Beer now worthless?

Started by Shurp, September 12, 2016, 09:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

OK, from what I can tell, a beer now takes 10 days to brew and lasts all of 2 hours.  ???!!!  This is totally useless.  I suppose beer is still useful to sell or in an emergency to knock someone out -- though beating him over the head with a wooden log is much easier.  What gives?

Smokeweed makes my colonists useless and I'm not going to turn them into addicts with anything stronger.  The whole drug system seems pretty screwed up now.  All I want is some Prozac to keep them from going nuts.  What's all this other junk for?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Serenity

Wakeup and go-juice are useful in long combat situations when you have people becoming tired and stressed out.

Sono

Quote from: Shurp on September 12, 2016, 09:59:15 PM
Smokeweed makes my colonists useless and I'm not going to turn them into addicts with anything stronger.  The whole drug system seems pretty screwed up now.  All I want is some Prozac to keep them from going nuts.  What's all this other junk for?

Well yeah, exactly. It is "junk" as it is modelled after real-life drugs. So why shouldn't it have quite some serious negative side effects?
Also you could just don't manufacture drugs or you could actually manufacture them but forbid them for your own colonists and only sell them to traders.

Looking at the wiki I can see what Serenity posted about using Go-Juice and Wake-up as "combat drugs" (mostly Go-juice there).
Smokeleaf.. oh well it gives them happiness and helped my colony to "power" through an exceptionally bad time, when 3 out of 5 colonists died and the other two had to work a lot + all the mood debuffs from "my frined ... died". They were at the edge of major breakdown a lot of time, unforbidding the smokeleaf helped to smooth that out for some time.

kuledude

Wake-up(workers dream),Go-juice and Yayo(+35 mood without any debuffs :O ) are the best drugs out there(lucy also if you can afford it). The other drugs are pretty much outbeaten by these drugs.

podium86

Drugs are more powerful than you think, especially when you stack their bonuses on top of other bonuses.
Here's an example of a 1000% builder speed drugged on wake up and luciferum.

Just manually give them a shot of wake up right around sleep time (around 2200 for default) and they will regain full rest bar ready to power through the night at whatever you need to do.
Its like having no sleep cycles (except when you start building up tolerance to the drugs).

This will actually allow you to speed through the game like mad. (completed flying away 10 colonist on cassandra intense in 70 days).

Though i have to admit beer and smoke joints are weak, but they're really only kept for preventing your colonists from going berserk.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

mumblemumble

Lmao prozac,  where withdrawal is crippling depression,  and an occasional effect of hallucinations, and lack of proper emotions.

Spoiler alert,  no drug is without consequences. Antidepressants often make people very unstable. Most school shooters in the past were on them.

I'd really enjoy instead production of healthy food,  for many (but small) buffs to body and mind.  Nothing HUGE,  but no side effects either, and producing good meals would help health and mental wellbeing.  Maybe a meal with ginger,  fruits,  and greens raising slightly healing,  immune system,  and mental processing.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

carbon

I'm just mad that fermentation seems to have zero tolerance for going out of the temperature range.

I was replacing a door between two interior rooms with temps stable in the 20s. For whatever reason, the game decided that when you combine two rooms at T = 21, the new temperature should definitely be 35. That promptly killed a few hundred bottles worth of fermentation.

After that happened a second time (different interior door), I just gave up and ripped out all of my beermaking gear. It was a huge time / space / resources sink even when it was working.

CannibarRechter

The time delay on beer seems like perhaps it hasn't been incorporated into the value of beer? I'm enjoying my beer production personally, but it seems like maybe there is a cost to production that isn't being properly included in its market value...
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Shurp

The weed is good in serious mood cases. But beer used to be good for general long term mood management. Does anyone still use it for this?  A colonist can now easily blow through a case in two days.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Serenity

I do, but more like just because it's there. I agree that it's a small buff that's overshadowed by other things you can get more easily. But for a few guys, producing some beer doesn't really detract too much from other work either. If you need a lot of it, then yeah it's not really worth it.

mumblemumble

I think this is a more general temperature issue... Items must be treated like colonists,  able to withstand extremely brief high,  or low temperature.

If you put a beer in the freezer,  it doesn't instantly freeze,  it slowly cools. So you would think meat,  beer,  ect,  would do the same,  adjusting to environmental temperature, and slowly adjust to changes,  so putting meat in freezer takes time to freeze,  and taking it out takes time to thaw.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Listen1

I didn't pay much attention to this update, because I'm pretty busy on RL and I just started a play of Civ V... And that's gonna take a while.

How much beer is produced by keg? (I'm gonna call that thing you put the wort a Keg) I work alot for breweries and can look a little more in detail for this subject

kuledude

The alcohol tolerance ruined it all.

mumblemumble

5 hops per wort  kegs hold 25 wort. 1 fermented wort makes one beer.

Kegs are around 50 wood and 20 steel iirc. Its mostly that beer production takes  a while,  and goes bad in bad temperature in the keg. But really,  you can still produce it in the scale as before IF you have lots of kegs,  and hop production,  and don't mess up building insulation

-----

Wex

Now we only need to ferment more things, like agave, berries, corn, rice...
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison