Immediate Death upon Losing Liver?

Started by MikeLemmer, September 13, 2016, 06:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeLemmer

So in the middle of a firefight, one of my colonists immediately died from a single shot. Looking over his health, I noticed he still had Torso HP but his Liver had been destroyed. Apparently this immediately caused him to die. I know the liver is vital for bodily functions, but this seems a tad... abrupt.

jeffus

ive had that happen too,it would be great if we had a small window of time to save someone that lost an organ that they absolutely needed.if your liver gets shredded you should be able to get dragged to the hospital for a new one and if the surgery fails its a sorta slow painful death on the way to the stove...or grave...but sarcophaguses  take up building time so who needs that

carbon

Yeah. There are only 3 insta-kill organs in the game (liver, heart, brain).

Given that the big two (in terms of hit %) are in the torso, you would be very wise to throw armor vests on all your pawns. Otherwise, taking a sniper rifle round is rolling the dice of death.

It may seem a tad absurd for death by liver shot, but from a gameplay mechanics standpoint, it works reasonably well.

jeffus

thinking about it ive probably had more colonist die by a bullet from some raider (and once by someone behind them) hitting their brain than any other organs being lost,probably because all the other organs have a much bigger health pool

carbon

Hit chances from debug menu:
Heart - 1.5%
Liver - 1.5%
Brain - 0.83%

So yeah, chest armor is a major help, but you take enough rounds and one is going to find the brain eventually. And given that the brain can't heal, that's effectively game over even if it was a small round through modest armor.

Getting shot at is a risk. No matter how good you think you are.

Shurp

I imagine that getting shot in the liver would cause massive blood loss.  Unconsciousness is probably rapid but with proper surgical treatment the colonist ought to be allowed to live.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver_injury

The liver even heals pretty well on its own provided the patient doesn't die first :) 
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

mumblemumble

I really wish blood loss in general was more of a death causer. half the time I see someone get shot up and die for something like "torso damage" and im just confused. In reality, getting your torso, and NO OTHER ORGANS completely evicerated and cut to ribbons wouldn't kill you, but would put you in immense pain, and make you bleed badly. Death would come, but it wouldn't be from torso damage, it would be from bleeding, and stress the body is under.

I wish more deaths were representations of why, aspyxiation, bleed  out, ciirculation failure, internal bleeding, swelling, ect. My grandmother for instance died from blood pressure in her brain crushing it, causing brain damage, and this COULD of been prevented by a hole in the head to relieve the pressure, but was not done intime.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

SpaceDorf

So losing an Arm or Leg become near instant death as well :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

mumblemumble

Not INSTANT death, but very, very troubling....Requiring hospitalization within a few hours or so.

Whats funny, bleeding can actually become a very small issue if very dehydrated, one guy who tried to commit suicide when lost failed, because his body was too dehydrated to bleed out.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

SpaceDorf

*lol* .. yeah limbloss is normaly a matter of minutes, but since guys with bleeding rate of 300% can still live for hours on the rim .. lets not do that ..

MikeLemmer

I'm not even peeved he died from losing his liver. I'm more irritated he didn't live long enough afterwards to return fire. That was a rough fight.

SpaceDorf

Well considering that the Liver is a very large organ dedicated to cleaning your blood and body from poisenous material, aiding your digestion by producing various acids and bases.
It is a chemical plant filled with blood .. you not only bleed out when the liver gets destroyed. You also get poisend and digest yourself from the inside at the same time .. same thing that happens when your stomach or intestines are hit and leak into your body but on a much larger scale.

Instant death sounds reasonable.

Wex

Severing the femoral artery will render you inconscious by bleeding in about 30 seconds. Death prompty follows.
The liver actually has 2 major blood vessels: the portal vein and the haepatic artery.
The sudden "loss" of the liver will cause massive bleeding, almost justifying the "instadeath" of colonists.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Wex on September 14, 2016, 06:47:59 PM
Severing the femoral artery will render you inconscious by bleeding in about 30 seconds. Death prompty follows.
The liver actually has 2 major blood vessels: the portal vein and the haepatic artery.
The sudden "loss" of the liver will cause massive bleeding, almost justifying the "instadeath" of colonists.
thank you :)

jeffus

Quote from: SpaceDorf on September 14, 2016, 06:49:33 PM
Quote from: Wex on September 14, 2016, 06:47:59 PM
thank you :)

To be fair, in terms of ingame, I've actually had a colonist survive being a scratch away from being decapitated while at the same time having both her legs torn off , and her kidney destroyed with multiple "torso" hits.

So quick -but not instant- death seems right for no liver with other non-lethal injuries