Campaigns and Scenarios

Started by starlight, March 18, 2014, 05:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starlight

One of the foundational features of a good game is that it breaks content into tiers and gives the player something to aspire to.

Any standard game like Age of Empires or a brilliant City-Builder like Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom has a progression in that the starting campaigns are easy and gradually get more difficult.

In that content, I would like to propose:
1. A tutorial / campaign system: Tynan only needs to program the modding / creation capabilities into the game, the actual campaign content can be built by the community and the best ones made part of the official game package
So the tutorial would include stuff like:
1. Get X people
2. Build A, Build B

while the campaigns would get custom maps, custom raiders, and specific goals like save X amount of money, etc.

You could have individual scenarios, or a group of them for a campaign.

This is not necessary and is a very different vision from a DF-style game, but will add structure.

keylocke

i really don't like the notion of starting your base again from scratch at the end of each scenario after reaching an arbitrary goal for each scene.

as a counter-proposal, how about adding colony wishlists instead (similar to sims3 wishlists). and each time the colonists complete a positive wish, they get a temporary boost in happiness. while completing negative wishes will get a temporary boost in fear.

sample positive wishes would be : create a new bedroom, reach X number of colonists, survive X number of raids, etc..
sample negative wishes would be : build a new gibbet cage, torture a prisoner, reach X number of prisoners, etc.

this would give temporary goals that the players could aim for (similar to a campaign style setting), without forcing them to start again from scratch after each scenario.

edit : more importantly, wishlists (rather than campaign scenarios) would preserve the sandbox elements of the game.

a89a89

StorymasterQ

Increasing happiness and fear would only add to loyalty, as the latter is the higher value of either of the first two. Maybe the wishlists should tie in directly to loyalty.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

starlight

Quote from: keylocke on March 18, 2014, 04:57:03 PM
i really don't like the notion of starting your base again from scratch at the end of each scenario after reaching an arbitrary goal for each scene.

as a counter-proposal, how about adding colony wishlists instead (similar to sims3 wishlists). and each time the colonists complete a positive wish, they get a temporary boost in happiness. while completing negative wishes will get a temporary boost in fear.

sample positive wishes would be : create a new bedroom, reach X number of colonists, survive X number of raids, etc..
sample negative wishes would be : build a new gibbet cage, torture a prisoner, reach X number of prisoners, etc.

this would give temporary goals that the players could aim for (similar to a campaign style setting), without forcing them to start again from scratch after each scenario.

edit : more importantly, wishlists (rather than campaign scenarios) would preserve the sandbox elements of the game.

Most games that have campaigns / scenarios also have a sandbox mode.
Currently Rimworld has *only* sandbox. I am just saying that adding campaign editors and giving them to the community would create additional content.

I also think the above ideas that you have put in are good.
They can be implemented independent of campaigns or along with them also.

keylocke

Untrustedlife

Isnt the goal to be less scenario based and more dwarf fortressish all about  the story of your colony?
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK