[1.4] Call of Cthulhu - Rim of Madness Expansion Pack (10/21/2022)

Started by jecrell, September 14, 2016, 08:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

Does anyone have any information on the WIP - Blood Cults? I'm quite interested in what that entails.

Also, I still haven't delved too deep into all of these mods, but I thought it would be pretty cool if you could "impregnate" some of your cultist with the spawns of whatever deities/monsters you worship. Anyone ever seen Roman Polanski's Rosemary's Baby? Great movie by the way, it really messed with me. Something like that, perform some crazy ritual on a sacrificial pawn, who then gets progressively sicker or something cool throughout the pregnancy, where you must take care of them, or perform more rituals, anything interesting. Eventually spawning something special or grotesque as a pawn or colony animal or whatever.

MysteriousStranger

https://pastebin.com/DaFaugWP

Getting errors; it says that all of the mods are incompatible with each other or something.

Canute

MysteriousStranger,
delete the old Mod's + jecstools.
Download the newest version and install them.

Then look if these errors still appear.
If yes, please post the error log and/or the link from "Share logs" button at the error window.

Harry_Dicks

Would there be a way to mute the radio/gramophone from us hearing it, but pawns can still enjoy it? I ask because mine my pawns always leave it playing non stop unless I ask them to stop, I just don't like having to always do it because they just turn it right back on. I saw the "Disable Siren Sound" button on Rikiki's MiningCo. Alert Speaker and thought of this.

Canute

Jecrell,
a suggestion to the vampire.
When you milk a prisoner for blood packs or vial. The pack stay at the prisoner area because they count as food.
It is possible to remove them from the food list, but vampire still use them when they in need of vitae ?
Then hauler could haul them out of the prisoner area.

And why does a vampire get bad mood when someone's blood get harvested, when they can feed on them without bad mood.
I can understand when a non-vampire get some bad mood about it.

jecrell

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 09, 2018, 10:34:16 AM
Would there be a way to mute the radio/gramophone from us hearing it, but pawns can still enjoy it? [...]
Sure! I'll add it to my todo list.

Quote from: Canute on January 11, 2018, 05:25:11 PM
It is possible to remove [blood packs/vials] from the food list, but vampire still use them when they in need of vitae ?
And why does a vampire get bad mood when someone's blood get harvested[?]
1) Right, right. How about if I make it so that vials/packs are forbidden after extraction? Or should I make it so that they are considered raw human meat-like? This is a tough problem actually. If I do make some changes in some way, it's bound to cause problems in other ways.
2) I'm not sure how to represent their humanity other than "Is this vampire a psychopath or not?" What do you think I should do to represent vampiric personalities better? Should they ignore all human suffering? When do they ignore human suffering? Etc. Etc.

Also...

Rim of Madness - Vampires - Generations Update
v1.18.1.6 (1/13/18)
-Added bonuses for different generations of vampires
-Vampires below the 7th generation no longer lose 3 blood points per day.
-Vampires can now travel together with animals.
-Added melee skill boost to Potence.
-Added immunity to Cirrhosis for Vampires.
-Adjustment :: Set commonality of vampire bite attacks to 10% in melee combat
-Adjustment :: Blood Shields now block melee damage as well.
-Bug Fix :: Colonies with vampires no longer receive alerts if Vampires aren't dressed properly.
-Bug Fix :: Vampires no longer have issues during eclipses and blood moons.
-Bug Fix :: Vampires can now restore their broken spines when downed.
-Bug Fix :: Vampires should now never receive Sensory Mechanites, Fibrous Mechanites, Muscle Parasites, or Gut Worms.
-Bug Fix :: Vamires no longer experience Slept in Cold / Slept in Heat.
...Psst. Still there? If you'd like to support
me and my works, do check out my Patreon.
Someday, I could work for RimWorld full time!

https://www.patreon.com/jecrell

Canute

Quote from: jecrell on January 13, 2018, 05:49:30 AM
Quote from: Canute on January 11, 2018, 05:25:11 PM
It is possible to remove [blood packs/vials] from the food list, but vampire still use them when they in need of vitae ?
And why does a vampire get bad mood when someone's blood get harvested[?]
1) Right, right. How about if I make it so that vials/packs are forbidden after extraction? Or should I make it so that they are considered raw human meat-like? This is a tough problem actually. If I do make some changes in some way, it's bound to cause problems in other ways.
Both way don't solve the problem that they stay inside the prisoner room's and can't be hauled out. Don't forget any food item inside prisoner room's are reserved for prisoner.
Maybe  move the blood item into medicin/drugs, so they arn't food anymore and can be hauled out.
Add a blood pack option at the vampire Blood feed mode, and when the option is on, they look for a blood pack instead for a prisoner/humanoid/animal to feed.
Currently i need to forbid Blood pacts, or vampire use them for their needs before to use prisoner/animals.

