[Mod Idea] Stockpile hauling/restacking.

Started by DoomAngelBlade, September 17, 2016, 03:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoomAngelBlade

There is a problem with a stockpile - if there are 20 space taken by 20 bricks(1 brick in 1 tile) - noone restacks it/groups them together.

And here is a thing I would love to see. Stockpile "Move to"

For example: I have a 10x10 room for cooking food. It has 2 ovens  and 2 butcher tables.

The cooking room is near the dinner room so when meals are prepared by cooks - they put it in the 10x10 storage. But I don't want them to go to that storage room as it takes time to get the meal from it - So I put another storage of meals right at the dinner room - I isolated it and it is a 1x5 room for meals and I marked it as important one and the cooks started to haul 1(!!!!) fine meal each time they cook it to that room. I want them to haul stuffs only when the storage tile is full itself. Like when there will be 10 food - haul them, but don't haul 1-9 food from there.

mabor0shi

That first
Quote from: DoomAngelBlade on September 17, 2016, 03:38:56 PM
There is a problem with a stockpile - if there are 20 space taken by 20 bricks(1 brick in 1 tile) - noone restacks it/groups them together.
The weird thing is they often will prefer hauling 'Item A' to a tile that already has some 'Item A' in it. Just not consistently. Seems completely arbitrary. Somebody smart, plz figure out how to make that preference stronger!
And here is a thing I would love to see. Stockpile "Move to"

For example: I have a 10x10 room for cooking food. It has 2 ovens  and 2 butcher tables.

The cooking room is near the dinner room so when meals are prepared by cooks - they put it in the 10x10 storage. But I don't want them to go to that storage room as it takes time to get the meal from it - So I put another storage of meals right at the dinner room - I isolated it and it is a 1x5 room for meals and I marked it as important one and the cooks started to haul 1(!!!!) fine meal each time they cook it to that room. I want them to haul stuffs only when the storage tile is full itself. Like when there will be 10 food - haul them, but don't haul 1-9 food from there.
Kinda like the Crafting Hysteresis mod, but for hauling! Vanilla: U hav to leave both zones at equal priorities, watch the temporary stack of items until it fills, then lower the priority of the zone that the stack is on and prioritize hauling it. Mod would be: adds a new property for zones, "clear when filled" or "haul when full". Would eliminate the need to keep an eye on your crafters' temp storage.
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Serenity

This could go into both directions. Emptying a zone when it reached a certain limit is useful for cooking and some other crafting jobs. But there are also uses for always keeping a zone stocked with a certain amount of materials, but only filling it when the stock is under a certain threshold.

Both could be used for cooking in fact. One for ingredients and one for the cooked meals.

mabor0shi

Quote from: Serenity on September 21, 2016, 08:42:55 PM
...there are also uses for always keeping a zone stocked with a certain amount of materials, but only filling it when the stock is under a certain threshold...
You right. Plus, "haul to zone" is harder to achieve with vanilla work arounds than "haul from zone". Really, Serenity's 'haul to zone' idea for the 'hauling hysteresis' problem is the more useful part of this mod. Aside from whatever fix for 'stoopid stacking' issue
edit: How about we add to this mod a total "max stockpile zone capacity: _" property.. or maybe this goes too far??
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Serenity

If this is done per item type or total is an issue. Total zone capacity would work fine for those 1 or 2 square zones at workstations. It's also far easier from a UI perspective.

For other things you'd want it per item type. For example only stocking a trade beacon zone with X silver and putting the rest somewhere else. Maybe a niche case. Long term you'd just put a trade beacon in your overflow vault, but at the beginning I usually don't have one and just do a stockpile in some random place outside.

Facepunch

Idk about the second half, but seriously the first half tho...
Really curious as to why the pawns behave like they do when they're stocking zones. Need to test first, but off the top of my head, maybe they don't like dealing with full stacks, so if what they're carrying makes a stack more than full they treat it like a new stack. Maybe. Perhaps the almighty Tynan can explain

mabor0shi

Quote from: Serenity on September 22, 2016, 06:22:38 AM
If this is done per item type or total is an issue. Total zone capacity would work fine for those 1 or 2 square zones at workstations. It's also far easier from a UI perspective.
For other things you'd want it per item type. For example only stocking a trade beacon zone with X silver and putting the rest somewhere else.
As far as UI goes: "total zone capacity" could be a simple slider underneath "quality" & "hit points" in stockpile zone settings, right? But for number of items per type, you would hav to add a box beside the X// to enter a number in? Do you think that's the best ways?

Serenity

Quote from: mabor0shi on September 22, 2016, 07:18:22 PM
But for number of items per type, you would hav to add a box beside the X// to enter a number in? Do you think that's the best ways?
Yeah, probably.

But now combine this with other ideas here. You'd first need to add some selection:
1.) Simple zone limit
2.) Delay emptying until X
3.) Keep filled until X with hysteresis

1 and 2 can be done with one number to enter. 3 needs two numbers. Theoretically they could all be combined, but it could be a bit messy.

That said, I have no idea how difficult any of that would be to implement. Just an upper limit to the zone doesn't seem to be too hard to do (famous last words). But the hauling stuff by numbers seems to be a lot more complicated, as it has a greater effect on how pawns interact with the zone.

mabor0shi

On a related topic, (likely it's been said before) I been wishing there was a "priorities" setting for Bills and Growing Zones. Or for Growing Zones : "Allow Harvesting" next to "Allow Sowing" , if that's easier to do. Sick of people cutting oak trees when there's potato work to be done, but if I disallow sowing, they still cut the trees, then i forget to reset "allow sowing" :( If I start learning how to code now, I cud have all this done in under 14 years.