Boosting FPS in mid to late game

Started by magik20, September 13, 2016, 03:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magik20

One of my really only major complaints about RimWorld is performance during mid to late game.  In fact I hate it so much I tend to create new colonies and usually never finish one.

However I am kinda in love with this particular colony and I'm hoping I can find ways to improve the performance and continue the game.

Here's the layout and the log file
http://imgur.com/a/PzP41

So far Ive done the following (FYI I have a long mod list installed).

- turned off plant sway
- filled in using the dev tool any open rock spaces that I mined (helped a ton)
- fixed any excess home areas that werent needed for things like cleaning or animal pens
- parked all my hauling and cleaning bots
- Set the process affinity to High
- Slowly transitioning to hydroponics and not large farms (ran out of components)
- So far nothing of note inside the log file

I'm looking for any and all suggestions to get the FPS back up as high as possible.

nccvoyager

Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done on the end of us players in terms of performance.

The best I can offer is to ensure that antivirus programs are turned off.  (Some of them can eat a lot of CPU time.)

In addition, I found that setting RimWorld to affinity - true for CPU 0 only, (and setting all other processes to affinity - false for CPU 0,) brought my FPS up a bit.

If I understand discussions on the forums I have seen in the past little while, RimWorld only uses a single core.  (Kind of. Though also, not really.)
As such, a single-core CPU computer running at a high clock speed might, possibly, provide better performance for RimWorld than a newer multi-core CPU running at a higher overall clock speed, but a lower clock speed per core.
This is just speculation on my part, though, from observations I have made of various games.

Even so, I myself only get 20-22 FPS in A15C at the moment.  Time for me to upgrade.  Now I just have to stop spending money on other things like food and car insurance.

Natirs

I've also noticed that there seems to be a minor memory leak as well. I've been watching my memory usage of the game as I've been playing it. Usually for 3+ hours. I tend to also just leave the game running when I go and do something. Over time, it continuously eats up more memory. What needs to be looked at is the fact that you can pause the game, and everything is fine again. You have a small colony? Everything is fine again. Everyone is asleep? Usually perfectly fine. I like big colonies but I tend to just abandon them when they get too large. I really think what this comes down to is optimization for the mid-late game. It shouldn't be about hardware and whatnot as the game works perfectly fine. But once you start adding in more things for it to calculate, the game goes to all hell. That shouldn't be happening. Sure, a higher clock speed could help but it would only help to a certain point.