[Mod Suggestion] Realistic Medical System

Started by Facepunch, September 13, 2016, 01:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facepunch

Yeah, I know there's a lot of mods out there, and they all add a little bit here, and there. That's not what I'm looking for.
What I want is a mod that's basically CR, but with a more advanced medical system. I want the ability to equip pawns with first aid kits, because if a colonist takes a round to the heart, he won't survive walking back to the colony. I'm looking for the necessity of treating wounds sustained outside of the colony, on the spot. Also wound recovery times need to be seriously nerfed. Ive had people all but have their arm shot right off, and they've completely recovered in a couple days. I slipped with a pocket knife and nicked my hand last week, that's still healing. If this exists, please point me in it's direction.

Serenity

I posted some of my thoughts on the insanely fast healing speed here:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25897.0

Some concessions need to be made because it's a game, and of course the time scale is already compressed, but a compromise between something a little more realistic and interesting gameplay is possible.

I'm fine with bruises and small cuts healing on their own within a few days, but some required bed rest for more serious injuries and several days of reduced stats to simulate a recovery period would already allow some meaningful choices. Right now for example, the treatment quality is completely irrelevant except for infections. But healing itself is so fast that you can't tell the difference.

Facepunch

I agree with you. It is a game, but there is no urgency to treating injuries. To expand on what you said in the other post, maybe instead of straight up forced beedrest priotitized bedrest with consequences, like tearing stitches out, or reinjuring a broken bine

Master Bucketsmith

There's at least two mods that make the medical system more realistic, but out the top of my head I don't know if they do exactly what you're searching for.

Facepunch

Quote from: Master Bucketsmith on September 13, 2016, 03:40:49 PM
There's at least two mods that make the medical system more realistic, but out the top of my head I don't know if they do exactly what you're searching for.
I know a few, and they certainly do make very good improvements. Combat Realism is a must for my playthroughs,  but it still feels empty when I can get a colonist to walk back to base with a 7.62 round in his heart.
What I'm really after is a hardcore sorta mod, that adds combat injuries, along with, as Ive said previously, the necessity of battlefield medicine. A good example of a combat injury is a tension pneumothorax, or a sucking chest wound. Treated with a needle decompression kit, your medic can only carry x kits. Minor (Non-arterial) bleeds could be treated by something like Quikclot, and, again, your medic could carry x Quikclots, and so on. Rimworld has a good framework of an outstanding medical system, but it could be so much more than it currently is. Unfortunately, what I'm looking for is a pretty ambitious project. The basic stuff would be easy, but time consuming, and everything else would likely be pretty difficult.
Surely I'm not the only one that wants a more realistic medical system

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: Facepunch on September 13, 2016, 08:39:00 PM
Quote from: Master Bucketsmith on September 13, 2016, 03:40:49 PM
I know a few, and they certainly do make very good improvements. Combat Realism is a must for my playthroughs,  but it still feels empty when I can get a colonist to walk back to base with a 7.62 round in his heart.
What I'm really after is a hardcore sorta mod, that adds combat injuries, along with, as Ive said previously, the necessity of battlefield medicine. A good example of a combat injury is a tension pneumothorax, or a sucking chest wound. Treated with a needle decompression kit, your medic can only carry x kits. Minor (Non-arterial) bleeds could be treated by something like Quikclot, and, again, your medic could carry x Quikclots, and so on. Rimworld has a good framework of an outstanding medical system, but it could be so much more than it currently is. Unfortunately, what I'm looking for is a pretty ambitious project. The basic stuff would be easy, but time consuming, and everything else would likely be pretty difficult.
Surely I'm not the only one that wants a more realistic medical system
Oof! That reminds me of CSE medical for ArmA3.
That's some serious detailed work you're longing for. I'm sure it's possible, but it will require a lot of C# and detours on vanilla behaviour to get it to work properly.

