No way to manufacture neutroamine

Started by Dinoabunai, September 12, 2016, 02:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoabunai

Neurotamine is used to produce medicine as well as some drugs.
But there is no way of getting it. (Maybe via trading...)
This is a bug, or so it should be?

Jimyoda

Yeah, there's no way to make your own neutroamine. It's a design decision - probably to keep you from producing too much medicine and drugs to an OP game-breaking level. So definitely not a bug.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

ruddthree

I've only seen it sold by a trader once, so is it rare?

Serenity

Jimyoda

Neutroamine may available from orbital traders and caravan traders of these types: bulk goods, exotic goods, and pirate merchants. Not combat suppliers.

Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

Dinoabunai

Quote from: Jimyoda on September 12, 2016, 02:40:28 PM
Yeah, there's no way to make your own neutroamine. It's a design decision - probably to keep you from producing too much medicine and drugs to an OP game-breaking level. So definitely not a bug.

Is there any reference that it's dev's decision?

cultist

gamhd

When you think about it, not being able to craft neutroamine is a good thing.

Chibiabos

Quote from: Dinoabunai on September 12, 2016, 03:37:22 PM
Is there any reference that it's dev's decision?

https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/08/alpha-15-tutorial-and-drugs-released/ -
You can now produce medicine from herbal medicine, neutroamine (a precursor chemical you buy), and cloth. Requires research.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Tynan

Yes, it's deliberate. It balances the economy, and it makes trade  meaningful.

I'm not sure why some people assume everything should be makeable with zero trading. Trade is an essential, core part of the game. You can't skip it any more easily than you can skip farming.

It's a 12-person colony; you can make any medieval tech on your own but for advanced  modern-like drugs you need to trade. Haven't y'all seen Breaking Bad?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

PotatoeTater

Quote from: Tynan on September 12, 2016, 11:20:26 PM

I'm not sure why some people assume everything should be makeable with zero trading. Trade is an essential, core part of the game. You can't skip it any more easily than you can skip farming.

It's a 12-person colony; you can make any medieval tech on your own but for advanced  modern-like drugs you need to trade. Haven't y'all seen Breaking Bad?

Perfectly stated, that last part was the best though.
Life is Strange

Boba Phat

I'm not sure why some people assume everything should be makeable with zero trading.

I think it's because some of us came to this as a survival game rather than a tower defence or Civilization-lite.  I know I was surprised to see how much constant contact there is with external forces in the game.  I was anticipating more of a squad-baed Stranded Deep-in-space when I got RimWorld, where I'd scrounge for supplies to scratch my way up from neo-lithic to space-faring while trying to avoid starvation, frostbite, and insanity borne of isolation and despair.  Instead of having to agonize over whether to eat the corn now and survive or starve over the winter and hope we don't die so there's something to plant in the spring, which I thought would be the sort of decisions I'd be making, I'm given an infinite amount of anything I care to plant, and then face regular tower defence mini-games in defence of it.

Not saying the game is bad, just very different from what I expected.  I expect others may be the same.  If I had a choice, I'd remove all trading from the game, myself, and make basic survival much harder.

Tynan

I think the question of how much trade is part of the game is separate from how much combat is part of the game. One could eliminate trade and have a strong emphasis on combat (see: real tower defense games). Or, one could eliminate combat and have a strong emphasis on trade.

If you do want to remove traders entirely that'd be an interesting and very easy-to-make mod!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

FMK

TIL: Charge Rifles and Power Armor are medieval tech in RimWorld.

Jokes aside, Malariblock feels pretty underpowered for the fact it takes 5 Neutroamine to make (and isn't really worth buying, either), especially when compared to Medicine.

Between Malaria outbreaks being basically random and that the drug only lasts 5 days, and that Medicine can both be used to help recover from Malaria and everything else that it's useful for instead -- at 1/5th the rate of trader-only materials and not disappearing after 5 days, to boot.

There's just really no reason I can see to make/buy Malariblock as it currently is. Even if you have an exceptionally old/highly damaged kidney(s) pawn who will probably die to Malaria even with Medicine being used to treat them, you would be better off just stocking up on some Luciferium for them. It costs 2.5x as much as Malariblock, but lasts just as long, has a host of other benefits, saves against all other diseases, and is just as likely to be stocked by traders at around half the quantity of Malariblock, with the only drawbacks being that running out is inevitably death (which even then can be mitigated with a Cryopod) and that you can't ever craft it.

Would make more sense if Malariblock either lasted for a few seasons at its current crafting cost, or if it instantly/rapidly cured Malaria at either the same or an increased cost.

That or making Medicine cost more Neutroamine, I guess.

Dinoabunai

Well, OK then. But is there a reference in-game that you can't produce it and should buy it instead?