off installing the hab, scrapping it for materials instead of constructing it, and immediately building into a hill. This gets you a lot more space for cheap. This can backfire--pressurizing the bigger space takes more air--but if you don't get too greedy then it works really well.

Dubwise

Thanks, and yup v3 doesn't have much stuff to worry about once you are up and running, its a short game right now. Its mostly just lots of setup just getting a base for everything like the fleet, gasses, irrigation so that later i can beef it all up and make it more complex. So the fleet will be all weight based and actually cost money to build, you wont be able to send huge quantities of metal, you will have to mine more locally and produce plastics, plants will need to be engineered and bred to survive, you will get far less water from surface ice and need to setup drilling platforms to produce enough for fuel, and there will be research labs that will make use of all the science skills and have experiments that can go wrong.

Mars wont be updated to A17 right away, I made a start on it but there's loads to fix and update for 17 and lots to marge back in from Rimatomics and the standalone hygiene mod, hygiene has the central heating system i planned for mars all up and running so that's going to be included next patch, bunch of lighting stuff, new pipe code, better air code, and Rimatomics has the full custom research system i planned for mars so i can shove that in but i probably wont actually add any research for it yet, just need to get it updated to 17 and working without taking too long and including all the improved stuff that's done. Then once hygiene rimatomics and mars are all out and working on 17 i'll start going nuts on mars again adding buildings and research, rimatomics is probably bigger than mars now and i can steal lots of bits and bobs to use in mars like the research, upgradable buildings, radiation, lasers, all sorts, lots to do.

tag8833

I've been playing this mod for a while, and having a blast.  I've been playing it purely vanilla without other mods enabled.  It is a really major achievement, and I have been very impressed. 

Here is my feedback:

1) Having to micromanage Suits is a bit annoying.  Especially when you get to 50 colonists like I've got.  I have a Proposed fix for this.  Change the "Cleaning" job type that is currently used for cleaning Solar panels to "EVA Work", and the 1st type of work to do is put on a suite.   That way, I can handle it through work Prioritization.  Having two "Cleaning" work types is confusing, anyways.

2) My poor colonists have no protein in their diet.  It wasn't until I was writing this that I realized Condiments could be used for Fine Meals.  Good Martian reference there, I was just a little slow to spot it.  Still, I feel like I should be able to grow something with protein.
A)  Soy (tofu). Change the "Butcher Table" to "Soy Processor" so that I need a task to convert raw Soybeans into Tofu.   
B) Livestock.  :) This would be awesome :) Give me the ability to request a "Livestock" shipment from earth.  I don't know why, but I love the animal husbandry aspect of Rimworld. 

3) I was playing at "Normal" Meaning I had 4 supply ships.  At the start, this was more than enough, but as I got settled, I was ready for more colonists more frequently.  I need to be able to build more ships!  I know that is in the pipeline, but I'm looking forward to it.

4) When I started I was confused about what some of the Chem buildings worked.  At 1st I tried to setup a few AWG's outside to try to collect moisture from the martian atmosphere.  Then i put them inside, and figured you had designed water as a closed system.  Then I realized I needed MIWEXes.   A similar thing happened with the MOXIE.  Once I ran out of MOXIE capacity, I couldn't figure out how to build more MOXIES.  It took me a while to figure out that I needed AGSes.   Most of the problem here is mainly naming convention.   "MOXIE" should be "Micro Atmosphere Generator (MOXIE)"  "AGS" should be "Atmosphere Generator (AGS)".   "AWG" should be "Dehumidifier (AWG)".  MIWEX should be "Water Purifier (MIWEX)".   Mist should be "Sewage Treatment (MIST)"  That way you still get your technical algorithms, but it is less confusing to someone that isn't versed on them.

5) Speaking of Sewage Treatment, Does the MIST have a capacity limit?  Because I'm running my entire colony off of one, and having no problems.  It seems a bit odd.  Also, It would be cool if the Toilet and shower blinked if they weren't connected to sewer.

6) Cabin Fever.  I've got a nice little park, and an enormous interior.  It would be nice if my Pawns could "Go for a Walk" inside under certain conditions.  Maybe less practical of a suggestion.

7) Power.  The Nuclear Generator is neat.  I found out that if you hook two of them to the same heat pipe it doesn't work.  That is one hell of a High Voltage Transformer.  One of my main regrets that I'm not fully self sufficient, because I can't enrich uranium.  It kinda feels like there should be one more power options besides Nuclear and Solar.  I know that isn't terribly practical, but I kinda wish it were a thing.

8 ) Medicine:  I wish I'd had access to smoke leaf, and nuerotromine.  Maybe bring back Psychoid, and let me refine it into nuerotromine so i can make meds.  Maybe some of this is best left to another mod.

9) Scars:  Some of my colonists arrived in a lot of pain.   I wish I could surgically fix that, or maybe give them better prosthetics.  One of my 2nd group of colonists had a carcinoma in his leg so massive that he couldn't walk as soon as inactivity set it.  Good work with that (exercise) by the way.  I am hoping to play this with one of the enhanced medicine and prosthetics mods next time through.

10) Economy:  I wish I had something that I could produce and send back to earth on the return ships.  My low priority proposal is that we add a tool called a "Scanner", and manning that tool would produce "Discoveries" which would result in income that could be used to customize shipments.  Sounds like you've got an economic system planned.  I'm Looking forward to it.

11) Caravans:  Once again, this is fairly low priority, but it would be neat if you could construct "Rovers" that allowed you to create caravans to other Mars Colonies for trade.   Just another addition to enhance the late game.

Anyways, that is my 2 cents.  Might think of something else to add later.  Thanks for making this mod.  I'll be looking forward to anything else you do in the future.

Canute

Just wait for the next version, but that takes some time since he is working on the Rimushima first.

The hygiene mod allready got seperated and further developed since Mars came out, maybe you should try it out with your next non martian colony.

TSM.E3

uhh it seems like a have a problem, i eject the colonists, drop the hab and installed it somehwhere, but the colonists arent doing anything, infact they are doing nothing but wandering, i tried clicking on them and right clicking and nothing shows up, help??