Full cyborg

Started by Wex, September 17, 2016, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wex

Ok. Right now we have our bionic implants, that replace missing limbs.
We technically are still missing bionic organs, but that's not the point of this suggestion.
What am I suggesting is a FULL BIONIC body, that should well be into the range of 5500's technology.
Brain enchased in a armored "brain box", a nutrient extractor for feeding such brain and a good armor overall.
It should be VERY costly and require some serious doctor (skill 16 as a minimum) to make the conversion from biological to bionic.
What do you think?
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Draegon

Cool idea, maybe they could add a bionic exoskeleton as a new thing as well.

Morze

Prostophobes nightmare. Maybe add permanent mood debuff to others as well?

SpaceDorf

And a Prostophiles wet dream. And I don't think that others than a prostophobe should be rebuffed by that, although prostophobes should get a mood debuff by seeing someone like that ).
I think prosto-phobes and -philes allready insult each other over that, I think the debuff is quite nicely parked there.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Wex

A prostohobe would simply go crazy.
We are talking about full body conversion here.
Hell, even a not prostophile would have maluses, for adapting to his new body.
A newly converted cyborg would be a little unstable. Until he adapts.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

sadpickle

Quote from: SpaceDorf on September 19, 2016, 02:12:24 PM
And a Prostophiles wet dream. And I don't think that others than a prostophobe should be rebuffed by that, although prostophobes should get a mood debuff by seeing someone like that ).
I think prosto-phobes and -philes allready insult each other over that, I think the debuff is quite nicely parked there.
I'm not so sure full body replacement = a bionic prosthetic à la RimWorld, in the mind of a prostophile or other. There is so MUCH human experience, particularly sensory experience, tied into being an organic creature. You grow. You can bleed. You can get sick, you can get better. You have to eat, you have to excrete, most people would say they need to procreate too, if not in a strictly pragmatic sense. You age and change and acquire skills with this miraculous tool, the body. Not having an organic body, i think, means giving up all of this, in one form or another (and learning to use a new one). I must give credit to the 2014 Robocop (which really has little to do with the excellent 80's film Robocop) for exploring what it means to be alive and lose your physical body (scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXOhIJg4B7k not for the squeamish?). Even if it turns you into a superhuman, it's not something anyone, even the cybernetically inclined, would deal with lightly. I'd love some neurological upgrades, maybe a spinal replacement that never hurts like the real one. But I wouldn't want to give up touch, or food. Not even to live forever.

Morze

There could be different models. A baseline model, that is clunky and inhibits your senses, maybe a built in joywire to keep you not going mad? A more expensive and weaker model, that mimics bionic body in appereance and feeling and weren't so extreme experience to the user, just a smaller upgrade in capability at smaller loss in humanity. And then there is the full military model, that turns the user into a complete psycho and you better keep "it" in a stasis pod and only take it out to deal with raids etc.

Wex

Wait.
I didn't think it needed specification.
Bionic limbs exist TODAY. I guess a quick search will find you more than something.
The full cyborg body I had in mind was completely biomimetic.
Touch, taste, smell, all except procreation, is still there.
You are also faster, stronger and more resillient.
    Harlan Ellison