[A15c] Exploit: Doors to nowhere are perfect insulators

Started by Zhentar, September 11, 2016, 12:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhentar

Heat does not conduct through through doors; instead, heat passes through doors by "mixing" the temperature between the rooms connected by the door. But if the door does not connect to any other rooms... then there is no heat exchange. Thus, a double "wall" where the inner layer of the wall is made out of doors is a perfect insulator. Combined with the new alpha 15 deep equalization behavior, this makes it possible (among other things) to create a sealed off "deep freezer" which maintains a constant temperature with no power requirement.

See the attached screenshot for an example chamber.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

ItchyFlea

Unable to reproduce. Can you please provide a saved game with that room? You'll need to zip it up for it to fit on the forums.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Zhentar

Sure, here it is.

Panzer

Cant reproduce either, not to that degree at least, always get at least some level of temperature equalization. Did you devmode that room? Rooms placed with devmode do sometimes not behave correctly.
That being said, rooms with doors inside insulate incredibly well, double walls dont even come near that level of insulation.

Arnold Rimmer

This is so weird...
Like... I build a 50 block thick hardened steel wall and call that "an exploit to be safe from every enemy ever" ;)

In my view, a valid exploit is easy to create and has no real impact on the game, quality of life-wise.
But building doors all over the place, even though it -may- work, just seems completely silly.
Not to mention that wandering colonists WILL make you crazy with all the door open/close sounds ;)
[Insert combination of words here]

Zhentar

Quote from: Panzer on September 13, 2016, 03:36:42 AM
Cant reproduce either, not to that degree at least, always get at least some level of temperature equalization. Did you devmode that room? Rooms placed with devmode do sometimes not behave correctly.
That being said, rooms with doors inside insulate incredibly well, double walls dont even come near that level of insulation.

Yeah, it was built in devmode, but from everything I could see the rooms were built correctly (I was paying attention to that since I did run into glitchy rooms during some of my earlier tests). I will note that the door-rooms have to be "primed" so you'll get some equalization to start with, but after a little while it settles into a steady state with no further equalization.

Arnold Rimmer

Seriously?  ::)
Why do you bother the busy developers with stuff you do in developermode and
then even report that as an exploit?
That's like switching godmode on and then complain about the enemies dying too fast, i'll say.
[Insert combination of words here]

CannibarRechter

I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone to think that devmode adding assets to the game would change their thermal properties. That's unexpected.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Zhentar

What do you think Dev Mode is for? It exists for the purpose of quickly creating scenarios in order to test the game code. And that is what I was using it for.

Zhentar

Here's a reproduction with a pawn built room, chilled with coolers. You can see I've turned off the coolers and the outer chamber has warmed up, but the sealed off door freezer is sitting at a fixed temperature.

ItchyFlea

All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created