Rimworld Legends?

Started by Kalesin, October 15, 2013, 09:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalesin

Do not know if the game will be like in Dwarf Fortress, the option "Legends", maps and data that exports generated world.

I think it would be a big plus, if not now in a long term.

British

Would that be a journal of sorts, as has been discussed here (among other things) ?

Kalesin

Quote from: British on October 15, 2013, 09:53:19 AM
Would that be a journal of sorts, as has been discussed here (among other things) ?

No, I would like an encyclopedia of Rimworld (assuming that for each item the world is generated randomly).

In Dwarf Fortress option is used, because each world is different, with its geography, history, ....

British

That seem to correspond to the points 1 and 2 in the thread I linked, with added depth (the map and such).

Granted, the other thread may not be optimal to discuss this ;)

Kalesin

Quote from: British on October 15, 2013, 10:32:34 AM
That seem to correspond to the points 1 and 2 in the thread I linked, with added depth (the map and such).

Granted, the other thread may not be optimal to discuss this ;)

From what I understand, the point 1 and 2 talk about what would happen after leaving the colony, that'd happened before, since the planet was formed say until they get shipwrecked / colonists

British

Oh ok, so you want to know everything about the world, from well before the colonists arrive, up to... long after ?

Spike

Given the basic premise of the game (shipwrecked spaceship passengers) I don't think this is needed.  I don't even think I'd want it, to be honest.  You wake up from cold sleep, run to the crash pods, and crash with no chance to get information.

enystrom8734

Quote from: Spike on October 15, 2013, 11:28:10 AM
Given the basic premise of the game (shipwrecked spaceship passengers) I don't think this is needed.  I don't even think I'd want it, to be honest.  You wake up from cold sleep, run to the crash pods, and crash with no chance to get information.

However, I believe there is going to be ancient ruins and such. A history much be an interesting thing to include...
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

Spike

True.  But my point is that the colonists would have no way to know that history.  They were in cold sleep, and might not even have known what route the ship was taking.

However, if it were a history that could be revealed to them (and the player) as you play the game (by digging things up, research, building a telescope and taking observations)...  That kind of thing would be a game enhancement.

Pheanox

Or just having that information available to you as the person playing, it could help you tell more interesting stories in your head or to others.

SpaceEatingTrex

British was right that similar ideas have been brought up before, but it seems like this is more focused on the past whereas most ideas have been for present-time record keeping.

Rather than having a history of the world, I think it would be more fitting to have a history for the people. Not only colonists, but also raiders and travelers and etc. For instance, characters could have a record of fights/kills, with appropriate values for soldiers and similar back-stories. Likewise, characters could have likes or dislikes (food, animals, etc.) that could either affect gameplay or just be fluff.

Semmy

Maybe just maybe.

The tester worlds should be added as ruins to the game.

So they become part of rimworlds legacy
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

British