Minor [0.15.1284] Automated turrets fail to assist 'hunted' colonist

Started by KnockTwice, September 15, 2016, 09:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnockTwice

Circumstances:  One colonist left the compound to cut a tree.  As I was monitoring this colonist, I noticed he was being hunted by a Timber Wolf.  I drafted him and sent him back inside the walls, successfully.  Since I knew there were defensive turrets just inside the walls, I set the door to be left open so that the Timber Wolf would be shredded by the turrets.  This did not happen.

What happened: The turrets did not open fire.  The colonist attempted to kill the Timber Wolf with his charge rifle (in the hopes that open combat would then trigger the turrets).  The turrets never fired.

What I expected to happen: since the colonist was being actively pursued/hunted/attacked by the wolf, I expected the automated turrets (yes they had power, yes they were within range as proven by earlier raids) to come to his aid.

It seems like you could test this with a reasonable setup of the conditions: set up a defense turret perimeter.  Set up a colonist outside of the perimeter with some task (cutting a tree?), then set a predator on the colonist.

I have saved the game after the attack, but I doubt that will help.

I included a screenshot as a sort of proof -- it shows that the colonist and wolf were well within the range of the turrets at least.

If you want the savegame, email me.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

KnockTwice

--EDIT--
One of the five turrets was set to 'hold fire', but the nearest ones were not.

Calahan

This is WAD. Since A14, it is by design that turrets no longer target hunting animals. Here is a comment regarding this from Tynan (on Reddit).

"Hunting animals would never be any danger if turrets just wasted them the moment they got in their heads any thought to hunt a colonist.

So it's a bit weird, but this is by design. Any other design either turns hunting animals into free no-risk meat sources, or requires a whole bunch of additional animal AI to make them willing to walk past turrets but never to hunt near them."
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/4eaua5/turrets_dont_react_to_hungry_animals/d1z0jkv

I will close this thread now as this is not a bug. If you wish to discuss a change to how turrets behave so that they target animals again, then please start a new thread in the suggestions forum. Thank you for taking the time to report this all the same.