2) I'm not sure how to represent their humanity other than "Is this vampire a psychopath or not?" What do you think I should do to represent vampiric personalities better? Should they ignore all human suffering? When do they ignore human suffering? Etc. Etc.
For a vampire it shouldn't matter if someone got blood harvested. Some like it maybe to drink the blood fresh out of the victim, other like a comfortable way and relax at the armchair while drinking the blood pack out of some good crystal glass.
Similar to human who like their beer fresh out of the barrel other prefer bottles.

jecrell

Quote from: Canute on January 13, 2018, 06:05:57 AM
Both ways don't solve the problem that they stay inside the prisoners' rooms and can't be hauled out. Don't forget that any food item inside prisoner room are reserved for prisoners.
Maybe  move the blood item into medicin/drugs, so they arn't food anymore and can be hauled out.
Alrighty. I'll make a note on the GitHub issues page for Vampires. I can try to move it to the medicine/drugs category and I'll see what happens.

Add a blood pack option at the vampire Blood feed mode, and when the option is on, they look for a blood pack instead for a prisoner/humanoid/animal to feed. Currently, I need to forbid blood packs, or vampires use them for their needs before they use prisoner/animals.
I see, well I can add a toggle for "prioritize blood packs" on the Vampire's needs menu. How about that?

For a vampire it shouldn't matter if someone got blood harvested. Some like it maybe to drink the blood fresh out of the victim, other like a comfortable way and relax at the armchair while drinking the blood pack out of some good crystal glass.
Similar to human who like their beer fresh out of the barrel other prefer bottles.
Fair enough~~

Harry_Dicks

Jecrell again, you never fail to impress! I personally think you should have varied vampire's personalities, if at all possible, on their thoughts on blood and many other things. For example, maybe you have a more "refined, civilized" vampire, who doesn't think you should feed on humans, or it should be kept private only (similar to Dubs Bad Hygeine, pawns react differently to using the bathroom in private or in front of someone.) You could also have a more "savage, young punk" style guy, who might be a psychopath and doesn't give a damn what happened. I love variety, and I think the more, the better! You could maybe even have a "gradient" of how civilized or uncivilized they are, with appropriate incremental buffs and debuffs at both ends of the spectrum. Maybe the more civilized the vampire gets, the higher his social skill, or more chance to recruit prisoner, certain skills are buffed, they can research faster, and other colonists can get along with them easier. But he also gets physically weaker, maybe a melee dps drop, or physical skills (like mining, construction) take longer. The uncivilized vampire could maybe have no malices from wherever blood is taken by whoever, maybe his vitae drops slower, his melee skills could increase. But the uncivilized vampire could have poor ranged weapon skills, bad at medical tending/operations, terrible social malus, is much more likely to have a mental break, etc.

Also, maybe other factions start to like you less if you have too many uncivilized vampires, they won't do business with you, or eventually try to start hunting you down. I'm not sure if you have that as an event or not in RoM, but I think it's a neat idea if you have a vampire or werewolf, and the Agency or whomever it was sends a party to "investigate" and they might come check out your base. But if they see a vampire, they could start fighting from the inside of your base, actually make people have something other than killboxes. Or maybe, they only have a chance to detect the vampire. The more uncivilized he is, the more likely they are to detect he is a vampire and start firing, once they are close to him and have conversations. If they see a vampire feeding they instantly go hostile.

