[A17] Jamestec's Mods (export bills/stockpiles, replace walls, make bionics)

Started by Jamestec, September 17, 2016, 11:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaptain_kavern

Please guys, look at Jamestec's license note, look since how he releasing mods (mostly requests), think about it a bit ... and come again calling him thief...

For your information : all of us modders are doing is using code that is property of Ludeon's, so you don't own your mods and even less ideas about game-mechanics. Plus it is not because two people had the same idea that it is stealing (there was older mods that were doing this also and it's often requested as a feature). Plus it can be nice to have two mods that doing the same things in a slightly different way (you said yourself the code was different)

I doesn't wanted to be hostile either, I adding this to the conversation because it already happened to me aswell and there was no "stealing" at all.

Hope we can all be civilized and keep this community as friendly as usual.

Best regards

erdelf

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on October 14, 2016, 08:30:27 PM
so you don't own your mods and even less ideas about game-mechanics.
I very much own my code and my ideas. What I don't own is tynan's code.

Plus it is not because two people had the same idea that it is stealing.
It is not about it beeing the same idea..
it is that this is the third time he makes a mod only shortly after they get mentioned in the discord,
without ever contributing in any form.

Plus it can be nice to have two mods that doing the same things in a slightly different way (you said yourself the code was different)
yes, my code is clean and doesn't detour the whole original blueprint checker and is therefore compatible with other mods.
He just shat out some detour code.

DarkSlayerEX

When I do something, I try to do it in a way that allows -as many people as possible- to be able to use it with as little compatibility issues as possible...

His method could potentially break the game should someone else's mod also try to detour the same thing. But that isn't exactly why we said anything...

His timing with releasing his mods, with the timing in which we had discussed it on discord made it seem very likely he was making mods based off of our fleshed out ideas. That's why I showed such concern. If he had actually worked on them without having seen our discussions, then that is a very huge coincidence, and I apologize if so, but, if you think about it, if multiple mod topics you were to discuss are all of a sudden released within a day or two of being discussed, by someone completely unrelated to your discussion, what would your reaction be?

To be honest, when I replied to this originally, I did not actually know of Brit's version whatsoever, but that doesn't really clear up the timing of the release of James' mods to our discussions about them on discord...Literally within a day or two of us discussing the same idea, on 3-4 different topics.

This isn't some sort of attempt at getting him to remove them... I acknowledge that it's his own code. There is no question about that.
But I felt I needed to get it off my chest. Again, I hope you can understand why we felt like we were at least slightly wronged. It felt like we were being unwittingly farmed for ideas.

Ramsis

Would hate for this thread to devolve past being civil... Just saying...

Past that I am confused James, I am a member of the Discord and did indeed watch these ideas come to thought so close to you releasing them. While I personally don't care as it's not technically written in stone that you can't just pluck ideas and make them it does kind of hit that dick move locale if you're using ideas someone else came up with publicly and you couldn't even be bothered to give a "inspired by USER" credit somewhere.

Please clear some of this info up. Again, by forum rules you're not breaking any rules or anything so feel free to say what you will, I won't be punishing anybody unless we get a small flamewar started in here; I am just curious as to this really shady timeframe of yours.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

nachtfalter

Jamestec

Ok, some things to address things:

• I have a discord account, username Jamestec, created last year (I keep my welcome and verification emails) when my clan in Warframe got one. Since the initial creation and login, I have not logged since, so if there are discord profiles, you will see my last long login was 1 year ago. If there's no such thing, maybe there's join logs or a welcome message for new users. I will login to discord to show that it's the first time I've been in that server if you want.
  • Why would I join discord? it's not even in the mods section. I know the existence of this other chat server for modders, but I never took interest because there's a Mods > Help section.
  • If you read the comments in my code and the message when the mod loads, I give credit where credit is due. There's literally no benefit for me in lying about that; I wouldn't be an ass just because, that would makes no sense.
  • I get my ideas from my own gameplay and reddit. Copying bills and replacing walls is something everyone who runs a successful colony encounters. Before I started work on JTCopyBills and JTReplaceWalls, I made sure that there wasn't a mod that did the same thing (why would I waste my time recreating a mod that's already out there), I googled rimworld copy bill and rimworld replace wall and the like on the forums; all the results were just suggestions dating back in a range of ~ a year

I only have 2 QoL mods (excluding JTBetterHauling), all the other mods are purely (minus some easy ones done on request) to shape the game into what I want to play; I'm interested in what other mods I apparently duplicated.
So are there 3 mods that replace walls? I gather DarkSlayerEX and erdelf are working together, but then "I did not actually know of Brit's version whatsoever".