Facepunch

CSE is actually a big part of the original inspiration, but yeah it is pretty tough. I'm sure it would make for a popular mod, though.
If I had any idea how to code C# I would work at it, but I only know basic HTML and Javascript

Serenity

Well, personally I don't want it to completely "realistic". Giving first aid and stopping people from bleeding is ok, but even that can be abstracted a great deal. Instead of having real medicine just carry generic first aid kits. And leave the med kits for stationary treatment. No need to turn this into a military simulation with 20th century technology.

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: Facepunch on September 14, 2016, 06:42:32 AM
CSE is actually a big part of the original inspiration, but yeah it is pretty tough. I'm sure it would make for a popular mod, though.
If I had any idea how to code C# I would work at it, but I only know basic HTML and Javascript
Maybe. Since RimWorld sets out to have depth, yet be simple, I don't think it'll be considered a must-have by the majority.
With the ideas you laid out we're looking at a lot more complexity and a lot less face-value.

Quote from: Serenity on September 14, 2016, 06:45:25 AM
Well, personally I don't want it to completely "realistic". Giving first aid and stopping people from bleeding is ok, but even that can be abstracted a great deal. Instead of having real medicine just carry generic first aid kits. And leave the med kits for stationary treatment. No need to turn this into a military simulation with 20th century technology.
Having a first aid kit that pawns can carry with them to stop bleeding sounds like a great idea!
I'm afraid it'll still require some C# though.
I'm not sure if it's vanilla behaviour or coming from a mod I had in my last playthrough, but I noticed my pawns would usually carry a meal item on them for when they were a long way from home and get hungry.
If that's vanilla, then I'm sure there's a basis for them to carry those first-aid kits in their inventory. :)

Facepunch

Quote from: Serenity on September 14, 2016, 06:45:25 AM

I'd settle for that, as long as bleeding rates were upped quite a bit.  I just find it pretty jarring to fight off a raid, and have somebody walk back to base with a bullet lodged in most of their vital organs.
Quote from: Master Bucketsmith on September 14, 2016, 07:14:31 AM
Quote from: Facepunch on September 14, 2016, 06:42:32 AM
Maybe. Since RimWorld sets out to have depth, yet be simple, I don't think it'll be considered a must-have by the majority.
With the ideas you laid out we're looking at a lot more complexity and a lot less face-value.

My craving for realism is...uncommon amongst a lot of people. But a first aid kit that actually matters is something that would be great. I dont think it would be SO hard to do, there's a healing gun out there, it shouldn't be hard to turn it into a melee weapon, and restrict the effects to 1 injury at a time, at a good cooldown speed. That's basically what I'm looking for, is bleeding rates of 1200%/day, where they aren't likely to survive if they have to walk to the hospital to get treatment.

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: Facepunch on September 14, 2016, 07:50:36 AM
My craving for realism is...uncommon amongst a lot of people. But a first aid kit that actually matters is something that would be great. I dont think it would be SO hard to do, there's a healing gun out there, it shouldn't be hard to turn it into a melee weapon, and restrict the effects to 1 injury at a time, at a good cooldown speed. That's basically what I'm looking for, is bleeding rates of 1200%/day, where they aren't likely to survive if they have to walk to the hospital to get treatment.
That healing gun is a weapon, and wielded as such. They cannot wield any offensive weapon whilst carrying the healing gun.
These are limitations that make it unavailable as a base for a first-aid-kit type of item.
The biggest part of such a mod would be coding the behaviour that pawns check if they have a first-aid-kit in their inventory, and seek one out from storage if they don't.
I was thinking that getting them to automatically apply the just-stop-the-bleeding to another pawn would be way way more work and considered it not part of the initial mod, in this hypothesis.
Having them carry it around and the player being able to draft and force-use the item on another pawn would already mean a lot.

Still, I'm not sure if it would require a detour into vanilla pawn code or if it can be done elsewhere. It might create a lot of incompatibilities with other mods.

Serenity

That's why doing something with wound recovery times is a more realistic goal. Almost all the necessary mechanics are already in the game I think. But healing times are so fast that you don't really notice a difference between treatment qualities except for long running illnesses that need repeated treatments.

Compatibility with other popular medical mods could be an issue. It's already a mess with various mods having compatibility patches.