In case you haven't noticed, I like to ramble on about my fantasy ideas for mods ;)

Lastly, any clues on the benefits for different generations of vampires, or should I keep it as a surprise? ;D

EDIT: The most recent download link for Vampires from your Patreon does not have a base folder when you go to extract the files. Also, is it possible to just have the files in the same folder as the last Vampires, as long as I just remove everything? The reason I ask, is because I like when mod authors such as yourself have the mod version number in the rar/zip file name, but not so much the base folder that will go into your Mods folder. Because if it is a different folder name, that means you have to always start RimWorld, turn off old mod and put new one in, then restart. Unless you know how to add the mod to your ModsConfig file, but I know not everyone is going to be that keen on this stuff. But some mod authors will just use the same name for the base folder of their mod. This makes it even easier for us, the users, to swap the new updated files in and out. Like Dubwise, when he updates Rimatomics, the rar file will have the mod version number in it, but the base folder will always be just "Rimatomics." So you just delete the old one, and put in the new folder. This way when you start RimWorld, you don't need to turn off old mod, remember the spot it's in (easy with ModSwitch but not everyone has it,) then activate new mod, put it back into the same slot as before, and then restart RimWorld. I'm not trying to tell you how you should release your mods or anything like that, and I am VERY grateful for all of the awesome stuff you put out, but this is just my suggestion as an end user how I think you can make things just a little easier for us! But I know you are a smart man, and you probably have some reason for doing things the way you do ;)

jecrell

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 13, 2018, 07:05:53 AM
Jecrell again, you never fail to impress!
Well, firstly, thank you, my good man, for taking the time to create some feedback for me. I'll endeavor to continue to work hard to make quality content.

I personally think you should have varied vampire's personalities, if at all possible, on their thoughts on blood and many other things. [...]
I think we are in agreement. It will have to be something I implement at a later time. Feel free to design and speculate on systems until I get around to it. Currently, the community has prioritized Blood Cults, so I'll do my best to push for that to be completed as soon as possible.

[...] I think it's a neat idea if you have a vampire or werewolf, and the Agency (or whomever it was) send a party to "investigate" [...] but if they see a vampire, they could start fighting from the inside of your base [...].
You mean the Hellsing branch of the Agency? *wicked smile*

Lastly, any clues on the benefits for different generations of vampires, or should I keep it as a surprise? ;D
Simply put, senses, vigor, and damage soaked are increased with lower generations. The lowest generation possible (which is debug mode only) is quite insane.

The most recent download link for Vampires from your Patreon does not have a base folder when you go to extract the files.
Ah. Not intended. I'll see what I can do about that. I'm trying a new "mod release system".

wwWraith

Quote from: jecrell on January 13, 2018, 06:39:00 AM
Add a blood pack option at the vampire Blood feed mode, and when the option is on, they look for a blood pack instead for a prisoner/humanoid/animal to feed. Currently, I need to forbid blood packs, or vampires use them for their needs before they use prisoner/animals.
I see, well I can add a toggle for "prioritize blood packs" on the Vampire's needs menu. How about that?

Is it possible to make a list of feeding options with checkboxes instead of chosing only one? Something like

[x] Colonists
[v] Prisoners
[x] Neutrals
[v] Colony animals
[v] Neutral animals
[x] Blood packs

[x] Allow feeding until death
[x] Prioritize blood packs

Also I'd suggest that vampires should choose the healthiest victim when they want to feed. Now after raids they often go to feed on just captured prisoners who are already suffering from other wounds, and additional blood loss often kills them.

About personalities and other things related with morale: this realization is mostly inspired by World of Darkness - a setting for various games including pen&paper and "Vampire: the Masquerade" serie (consisting of "VtM: Redemption" and "VtM: Bloodlines") on PC. You should read its rules if you are interested. The things you are speaking about are mostly covered by its Humanity system. But implementing it would be an overhaul of existing RimWorld system comparable with something like Psychology and even more complicated because it would require patches for many modded traits and thoughts. Thus I think it's better to pretend that all vampires have an equal Humanity level with exceptions regulated by traits like Psychopath, as it is with common humans. However there are some things that are ok for vampires while "prohibited" for humans, blood harvesting can be a good example. I think, looking for such differences between vampires and humans will be more productive.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: jecrell on January 13, 2018, 07:52:12 AM
I think we are in agreement. It will have to be something I implement at a later time. Feel free to design and speculate on systems until I get around to it. Currently, the community has prioritized Blood Cults, so I'll do my best to push for that to be completed as soon as possible.
Could you please give some hints as to what Blood Cults entail? Man I just know already it's going to be flippin' awesome!

You mean the Hellsing branch of the Agency? *wicked smile*
Wait, so you already have something similar to this? I haven't progressed at all into RoM, just been busy building my mod list, but your team's content is one of the ones I look most forward to.

Simply put, senses, vigor, and damage soaked are increased with lower generations. The lowest generation possible (which is debug mode only) is quite insane.
What do you think about an end game ritual, where you can birth a first generation vampire, starting a new blood line? It could take a lot time with all kinds of other cool & interesting mechanics. Maybe the last quadrum while you are "creating" this new blood line, it will be hell for you with lots of attacks from other vampires and monstrosities.

