Scar Rework [Small]

Started by O Negative, September 16, 2016, 09:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Negative

While I have a great appreciation for RimWorld's medical and injury system, I think we can all agree that it has its flaws.

One thing which has always bothered me is the pain scars cause to their victims. The decrease in functionality of the scarred body part is perfectly acceptable, for realism and gameplay reasons. However, the idea that all scars cause noticeable pain is just beyond me. Mostly because of how much the pain effects my colonists' moods.

For instance, I have a scar along the majority of my left forearm, caused by a second degree burn I received years ago. It didnt hurt after it healed and it doesn't hurt now, though. Am I just weird? What are your guys' thoughts on this?

My thought is to just remove the pain component from "scar" damage by setting the pain-per-damage (if that's what it is still called) to zero, which I'm certain is incredibly easy to mod in. But, I see no reason as to why this can't just be Vanilla.

Serenity

Agreed. Maybe big scars could cause pain. Like when your torso is shredded by a minigun. But not small ones.

chaotix14

The scars I have don't hurt as well, I mean I don't have any particularly large scars, but I have plenty of scars to go around. So yeah, having scars hurt as much as they do currently makes no sense to me. You could even have a bullet lodged inside of you and it wouldn't necessarily hurt or be noticeable at all.

Personally I would also love to see scars like slowly fading over time(like 1 point of damage per year), to mimic real life a bit more while not disrupting the game flow too much.

Wex

I was involved in a motorbike to car crash (I was on the bike), I have a TON of scars on my lower body. None of them hurts, ever.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

O Negative

Just to demonstrate how easy this was to implement, I went ahead and made the mod. I didn't bother checking to see if someone else had already done it, so if they did, woops (I guess?)

Here's the download button: Scar Rework (Small)
It even works with current saves :D

Anyways, it doesn't remove pain from all old injuries. Here's a comprehensive list:

No Pain:

• burn scar
  • cut scar
  • surgical cut (cut scar)
  • scratch scar
  • bite scar
  • stab scar

Pain was removed from these old/scar injury types due to the fact that the likelihood of permanent nerve damage caused by them is fairly low. I was hesitant to put burn scars on this side, simply due to the fact that nerve damage is actually very likely at higher degrees of burns. However, it feels like the loss in function of the affected area is enough, in terms of gameplay, for burns.

Pain Remains:

• "sunken-scar" - (renamed for crush damage; from "scar")
  • "shrapnel-scar" - (renamed for shredded damage; from "scar")
  • crack
  • old gunshot/permanent gunshot injury
  • bruise
  • frostbite

Pain was not removed from these old/scar injury types due to the fact that nerve damage is actually pretty likely to occur in these cases, in one way or another. Bruises, not so much. They're only on this list because the code says they have "old damage", but they don't really stick around. I just didn't mess with them, because bruises are supposed to hurt for as long as you have them :P

Feel free to adjust things to your pleasure. The coding really isn't difficult in this case, even for a beginner.

For me, this is a good quality-of-life change. I'm no longer as likely to turn someone away due to their scars, even though I can't fix them.

Still, see no reason as to why this can't be vanilla :P