Make doctoring bionic parts require the crafting skill

Started by sadpickle, September 17, 2016, 09:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sadpickle

Not sure if it's possible, but, if a pawn with a bionic implant needs medical attention, it would be interesting if this required crafting (or perhaps construction?) skill, to reflect the mechanical nature of augmentations. If they're wholesale limb replacements they're probably going to need servicing anyway, could be an entire sub-industry, but I wonder if the medical code can even differ between bionic and organic limbs? Expertise welcome.

Lightzy

Yeah lets make everything in the game require the crafting skill :/

O Negative

There's a mod that allows you to make simple, bionic and advanced prosthesis via the crafting skill. Check it out, man :)

I do think that prosthetics should require "treatment" as a sort of maintenance every so often, though.

nccvoyager

If I understand correctly, the suggestion is that bionic limbs (when damaged during combat) should require crafting skill to repair instead of doctoring skill to, well, bandage.

At the moment:
Doctor: "Oh yes, I see there's a gunshot through your bionic arm!  Let's bandage that up, and it will heal good as new!"

Wex

I see a nice and warm spot for the research skill.
It should be sciency.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

sadpickle

Quote from: nccvoyager on September 19, 2016, 05:50:28 PM
If I understand correctly, the suggestion is that bionic limbs (when damaged during combat) should require crafting skill to repair instead of doctoring skill to, well, bandage.
That is correct.

I like the idea of research over crafting, honestly. It SHOULD be sciency; also unless I'm mistaken, research is the only skill with a shelf life. Once you exhaust the tech tree, what is there in vanilla?

QuoteThere's a mod that allows you to make simple, bionic and advanced prosthesis via the crafting skill. Check it out, man :)
EPOE is practically an essential mod for me.

nccvoyager

The only other thing I don't really understand is, when a doctor "fails" at installing a simple prosthetic or bionic limb, why is the limb just "gone" after?
If it's a major failure, I can understand.  He sawed the bionic limb in half while attempting to install it.
But, a minor failure?
What, a scratch on the surface of this bionic limb is going to permanently stop it from functioning?
We are talking about the same bionic limb that, while being made from metal, manages to heal over time right?

Edit: Welcome to RimWorld!
(YouTube video; Explosm Entertainment; Cyanide and Happiness; "The Prothetic")