To stop the overlapping of mods, this is my current mods idea list:

• Seperate folders in save location for seperate colony - different versions? save previous version assembly, core and mods - switch between?
  • Find stockpile - seperate building with button for snap to a stockpile
  • Save stockpile settings in file that can be loaded - right click to load an option or right click select already loaded option?
  • Expand stockpile while you have it selected - button, reuse normal stockpile desig, but different place?
  • Better hauling - haul degradable items first, only within 50 cells
  • Connected building - builds connected buildings when force build 1 - force into build mode for a radius?
  • Easier build quality - possibility to always make legendary at certain skill level - with tools cabinet (like how you can 100% tend to wound)
  • AlternateIncapable - incapable is now same as no fire (learn 33%), but doubles joy depletion when doing
  • Walls give beauty - depending on stuff it's made of, dirt walls?
  • Save bill copy as template in file that can be loaded - like stockpiles, reverse bill expose?
  • Auto build walls after mining - allow placing blueprint over wild stone, assign mining to wild stone when done (just a button that places blueprint and mines at same time)
  • Remove 6 second steam workshop yes delay
  • Update steam workshop description to about description
  • Edit:
  • Mods mismatch - display new/old, which ones moved in order instead of dump
  • Build diagonally - look into drag
  • Better rescue - drag new path?
  • Multiplayer mod - pass user building clicks, force clicks and settings to host, host calculates everything, psuedo separate colonists - host would need to keep updating client with new map - probably local only
  • Butchering humanlike only for LoS
  • Reinstall group of building - need compat with CopyBills

The better hauling is done now and I'll probably take a break from modding since I haven't actually played RimWorld for a couple of days (just restarting it over and over and over). Detouring the way I am atm is the only way I know how to do it, so please share the better ways.

kaptain_kavern

I was sure you were on Reddit too. We saw the same requests :p

That's why I took on me to reply there and try to talk you all about this (already happened to me - But maybe I shouldn't have because i'm no mod, sorry). I don't use Discord either and I saw the same idea/request, those ideas were often requested/modded during RW history.

QuoteI'll probably take a break from modding since I haven't actually played RimWorld for a couple of days (just restarting it over and over and over)
Haha I feel you man, I haven't play since A13 ^^

Dingo

I think there's almost no point in flaming authors for their mods. If two people see the same suggestion / request (or have the same idea individually), they can both release their own mod. As long as you're not stealing code without permission it's not like you're losing money to corporate spies.

If you Discord-using folk think you can make a similar mod that's more compatible, structured better, higher quality, more fleshed out etc. etc. you're free to do so with your own ideas and code. Users will flock to your mod when they begin having issues with a lower-quality option. If you published your code somewhere and you see it plagiarised by anyone that is an entirely different discussion.

Jamestec

Updated JTCopyBills; Version 1.4 fixes ingredients list being linked after pasting. I recommend updating to version 1.4 (latest as of 16/10/16). Pasting no longer removes old bills since deleting bills is easy. If you have Crafting Hysteresis, pasting vanilla bills will convert them to Crafting Hysteresis bills to aid using Crafting Hysteresis if you pick it up mid-game.

Updated JTReplaceWalls; previous update broke checking if not same stuff for walls, version 1.2 fixes this.

Since I didn't really announce this:
New mod JTBetterHauling; prioritises hauling degradable items based on areas. Mod description for further detail.
New mod JTMoreAreas; unlimited areas and GUI fix to work with more than 10 areas.

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Jamestec on October 16, 2016, 02:46:40 AM
If you have Crafting Hysteresis, pasting vanilla bills will convert them to Crafting Hysteresis bills to aid using Crafting Hysteresis if you pick it up mid-game.

I don't know if everyone noticed those kind of tiny things but let me say how I find this clever,useful and well thought out!

Also for both of you guys (Dingo and James) : I made you some advertising for your works  ;D

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Jamestec

Update JTBetterHauling; redone to reduce detours with XML.
Update JTReplaceWalls; placing walls and doors on mineable will cause mineable to automatically be set to be mined.

New joke mod JTBetterHaulingAnimals; Makes all the animals on the map instantly haul for you. Accidentally made this when redoing JTBetterhauling and thought it was pretty funny seeing a bunch of different animals compete to haul all the items for you.

Serenity

Some nice stuff there should be part of vanilla. Like copying bills and replacing things without deconstructing

masterpain

Having trouble with CopyBills

Dont know if I'm doing this right but I cant get it to work. I assume this is like copying stockpile zones. Create bills on stonecutters table 1, hit "Copy Bills". Go to stonecutters table 2 and hit "Paste Bills" right? It does not work for me. I am able to copy and paste stockpile zones like normal but not Bills. Am I doing something wrong?

Jamestec

Quote from: masterpain on October 17, 2016, 08:24:17 PM
Having trouble with CopyBills

Dont know if I'm doing this right but I cant get it to work. I assume this is like copying stockpile zones. Create bills on stonecutters table 1, hit "Copy Bills". Go to stonecutters table 2 and hit "Paste Bills" right? It does not work for me. I am able to copy and paste stockpile zones like normal but not Bills. Am I doing something wrong?

Attached is a special debug build of JTCopyBills. To help me help you, please do the following:
Download and extract the attached to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods\
Start RimWorld, disable JTCopyBills and enable JTCopyBillsDebug, then close RimWorld (this is not optional). Start RimWorld again, load a save/new game (doesn't matter if it says mods changed), try to copy and paste bills, close RimWorld, then go to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\output_log.txt
and attach that to a reply. Please note the log file resets each time you start RimWorld so don't start RimWorld again until you have either copied the log or attached it to a reply.

Edit: unrelated note - if you manually downloaded JTBetterHauling version 1.3 (look at mod description in-game), please get the latest 1.4, 1.3 can't prioritise with right-click properly.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]