Collaboration with Insectoids

Started by 8roads, September 16, 2016, 10:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8roads

Friends, i have sinned.
i use insectoids to murder my allies.

I heard of this strategy before. Routing exit through infested area. i didn't know that's so damn efficient.
// at first i was anxious to contain them but turns out there's no need.
it's a small hill, not enough room for new hive to spawn.
i guess it has something to do with the latest change:  "Infestation can now only spawn under a thick roof."[edit: i was wrong! what a fool i was]//

Now it's been weeks since infestation happened, and no raider came.
friends keep coming instead, eager to help me with my pest problem.
none of them succeeded, for which i am happy.
they don't understand. bugs and i live in perfect harmony. ( except the time i tried to steal their jelly and caught redhanded )
every now and then, hungry megaspiders visit my kitchen, munching on my kibble prepared for my terrier, with my chef cooking right beside them.

I always try my best to save wounded pest control guys.
this makes allies trust me even more, and the summoning of caravans even cheaper.
then the first caravan came.
the only path to my colony went through the infested cave.
it's midnight. all the bugs were sleeping.
traders treaded carefully.
safety was never far away.
until my colonist shot one of the bug.
and what a bloodbath.

before dawn, my colonists ventured into the cave and carried away the goods as bugs slept.
bugs don't need TV nor hospital beds, do they?
i left them the cadavers though, as a symbol of good will.
they'll develop a fondness for human flesh soon enough.

Am i a terrible person? am i playing with fire? am i exploiting otherwise perfectly sound game mechanism?
of course i am.
but before the coming of the day of reckoning, i won't stop.
and i will build a versaille
to commemorate the sacrifice of my Faithful Allies,
and to speak up for those Feared and Misunderstood Creatures who can not speak for themselves:

"Come into our home, daughters of Earth; dwell in our tunnels, harvest our fields; what we cannot do, you are now our hands to do for us. Blossom, trees; ripen, fields; be warm for them, suns; be fertile for them, planets: they are our adopted daughters, and they have come home."

[some observations]

1. bugs are good manhunters, but they fight pack animals with the utmost reluctance.

2. raiders decimated my bugs [easily]. built a heat trap to deal with the raiders (that's firefoam on the ground).

3. Bugs only attack humans and tamed animals that come too near their hive. They don't wander far. If they are really hungry, and there's no food near the hive, they'll temporarily leave the infested area, go straight to the nearest meal, consume it, hastily dash back home.
If their hive is destroyed, they'll roam about aimlessly, attack anyone they run across. But they don't pursue those who flee.

4. Bugs don't dig at doors, nor do they attack them unless they have to.
Use doors to control where they spawn and where they go. Walls of doors make bugs infinitely more useful and infinitely less dangerous.

shaw357

Noice

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

billycop32

congratulations, you have become a truly demented rim world overlord

welcome brother

Shinzy

8roads

i'll let you know if my colonists survive my demented experiment XD

SilentP

+1 internets for you sir.  I doff my cap to you.

Endoric

Seems like an excellent way to kill readers as well

8roads

raiders decimated my bugs.
built a heat trap to deal with the raiders (that's firefoam on the ground)
problem solved~~

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Serenity

every now and then, hungry megaspiders visit my kitchen, munching on my kibble prepared for my terrier, with my chef cooking right beside them.
How does that work? I thought they become aggressive towards anyone they see

8roads

Quote from: Serenity on October 08, 2016, 11:27:20 AM
How does that work? I thought they become aggressive towards anyone they see

Bugs only attack humans and tamed animals that come too near their hive. They don't wander far. If they are really hungry, and there's no food near the hive, they'll temporarily leave the infested area, go straight to the nearest meal, consume it, hastily dash back home. They don't interact with other creatures in the process.

If their hive is destroyed, they'll roam about aimlessly, attack anyone they run across. But they don't pursue those who flee.

Make sure you respect their territory, protect their hives from cold snap, and prevent unnecessary reproduction, bugs will serve you well.

Canute

You should try the infestion/hive mod that made the bugs a bit more dangerous.
I left the bugs alone for a while, they mined the hill down with the ore, but ended along with 27 hives and so many bugs that Rimworld slows down dramatical.
Even after a few days of shooting with sniper rifles, i barley got enough killed, and then comes a raid, (from the wrong side) and the bugs reproduce them again.
The only way i got, i gave them some molotov presents and burned down the corpses i made before, the fire spread over all hives.

8roads

Quote from: Canute on October 09, 2016, 03:42:10 AM
You should try the infestion/hive mod that made the bugs a bit more dangerous.
I left the bugs alone for a while, they mined the hill down with the ore, but ended along with 27 hives and so many bugs that Rimworld slows down dramatical.
Even after a few days of shooting with sniper rifles, i barley got enough killed, and then comes a raid, (from the wrong side) and the bugs reproduce them again.
The only way i got, i gave them some molotov presents and burned down the corpses i made before, the fire spread over all hives.

How dangerous? I think a bit more aggression will help. bugs are good manhunters, but they fight pack animals with the utmost reluctance.

and maybe next time you can try incendiary launcher.

mumblemumble

can't help but think of halflife 2 antloins when I think of this...
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.