Ah. Not intended. I'll see what I can do about that. I'm trying a new "mod release system".
Is the new system what you've been doing recently, where you have the links on Patreon?

Also, my very last thing, I promise! At least for this post! ::) Do you think in the future, we can have some more insignificant items that are just there for aesthetic? Nothing really big or too crazy, just like a beauty object or something. Hang some crazy looking goat head from the walls (I'd actually really like a lot more stuff to hang on walls from any mods, really,) some cool cosmic monster painting, or something awesome that I know you can think of. Also, maybe some kinda statue or taxidermy of more monsters/deities that we can have around the base. What about a small little personal alter that pawns can have in their room (just one or two cells, with some candles and little desk things on them relating to RoM,) effigies (an effigy mod just came out but I think you could expand on that greatly) or corpses on spikes? The corpses could deteriorate at a normal corpse rate, or even freeze if it is cold enough. They could give a combat penalty to raiders who see them, but not your guys (the effigy mod has something like this, but it is only for mood I think.) It would look really awesome I think, and make it so raiders might think twice about attacking you, or at least be very shaken by the time they get to you, after seeing a dozen of their old mates posted up on spikes outside of your base. I can't really think of too much more stuff off the top of my head, but personally, I think it would just go great with RoM to have a few more cool little things like these. You know, more dungeony and cultist kinda stuff!

Okay last idea ;D What do you think about a sort of monster you can summon from cults, but you must keep him chained up in a "dungeon" or something, and feed him a pawn or prisoner maybe once every 2-4 weeks. If your monster doesn't get fed, he progressively gets angrier and angrier, eventually wrecking havoc. Also you could require your god you worship to be pleased with you, otherwise he turns his creation against you. You could use this monster to your advantage though against raiders. Many chances for things to go wrong with him, at home and on the battlefield. Maybe eventually you could have it that this is the monster you worship?

I posted the other day about how I was watching the second half of Conan the Barbarian. In case you haven't seen it, there is a snake worshiping cult in the movie (classic Arnold Schwarzenegger movie by the way) and they have a giant snake they keep deep within their compound. Honestly I can't remember if they worship the giant snake or not, but snakes are definitely their theme. So maybe you could have a sort of "snake" cult, and their deity is a snake monster. But after enough praising and sermons and such, this snake god will allow a "lesser form" of themselves (or their spawn, creation, or whatever) to be at your command, as long as you can keep your god and the monster happy.

Alright, that's enough bombardment of ideas for now. Don't fret though, I know I'll have another wall of ideas for you by next time! ;D

wwWraith

One more suggestion that I forgot: vampiric healing shouldn't heal burns :)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Canute

Jecrell,
at first i though you wanted to add a version check for your mods if the right version of Jecstools is installed.
I got plenty of damage soak error and just though lets take a look at jecstool.
And after an update the errors was gone.

About the feeding,
i would like to see a feeding selection like wwWraith mention.
Just put something at the skill page, not to forget a button to aply these setting for all vampire at the colony.
This would need more display room, but is easyer to read then the icon and the tooltips for the current system.

The Monstrosity you can create with the spell.
Don't you think this should be trainable at some way? With 100% wildness it is impossible to train anything to it.
You just can move them with zone assignment. Maybe automatical Obedience training on creating. Then you can assign it to follow the master at combat and fieldwork.

QuoteOne more suggestion that I forgot: vampiric healing shouldn't heal burns :)
I don't see the point why burn damage shouldn't be healed.
I only could see a reason for silver,garlic or holy water, depend on the background of the vampire.
But ok, until some other damage types against vampire are added, the very strong vampire could have a backdraw and can't heal burn damage.

wwWraith

Quote from: Canute on January 13, 2018, 09:51:12 AM
QuoteOne more suggestion that I forgot: vampiric healing shouldn't heal burns :)
I don't see the point why burn damage shouldn't be healed.
I only could see a reason for silver,garlic or holy water, depend on the background of the vampire.
But ok, until some other damage types against vampire are added, the very strong vampire could have a backdraw and can't heal burn damage.

In WoD setting, silver/garlic/holywater have no real effect on vampires, but fire (and sunlight, of course) deals them "aggravated" damage that can't be healed by "normal" blood healing.